Just had to be ...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nham68
Well taken goal by Cureton .. Turn, run, direct, class finish.
Maybe Yates forgot to put reminder in his calendar to offer contract... A lesson here .. If you have proven goal scorer, keep him.. Like gold dust in this league...
51/84
Still offside all the time
Dont remember him scoring one on ones like that for us
DingDing
51/84 wrote:Still offside all the time
Did you miss the game when he scored a more difficult one against AFC Wimbledon in the last minute?
51/84
No I didnt it was from memory a mistake by their defender that he pounced on
Last season there was no pace, admittedly it was taylor he beat.
Were you at Tamworth DingDong
Nham68
51/84 wrote:Still offside all the time

Disagree...he absolutely skinned Taylor for Pace from onside position .. Always looked a threat for us I thought , especially given our style of play last year was hardly quality he created a lot of chances from little service.m
Robin
Cureton was easilly our technically best striker, would love him back here now given what we're left with.
CTFC03
Cureton was a liability despite having a decent return, could and should have scored 20 at least with the chances he had.
Nesty
I am not upset he went, but sad he wasnt replaced
Nham68
CTFC03 wrote:Cureton was a liability despite having a decent return, could and should have scored 20 at least with the chances he had.
And can you see our forwards getting into double figures this season ? Cureton scored 11 in a dire side .. With this side, I would anticipate a good haul...
Robin
In what way was he a liability? One of the few shining lights last season but I agree should have scored more.
CTFC03
We relied on him getting onto the end of crosses/through balls which he did but either bottled the chance or was a yard offside therefore giving possession away and a chance for the opposition to re-group.
Si Robin
Robin, you keep painting this picture that Cureton was brilliant last season. He wasn't.

Without doubt he is technically a very good striker, but he missed a lot more simple chances last year than he scored. There were games where was offside so much that I thought he was a goal-hanger from the Clyde Crescent park.

By his own admission, his time here was poor. We had a shocking team last year, he was a big part of it. Whilst he scored a couple of great goals, the misses at Tamworth (shocking by my own standards and I'm shite, let alone a player with 250 Football League goals to his name) and in other games live longer in the memory than the ones he scored.

The only shining lights for me last season were Scott Brown and (at the very end of the season) the potential of Joe Hanks.
Robin
Cureton actually was below expectation in my eyes but still one of our best players last year.
Alf
A striker is as good as the service he receives.
Sprout Picker
Alf wrote:A striker is as good as the service he receives.
But as others have said, Curo missed a sackful of chances last season, most notably in the Tamworth game.
paperboy
Sprout Picker wrote:
But as others have said, Curo missed a sackful of chances last season, most notably in the Tamworth game.
The Tamworth game was pivotal and we had to let Russ go on the back of that to shuffle the pack.

all history now and we move on.
solihullkev
paperboy - we let Russ Penn go as he was appalling last season. he was an utter embarrassment at Tamworth, subbed at half time as he was so far off the pace.

York City have won one game in 11 this season silencing the Penn and Lowe wistful nostalgic acolytes
tunnelvision
Like England v Uruguay - only one player we needed to watch, yet he still manages to score :(
Joey
solihullkev wrote:paperboy - we let Russ Penn go as he was appalling last season. he was an utter embarrassment at Tamworth, subbed at half time as he was so far off the pace.

York City have won one game in 11 this season silencing the Penn and Lowe wistful nostalgic acolytes
Letting go of Russ was still a mistake and they've been drawing most of those so it's hardly any fault on either of them.
Sprout Picker wrote:
Our strikers have an appalling conversion rate for this season. Cureton has scored something like 5, so better than all of our current strikers combined.
51/84
Joey wrote:
solihullkev wrote:
Our strikers have an appalling conversion rate for this season. Cureton has scored something like 5, so better than all of our current strikers combined.
Just for clarification is something like 5 the same as 4, so we can say the hanks has scored something like 4 then
Joey
51/84 wrote:
Joey wrote:
solihullkev wrote:
Just for clarification is something like 5 the same as 4, so we can say the hanks has scored something like 4 then
I didn't have the exact figure and couldn't be bothered to look it up.

Boo hoo.
Alf
tunnelvision wrote:Like England v Uruguay - only one player we needed to watch, yet he still manages to score :(
Which is exactly why players like that are in a slightly different class.
I think it was a mistake to let him go.
Sprout Picker
Sprout Picker wrote:
Our strikers have an appalling conversion rate for this season. Cureton has scored something like 5, so better than all of our current strikers combined.[/quote]
I never said they don't. I was merely questioning Alf's statement that a striker is as good as the service he receives - JC must have had some service to have missed all those chances last season.
Alf
Sprout Picker wrote:
Sprout Picker wrote:
I never said they don't. I was merely questioning Alf's statement that a striker is as good as the service he receives - JC must have had some service to have missed all those chances last season.[/quote]

At div 2 level I don't think you can expect a striker to put every chance away just as you cannot expect the keeper to save every shot on goal.
It doesn't happen at Premier level, why should we expect otherwise?
Sprout Picker
Alf wrote: At div 2 level I don't think you can expect a striker to put every chance away just as you cannot expect the keeper to save every shot on goal.
It doesn't happen at Premier level, why should we expect otherwise?
Totally agree Alf, my gripe was that JC missed chances I would have expected him to score with ease. Or to put it another way, chances I would have been disappointed to see missed at the local park.
CheltRobin
Cureton should've scored about 20 with the chances he had last season. Even he admitted he had a disappointing goals return. Shame that we didn't sign him, but not at all surprised that he scored against us.