Burton Albion v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Chat, debate, team news, updates and reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/vBurtonAlbionAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malabus
Looks set up to bring on the subs to make a big impact.
cliffy90
It's time Byron Harrison was dropped, his performances recently have been embarrassing. The lack of goals is very worrying.
51/84
Just got back unfortunate not to score but we didnt
Harrison looked much better in the second when Gornell was on
Marquis does not use the ball other than for himself
Persistent fouling allows the game to swing away
Troy lucky not to get a red
Too far away to see what started it but Troy was doing a good impersonation of Jason

Much better 2nd half
A draw would have been just reward but we dont score goals

We need to score goals end off
Joey
A fair result would have been a draw but once again we did not make the most of our chances. We created little in the first half and Black failed to fill the role which Jason Taylor has fulfilled out so well throughout the season. Burton could have had two if wasn't for Trev, once again saving us.

Burton did a good job of keeping our wing-backs silent, Vaughan and CBB were regularly doubled on but Vaughan created more between the two. The chances that did occur the strikers failed to make the most of. Harrison appears to be lacking sharpness, a bit slow off the mark at times and his positioning could have been better. There were moments where if he had positioned himself a better or reacted faster then he could have had a decent chance. However our strikers inability to convert chances to goals was epitomised when both Harrison and Gornell both missed a cross in from Vaughan in which a touch would have meant a goal.

Based on De Vita's brief spell he should be a threat for us, I find it hard to be critical of the team except for the strikers as they all put a good shift in. As Yates said in his interview, hopefully for the Wimbledon game we will have some decent officials because once again it was a case of inconsistency, ignorance and plain stupidity from them.
CheltRobin
Good summary Joey - I echo your thoughts. Byron now needs dropping. He's had enough of a run now to try and score, but he looks nowhere near the player we saw in final part of last season.

Also, we need another striker in as Marquis must be close to 5 yellow cards as well. Lucky not to be booked again yesterday. Don't want to take the fight out of his play, but he does give away some unessasary fouls - needs to curb that part of his game.
CheltRobin
Plus point thou - after a poor 1st half were Burton bullied us, at least we matched up in the 2nd half, even if we couldnt get the deserved equaliser.
ghandi
What is the problem with Byron Harrison,is it mental or physical?You can't have the rest of the team putting in a full shift & him just going through the motion's.They say he has a "languid" style of play,which i thought mean't laid back,but the dictionary says "lacking vigour or vitality".That just about sums him up at the moment.No more arm round the shoulder yatesy,send him home with a dvd of jules alsop playing and tell him to look & learn!
Joey
ghandi wrote:What is the problem with Byron Harrison,is it mental or physical?You can't have the rest of the team putting in a full shift & him just going through the motion's.They say he has a "languid" style of play,which i thought mean't laid back,but the dictionary says "lacking vigour or vitality".That just about sums him up at the moment.No more arm round the shoulder yatesy,send him home with a dvd of jules alsop playing and tell him to look & learn!
I do wonder how much of an effect Cureton had on his game.
CheltRobin
Good point. He's not the same player since he left.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Byron and Cureton both spoke last season about how the elder man helped the younger. Byron is a confidence player and needs self belief. Cureton said a few times Byron could play a lot higher with more confidence in himself and Byron responded. So it might be that Byron is not enjoying it so much this season and it has a knock on to matchday.

Still, a narrow defeat to the team top of the league is not something to get too worked up about.
CheltRobin
Extra shooting practice for the strikers vs defence in training this week me thinks.
51/84
Listen to Norths video and they already do that
CheltRobin
Lets hope it pays off soon then!
little mo
I thought the first half we were awful and they were not much better. Second half we improved a lot and no way did we deserve to lose that. On the subject of Harrison, I said to my son at half time that if Yatesy subs him now he wont need a shower because he sure as hell didn't break into a sweat. He did play better second half, but that wouldn't have been difficult.
CheltRobin
Be very interested to know what's going on inside Byron's head at the mo. He's a complex fella to fatham out.