One goal in five games

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CheltRobin
Or maybe also give Jamal Lawerence a sub run out too?
Reliant Robin
I think it is worth bearing in mind that we have lost very narrowly to Burton, Luton and Southend (the latter we played with only 10 men for more than half the game) and those three teams are all very likely to be right up there come the end of the season. I agree we have a squad smaller than I would like and I agree we are not yet hitting the net enough, but we are not far off being a very decent side & I haven't seen anything yet in this league that we should fear. I remain confident that our goalscoring will improve and we will be more than a match for most of the teams in this league. Keep the faith.
CheltRobin
Will do, but Byron needs to up his game thou. Gornell and Marquis are putting in much more effort at the mo.
everyman
Peter Griffin wrote:We're creating chances I guess.

Like Harrison said, I think some time soon we're going to give someone a hiding. Harrison, Gornell and Marquis all need one to get their confidence flowing.
I suspect Byron is anticipating an F.A.C. tie against a lower level survivor ?
CheltRobin
Like Tamworth?
PB is the man
Reliant Robin wrote:I think it is worth bearing in mind that we have lost very narrowly to Burton, Luton and Southend (the latter we played with only 10 men for more than half the game) and those three teams are all very likely to be right up there come the end of the season. I agree we have a squad smaller than I would like and I agree we are not yet hitting the net enough, but we are not far off being a very decent side & I haven't seen anything yet in this league that we should fear. I remain confident that our goalscoring will improve and we will be more than a match for most of the teams in this league. Keep the faith.
This.
asl
Reliant Robin wrote:I think it is worth bearing in mind that we have lost very narrowly to Burton, Luton and Southend
Whereas the games we've won have all been thrashings by 3 or 4 goals?
Alf
CheltRobin wrote:Once again, we created enough chances yesterday as we have done in the last half dozen matches to win every time. 1 day, we're gonna smash a team by 4 or 5 - but I hope it's sooner rather than later.

2 goals in 6 doesn't make for good reading, but at least we are keeping it relatively tight at the back whilst we're not scoring.

OS-J should've come on in the 2nd half to liven things up earlier. Byron needs to be rested, bring Terry in and hopefully another new striker - fingers crossed it works.

We are doing everything but score at the mo.
Know what you mean but I would rather see us winning a few games one nil than have to wait for the day when everything goes our way and we smash a team by four or five goals. Every team will have its 'day in the sun' where everything goes right and every chance goes in but this is no indication of general improvement or success if the following couple of games we lose one or two nil again.
Also thought Leo's comment was right on the nail.
trickster
leohoenig wrote:At the start of the season, if one says to me that after ten games, our record would show 4 wins against 3 defeats, for 15 points then I would certainly have been happy with the forecast. However, as we did not lose in the first five, while we have not won in the last five, some are already ring the alarm bells.
As I have stated before, I thought that Yates' time should have been up in the summer, but as he has been kept on I now want to be shown to be wrong. I always feel there are a few who write on here who would prefer to be right in predicting things will run against us.

The stats do of course show some of the story, only one team has scored fewer goals than us in the division (Hartlepool), but on the other hand, only one has conceded fewer (Wycombe). I do not feel this is particularly about taking chances, as I feel all teams at this level need to create three or four opportunities for every one they convert. We need to get the ball into the box more often, with more players in and around the area as it comes in - and then more goals will come. Whether or not such a change actually improves results is another matter. If we increased the number of goals scored by one per game, but increased the number conceded at a greater rate, is this a change worth making?

My real problems with the side this season are twofold. Firstly I appear to be losing the connection. I am finding it hard to identify with the players wearing the red and white, and hence to invest in them as individuals. Secondly, there has not been enough football that has made my heart beat faster - and if there have been two players that I have found exciting in Cheltenham shirts this season, then both have been recalled from their loans back to their home clubs.

So while it is unfair to be too critical of a side that has picked up 15 points in the opening 10 games, I cannot help the nagging doubts I have. Sunday doubts, after a dull defeat are to be expected though. I can feel sure that I will feel better by three o'clock next Saturday as I take my place in the paddock

I think the reaction to our resent poor form as been fairly moderate although to be honest we have had our moments in most of the games, but our old Achilles heel of not being able to score again raises its ugly head, considering the amount of “I told you so” and “Yates is the man” threads after just a few games this season I believe the response to that now that thing are not quite so rosy has been very reasonable no one’s over reacted to the early baiting.

But it won’t be long before the fans that were calling for change show their colours, the real fans have stuck with the team even if they were not entirely happy with the situation, it’s still early in the season and we are in a good position in the table but if we don’t start winning the odd game it won’t be long before results become the only thing that matter,
THECHOIRBOY
Cureton, Duffy, Harrad, Thomas, Goulding, Benson, Spencer

I agree with a lot that is written in this thread but the original list makes interesting reading.

All strikers that, with exception of Thomas and Goulding, came to us with some reputation yet very much caused mixed opinion amongst the terraces.

Cureton / Duffy very much caused debate on here so I don't think an experienced striker is always the solution (though personally i would have kept Cureton if the deal was right)
Joey
leohoenig wrote:At the start of the season, if one says to me that after ten games, our record would show 4 wins against 3 defeats, for 15 points then I would certainly have been happy with the forecast. However, as we did not lose in the first five, while we have not won in the last five, some are already ring the alarm bells.
As I have stated before, I thought that Yates' time should have been up in the summer, but as he has been kept on I now want to be shown to be wrong. I always feel there are a few who write on here who would prefer to be right in predicting things will run against us.

The stats do of course show some of the story, only one team has scored fewer goals than us in the division (Hartlepool), but on the other hand, only one has conceded fewer (Wycombe). I do not feel this is particularly about taking chances, as I feel all teams at this level need to create three or four opportunities for every one they convert. We need to get the ball into the box more often, with more players in and around the area as it comes in - and then more goals will come. Whether or not such a change actually improves results is another matter. If we increased the number of goals scored by one per game, but increased the number conceded at a greater rate, is this a change worth making?

My real problems with the side this season are twofold. Firstly I appear to be losing the connection. I am finding it hard to identify with the players wearing the red and white, and hence to invest in them as individuals. Secondly, there has not been enough football that has made my heart beat faster - and if there have been two players that I have found exciting in Cheltenham shirts this season, then both have been recalled from their loans back to their home clubs.

So while it is unfair to be too critical of a side that has picked up 15 points in the opening 10 games, I cannot help the nagging doubts I have. Sunday doubts, after a dull defeat are to be expected though. I can feel sure that I will feel better by three o'clock next Saturday as I take my place in the paddock
Aldershot had a similar issue of having a sure defence but not being able score any goal and in the end it got them relegated (this might need fact checking). It was something that was nagging at the back of mind at the start of the season that if Byron was to get injured we'd be in a difficult spot. Unfortunately he's just not scoring goals. What the team needs in my opinion is a striker who can put themselves in the right spot at the right time, allowing him to tap it in which was what Cureton did and we should have kept him.

I'm trying to find to a way to disagree with the problems you perceive because I'd like them not to be true but I can't. The players so far have gained my respect and I find plenty of them speak well in interviews such as Carson and Matt Taylor. The same with the the football on the pitch, it isn't as bad as last season but it's hardly spectacular. Perhaps we just need to start giving some teams a thumping in terms of scoreline. A large part of the reason I hold players of the past in such high regard is because of the results they got this club and the passion they did it with. The 1-0 over Martin Allen's Gillingham, 3-1 away to Oxford and 2-1 win over Hereford in the FA cup are just a few of the two excellent seasons we had in ruby. Getting results like that would give us something exciting to watch and boost the relationship between fans.

And a small question which is slightly off the topic, does anyone what position Shaun North played when he was player (if he did play football)?
Robin

Interesting post Leo, one I could 100% relate to last season. This year I feel a lot more positive even if we don't have a good season we won't (I expect) have a really awful one (i.e. in the bottom few spots). In terms of associating with the players what is missing is it the constant upheaval that lower league football appears to be heading or something else?
Reliant Robin
asl wrote:
Reliant Robin wrote:I think it is worth bearing in mind that we have lost very narrowly to Burton, Luton and Southend
Whereas the games we've won have all been thrashings by 3 or 4 goals?
Not sure whether you are trying to

1. antagonise,
2. attempt to ridicule,
3. just showing indifferent exasperation ...

However, if you had read my complete post you will have noticed that I also said, "we are not yet hitting the net enough" so I don't understand why you felt the need to respond in the way you did? If you are going to quote me then do have the decency to include the full picture rather than twist a quote into something completely different to suit your agenda.
THECHOIRBOY
Looks like Koby may get some game time after injury

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f ... 57#rlabs=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
Just adding balance: your whole post (I deliberately tend not to waste bandwidth by quoting entire posts, needlessly) appeared to say that the margin in the games we had lost were indicative that we were very close to being a decent side. I was suggesting that the margins of the games we had won could be indicative of the opposite. I thought that balance was fair - apologies if you did not.
Shade
To be fair, most of the games we have won we should have won comfortably, and most of the games we haven't won we should have gotten more from the game. I can only think of Southend being the only game where the opposition have rightfully won based on the number of chances created. All other draws and defeats we should have stuck a couple of goals away and probably had as many, if not more/better, chances than the opposition.
Malabus
Shade wrote:To be fair, most of the games we have won we should have won comfortably, and most of the games we haven't won we should have gotten more from the game. I can only think of Southend being the only game where the opposition have rightfully won based on the number of chances created. All other draws and defeats we should have stuck a couple of goals away and probably had as many, if not more/better, chances than the opposition.
The referee gave Southend an extremely large amount of help.
Shade
Well yeah obviously the ref was diabolical in that game and contributed towards us not having anywhere near as many chances.
CheltRobin
Koby has started tonight for Brum. Winning free kicks and having shots blocked.
CheltRobin
Koby booked.
Malabus
CheltRobin wrote:Koby booked.
Animal.
CheltRobin
Arthur replaced by......Wes "Broken Sat Nav"Thomas! It's an ex-Robins love-in at Brum these days!
CheltRobin
Thomas scores!
everyman
Nesty wrote:

wise words (as ever) Leo.... especially the bit about "connection with players" which I commented on last season ("heroes" / "Legends") - come on how many of this bunch will go down as "legends" ?? Hanks maybe as he is local and if he continues to progress - and Carson
Interesting to read those thoughts now ?