worth every penny

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
well .... I really enjoyed that - (apart from some diabolical refereeing decisions that is). we could have and should have scored more, but then Northampton fans will say the same.

Great team effort - everyone pulling in the same direction, no prima dona's

Carson - all round game is exceptional - kicks with both feet, heads well and distribution timely and concise. Scotty ? who ? - 8

Vaughan - he's growing in confidence - well done lad - 7
Brown - a few dodgy moments, and a few excellent blocks - 6
Taylor - missed him when he went off - 7
Elliott - solid - 7
CBB - linked well with Eusebio , continues to prove us doubters wrong - 7

Taylor - not a great game - 5
Richards - gets some stick but put in a shift today - 7
Gornell - scored 2 could have had at least 4 - he gets in positions - pleased for him - 9

Harrison - better from him today - but we looked better as a team when he went off, 6
Eusebio - well played lad - 7

subs
Marquis - links well with Gornell - 7
Deaman - a few scary moments - 5
Hanks - came on to shore up the midfield

ref - pedantic, inconsistent, annoying - blew his whistle like a demented budgie when we were taking throw ins - let them take them where they wanted
stevec
Agree with all of the above, even thought Byron put himself about (eventually), Marquis needs to be tied up on loan for the rest of the season and welcome back to the singers - it actually felt like being at a football match !
solihullkev
I was pleased with performance.

I know Terry scored two goals, but he should have had four - shocking lack of control in first minute and placed free header at the keeper second half, so couldn't have given him MOM.

Thought RIchards had a good game - excellent free kick for second goal. CBB and Eusebio linked well second half. Harrison had his best game for ages. Carson's header class.

Enjoyable afternoon.
art vandalay
I thought Northampton looked pretty good, had the better of the game and must be wondering how they didn't get at least a point. Too much hoofball from us, especially in the first half, but it was pleasing that we didn't cave-in after conceding a goal and you couldn't fault our players for effort. Although our approach play left much to be desired, we still seemed to cause them problems at the back and got a fair few shots at goal, with Brown deserving praise for getting a head to Richards' deflected free-kick to set-up the third.
Si Robin
solihullkev wrote:I was pleased with performance.

I know Terry scored two goals, but he should have had four - shocking lack of control in first minute and placed free header at the keeper second half, so couldn't have given him MOM.

Thought RIchards had a good game - excellent free kick for second goal. CBB and Eusebio linked well second half. Harrison had his best game for ages. Carson's header class.

Enjoyable afternoon.
I think you're doing they're keeper a huge disservice. An absolutely superb instinct save.
solihullkev
It was straight at him - two feet plus either side and he scores. Don't give the keeper a chance.
Robin
Maybe a little controversial but we played a lot of dire hoofball today and seemed to have a lack of ideas. Gornell got two but missed two absolute sitters so still a big improvement required. We also need to be thankful that Mo is poor otherwise we may have lost that game.

On the positive side I thought we were slightly better of what appeared to be two average teams. Trevor was superb without needing to make a lot of saves, Byron was improved without being spectactle, Eusibio could be a real find, CBB was also good.
CTFC03
We scored at good times which helped us today. Could have been a different story if Mohamed had buried his chance at 1-1 but a win was what we needed, a win on Tuesday puts us right in the play off mix.
trickster
I thought it was a good performance with bags of effort, we are never going to knock it about like Real Madrid, I believe if the team puts in a shift and we win then there isn’t much point in being picky it’s not like it was off a long run of wins we needed a result and got one.

If we can build on this then we are heading in the right direction, agree with the points, Carson is my favourite player at the moment but did he prove he’s human with his handling of their second goal, he indicated he’d been fouled but it looked like a bit of a flap to me, he’s still one of the best keepers we’ve had.
51/84
here we go again one win and we are in the promotion places etc

It was a poor game of football but a decent match
Carson Elliot and Gornell did better than the rest
LM and RM required if playing 4 across the middle
Eusabio is a Damian with a bit extra - could end up in the prem or non league
Brown and Deaman were poor inspit of the manager saying other
J Taylor was poor refound last seasons standards
Richards was a pussycat but did try for 90 minutes
Marquis I thought did well but could have had a straight red for use of elbow/arm

Yates and North some how got away with it but please dont try that formation again this week
M Taylor will miss about 4 matches
Si Robin
You watched a completely different game to me 51/84.

Jason Taylor showed what we were missing when he was suspended. It's not necessarily brilliant technique, but it's the bite he gives the team. At one point he went in for a header in the 1st half, he didn't really try to win it but what he did was just put his head into the back of the Cobbler's player's head to let him know he was there. He sometimes loses his temper, which is a risk with this type of player, but by God we miss his bite when he's not there. Also, he has a hell of a strike and fair play to the Cobblers players for daring to get in the way of his long rangers today.

Regarding the rest, attacking I thought we looked quite dangerous and Gornell showed how good he can be when he has a bit of confidence. Eusebio and CBB (who was fantastic going forward again) linked up brilliantly down the left. Byron looked better, but Marquis looked a much better partner for Terry who, whilst he is the in-form striker (2 in 2 now), should be starting as the number one up front.

Defensively, we looked a bit lost when Taylor went off. I don't think Brown or Deaman did much wrong, they just didn't look too confident. I loved how everyone threw their bodies on the line at the end. That sort of pressure last season would have seen us concede.

Regarding where I see us now. We are 10th, finish there at the end of the season and I won't be too disappointed. We're going to have winning runs and losing runs, but as long as the players give their all then I'll be happy. We may not have won for 7 League games before today, but unlike last season we haven't looked awful at any point. We're a world away from last season and that will do me.
Sprout Picker
Robin wrote:Maybe a little controversial but we played a lot of dire hoofball today and seemed to have a lack of ideas. Gornell got two but missed two absolute sitters so still a big improvement required. We also need to be thankful that Mo is poor otherwise we may have lost that game.

On the positive side I thought we were slightly better of what appeared to be two average teams. Trevor was superb without needing to make a lot of saves, Byron was improved without being spectacle, Eusibio could be a real find, CBB was also good.
Robin, can I ask why you mention Mo if you consider him so poor?

Personally, I thought he did ok, caused us some problems and was unfortunate not to score.

Pretty much agree with the thoughts elsewhere on this thread. Carson continues to show he's a class act (fouled for their second?), Deaman did well in the centre of the three. Brown did his job, Steve Elliott an absolute rock late on putting himself on the line. CBB, got forward well, won tackles, good stuff. Vaughan similar. Couple of good efforts on goal from Taylor, lovely freekick from Matt Richards for the second.

Byron showed some nice touches, Terry scored 2 but could have had 4 or 5, Eusabio very neat and tidy on the ball and definitely adds something to the team.

Sort of game we could have lost, drawn or won, quite entertaining slightly spoilt by the ref stopping the action a little too often.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
11-10 in the head to head now.

3-2 will enhance the team scored most against/conceded most against stats. Will we ever tire of playing them!
Robin
I mentioned Mo because we were debating at the game about whether he was good enough for our team, I argued his decision making was poor and I felt he showed that again yesterday. It was the same old head down run and lack of awareness that was so frustrating here.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just seen it on football league show. Hardly poor enough to merit mention. Good move into space and a good effort unlucky to hit the post.

How first and third goals were pretty scrambly. Northampton won't be happy with that defending.
CS85
Moscored double figures in one if not both of the seasons he was with us from a wide position.something our strikers may not do this season.
I'd have mo back in a flash.
As for the game £23quid rip off. Shocking standard of football for the majority of the game unless our tactic was to hoof the ball towards cresswell for 80 mins.
despite the poor football the effort and commitment was there which you can't fault,but I feel we do go long far to much especially when we are up against a beast of a centre back like cresswell.
solihullkev
We watched a different game CS - we attacked just as much down the flanks, Eusebio and CBB linking up to some effect. To the extent we played the ball to Harrison he won his fair share and controlled it well.

Any notion we are a long ball team is fanciful and incorrect.
I-Love-CTFC
Mo was ready to take his shirt off and start celebrating when his shot hit the post.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:We watched a different game CS - we attacked just as much down the flanks, Eusebio and CBB linking up to some effect. To the extent we played the ball to Harrison he won his fair share and controlled it well.

It's all relative. Compared to the Prem it no doubt looks awful. But it's L2 so what do people expect?
51/84
I agree 85 we did not play football but we did hoof
i didnt see much of Eusabio and CBB playing together
CBB was often isolated
CS85
Eusebio had about 4 touches in the first half,because as I said we punted the ball up to our forward who lost a shed load of headers to cresswell. Second half Yep used the flanks a little better. But still far to much long ball which is boring to watch.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
solihullkev wrote:We watched a different game CS - we attacked just as much down the flanks, Eusebio and CBB linking up to some effect. To the extent we played the ball to Harrison he won his fair share and controlled it well.

It's all relative. Compared to the Prem it no doubt looks awful. But it's L2 so what do people expect?
I would imagine the crux of the problem is that people are hard up financially, watching CTFC is expensive and Prem football can be watched for not too much more.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
robin wrote:
I would imagine the crux of the problem is that people are hard up financially, watching CTFC is expensive and Prem football can be watched for not too much more.
I was just talking about how good the game was in the eyes of those at the game, not about why people don't come. I.e. one person above said it was poor hoofball and one says it was good play, and my point was it depends on what you expect from league two and how you would define it as good.
C.V
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
robin wrote:
I was just talking about how good the game was in the eyes of those at the game, not about why people don't come. I.e. one person above said it was poor hoofball and one says it was good play, and my point was it depends on what you expect from league two and how you would define it as good.

Hence the gates falling to below 2000 home fans its poor value for money
Robin
I've been open in saying that league two is poor standard, yesterday was two mediocre teams for the league and there was a lot of route one football from both of them in my view.
taxidave
Robin wrote: I would imagine the crux of the problem is that people are hard up financially, watching CTFC is expensive and Prem football can be watched for not too much more.
Strange that you should say that, because RCS, on another thread said.....
Maybe too rich and too many non-Cheltonians living there.
Robin
When I was at school we were taught there were more working class than upper class areas in Cheltenham, that may have changed over time but more likely RCS is living in his own dream world again.

I also suspect that RCS comes from a posh family and believes all of Cheltenham to be like that, from my experience the town itself is very middle class. I grew up in one of about half a dozen working class neighbourhoods, I was lucky enough to go to university and I am fortunate enough to have a well paid job but even still I find league two football expensive. Those I know from the areas I grew up with find it even more so and I suspect a large chunk of our support come from areas like Whaddon, Hestersway, Arle Farm, St Pauls, St Peters etc where football is far more popular than horse racing or rugby.

I'll admit I may be well out but the only posh areas where there may be people too rich for football are like Montpellier, Battledown and a few parts of Charlton Kings, I doubt that equates to more than 10% of the roughly 120,000 (or 135,000 if you count Cleeve) people living in the town.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:When I was at school we were taught there were more working class than upper class areas in Cheltenham, that may have changed over time but more likely RCS is living in his own dream world again.

I also suspect that RCS comes from a posh family and believes all of Cheltenham to be like that, from my experience the town itself is very middle class. I grew up in one of about half a dozen working class neighbourhoods, I was lucky enough to go to university and I am fortunate enough to have a well paid job but even still I find league two football expensive. Those I know from the areas I grew up with find it even more so and I suspect a large chunk of our support come from areas like Whaddon, Hestersway, Arle Farm, St Pauls, St Peters etc where football is far more popular than horse racing or rugby.

I'll admit I may be well out but the only posh areas where there may be people too rich for football are like Montpellier, Battledown and a few parts of Charlton Kings, I doubt that equates to more than 10% of the roughly 120,000 people living in the town.
Who was talking about posh people?

As for your assumptions about me, you really are showing your ignorant and nasty side. For the record:

My mum was the first in her family not born in a council house. I still have close relatives on Cromwell Rd and until they passed, on PE Way. My dad died when I was two so my mum as a 22 yr old brought me up and also decided to go back to college having not gone to uni after school. Spent most of my summer holidays in the reception and cleaning cupboards at the rec centre and lido as those are the part time jobs my mum and gran did. Went to Butlins every year with the grandparents such was the exoticness of our posh holidays. I got a bursary to a private primary school because they give some out to poor kids and similarly my university fees were grant funded after a means test assessment. I got the best education record of my family as they were working class. That's why I support Cheltenham as my mum and unle have been going since the 70s as that's what people did.

As for my assumptions about Cheltenham and elsewhere, having studied an MSc in the topic, worked for one urban policy 'think tank' and now for a local economic development consultancy I spend all my time analysing data and reviewing policy so far from being an assumption my knowledge of local economies and demographics is current and expert. I know full well the average wage, unemployment, labour market skills and house prices and where to check so save us something you remember from your school days.

Please for once, as I beg on a weekly basis, stop spouting tosh and also please apologise to me for your false accusations about my life.

And let that be that.
Robin
The problem is RCS you regularly spout rubbish and don't like being pulled up for it, hence my comments.
Si Robin
Mr Wendal
This place is notorious amongst ctfc fans for its members talking s#!t, probably why it's dead tbf
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:The problem is RCS you regularly spout rubbish and don't like being pulled up for it, hence my comments.
You will see many posts where I happily bow to greater knowledge and am happy to be corrected, admitting I am wrong and being glad to learn otherwise. (You never do but that is not the point I am making). I have no problem being pulled up on things and being corrected with contrary evidence and I can take as well as give; if you can read you will be aware of this.

So please will you apologise for your personal assumption and accusation about my family upbringing. You are a moderator after all. I am not asking to admit you are wrong, just to apologise to a poster on a forum you moderate for the reasons mentioned which are obvious.
Robin
I don't see any need to apologise to be honest, I haven't said anything against the forum rules. I am happy to be proven wrong and will admit it if I am but here I have simply given an opinion after another fan has called you out. That said, I have nothing against you and simply believe like me you allow your passion for CTFC to get the best of you sometimes.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I don't see any need to apologise to be honest, I haven't said anything against the forum rules. I am happy to be proven wrong and will admit it if I am but here I have simply given an opinion after another fan has called you out. That said, I have nothing against you and simply believe like me you allow your passion for CTFC to get the best of you sometimes.
So you randomly give an opinion, which after comments about general and football matters, was in fact an opinion unrelated to football and was actually just a made up inaccurate personal assumption about my family and family history, which as well as incorrect were also offensive, especially given how I pointed out I lost my father as a young child, and you still don't see any need to apologise?

That says (a) a hell of a lot about you as a human being and (b) a hell of a lot about this forum that moderators can make personal, false, attacks on people's families for no reason and then state they have no need to apologise.

This isn't a point scoring matter, it's not a football argument where we both think we are right - it's me asking you to retract and apologise for false assumptions you made about my family to try and back up an argument which they had nothing to do with, and in which there was no need to mention them or use their name falsely.

So again, please will you apologise for the comments made.
C.V
Young girls can you please take your tit for tat dramatics to Private Messages please we dont want this playground tripe on here.