Less than 2,000

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
home fans.

Not great!
51/84
I highlighted the clash with the racing today

Less than 2000 CTFC turned up today
What has always been a good fixture in the past ( apart for playoff semi) and was an entertaining match today, but the floaters decided to go to the racecourse. Some work others spectate at the racing
The club must really look at stopping these clashes
There was no rugger and the TV footy wasnt that big a draw
PB must be getting worried this always used to be a 3000+ match ( they brought 500+)
solihullkev
Those who didn't come missed a belter. Great game.
Robin
We were saying this used to be a 4000+ fixture and speculated it was barely 2500, I think a poor run of a form and the premium price would have put a lot off.
London Exile
Stevenage and Dagenham both had less than us today.
It'd be interesting to know if the premium price was dropped, what the attendance would've been?
Did we lose a few to the races and how many cobblers didn't travel due to the £23 admission
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
7,014 watched Forest Green win at The Mem.
London Exile
If only we could average 3,500 - 4,000 each home game, the increase in the playing budget could propel us into real promotion favourites
51/84
It would certainly reduce the losses
Robin
More worryingly there is a missing generation/demographic of fans, looking around today it's almost exclusively young teenage boys, old age pensioners or families, where is the traditional group of male football fans which tend to be the life blood of clubs up and down the country?

Talking with another forum poster today we both felt that the club does well to get the kids in but as soon as they start paying adult prices they find other things to do.
51/84
like go racing where the can get in cheap until they are 25!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A non representative sample: of the ten people I am most friendly with in my 25-35 bracket from Cheltenham one lives in Cheltenham, one in Bristol and the next closest is Surrey. A few of us may make a game or two during Easter or Christmas but apart from that we don't because we are too far away. The majority of my year in school live in London. I don't think that is uncommon for Cheltenham.

The one who lives in Cheltenham plays football on a Saturday afternoon anyway.

Then there are going to be ones who have families. Go to other sports/activities etc.

As discussed before, the social demographics of Cheltenham are not conducive to your ideal football crowd. Look at places like Bath, Worcester, Winchester, Canterbury, and a whole host of similar places and they don't have football teams of note, which shows how good we have done.
C.V
Its down to the day or experience.Pop over to Kingsholm they have it sussed out been a few times and the whole package is far superior.
robinsrule
The racing is not to blame per se. Racing traffic, however, could be. I've said it before - I don't know a single Cheltenham fan who goes to watch the racing. Mind you, I hardly know any Cheltenham fans anymore either!

I was just looking at away followings for the 72 FL clubs and we were about 69th last season. They also showed figures for the last 5 years. Clubs like Exeter and Cbesterfield (pop. 60,000) averaged about 600 over that period, last season we averaged 194 and only 303 in our near-promotion season. The people of Cheltenham have simply lost interest in their football club.

Football attendances are inversely proportional to body weight. It's easy to get fat but very hard to lose it again. Likewise, we had to build attendances over a number of years and even during our one very good recent season the fans were still missing.

I really don't know what we can do, especially without sustained success on the field. If we had Ronaldo and Messi up front the locals would still support Man U :(
51/84
There is a small group of us (8)who meet before and at half time
Yesterday 1 was racing, 1 was on holiday, 1 was playing footy,1 was working, 1 didnt appear so that left 4 of us.
Next home game v York 2 will be on holiday, 2 will be working 1 will be playing footy so at the most thats 3 yet is seasons past that was regular ST
Several others that I know in the under 30s were also racing yesterday
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
That's the crux of the matter I think 51/84.

Also, those on here who work at some of the large employees and finance firms, how many of your colleagues are not from Cheltenham and moved from elsewhere for work or other reasons? These people quite justifiably have no desire to pay £20 to watch L2 football and a team they have no interest in.
Robin
I work in a large company but actually found that employees from other parts of the country would go and watch Cheltenham on a pick and choose basis purely because it was the only local football without travelling up to Brum. If you asked them who they supported they would always say their childhood team but that they had a soft spot for us. However on the contrary I know a lot of people who used to be regulars here that now regularly go follow Villa, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal because they get a better footballing experience.

It's clearly going to be difficult for the club to bring the missing fans back but how about a pricing strategy for under 21s or a few lads nights with discounted beer on a Tuesday/Friday game?
Cinderford robin
It' is a shame, but I believe you either support the club or you dont (this isn't I'm a bigger fan) I will miss one game this season and that will be in March meaning I have missed only 1 competitive home game in 8 years.im married three kids but love Cheltenham and appreciate what we have got,the old saying goes use it or lose it.
leohoenig
It is a good question. It appears we have lost around 300-400 supporters yesterday
The first question is why - was it because of racing, because it was a Premium game (which added over £1000 to our income, due to the captive away fans paying extra), because of the lack of racecourse parking making the day more difficult or a perception that things were not going well?
We need to try to be inventive in bringing more into the ground. Friday night games in the past have tended to bring in the same support as a Saturday afternoon game, but what about Saturday night game - could we have played 19.00 last night? After last race, and just after the game on TV had finished, but still meaning that it was possible to return to Northampton by public transport if anyway cared to?
Is it possible to have a combined Cheltenham sports day, with co-operation between us and the racecourse? There is little in this as gain for the racecourse, but it could create some good publicity.
I do feel that it is the races that is the primary factor, not the premium price. A lot of people do not realise it is the Premium game until arrival, (I did not, but then as a season ticket holder, it does not affect me). Few, if any would have turned away after arriving.

We need to be more inventive in holding people in - we need to offer more incentives. We need to persuade more people that it is worth arriving early and staying late. If we were to achieve a good cup run again, and get another Everton-style home game, we should not merely sell tickets to people who have stubs from previous games, we should sell a three match package, the big cup game and two league games, for an all in price. Regulars who are going to the league games are not penalised. Glory hunters get to come again to a standard game, and may just enjoy it. I would add to the package day membership of the bar, and a half price beer at a match other than the big one

For non-Saturday games, we should advertise the game more widely to players in the local amateur leagues. We should lose tha attitude that we do not change due to Champions League on TV, but admit it can affect the bottom line. Will a Wednesday night sell better than Tuesday when ITV are showing Champions League on Tuesday? At the moment, we not only do not think outside the box, but we sit rather too centrally within the box, blinkered to a single direction more effectively than anything at the racecourse.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
That's the thing Cinderford. If you don't support the club then it's a lot of money for not great football.

A sad circumstance is also that of all the regular posters on here, how many go to games each week. I can't for several reasons and I know others can't too. We are all fans and when we don't go there just aren't the floaters/casuals to take our place.

The JPT game showed people will come for the right games and the right price but those games are few and far between it seems.

A cup run is needed to spark interest.
leohoenig
Cinderford robin wrote:It' is a shame, but I believe you either support the club or you dont (this isn't I'm a bigger fan) I will miss one game this season and that will be in March meaning I have missed only 1 competitive home game in 8 years.im married three kids but love Cheltenham and appreciate what we have got,the old saying goes use it or lose it.
This is what I meant by blinkered thinking. A lot of those who run football think like this, but more and more of our customers choose between the Football and a number of other possibilites on a Saturday. Football, Racing, Rugby, a day at a theme park, zoo, shopping, going down the pub to watch the Premier League - these are all in the mix, every week for more people than you would like to think about.
Another_FoD_Robin
Cinderford Robin, If I didn't play the amateur game I would seriously consider another season ticket but the bug is still there unfortunately. I go an average of 15 times a season home or away which yes I agree isn't a lot but at the same time it's more than some. I would love to go more but at the same time I enjoy playing. I do feel the club needs to reach out more especially in areas such as ours but that isn't up to me... that's up to the marketing department.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:It is a good question. It appears we have lost around 300-400 supporters yesterday
The first question is why - was it because of racing, because it was a Premium game (which added over £1000 to our income, due to the captive away fans paying extra), because of the lack of racecourse parking making the day more difficult or a perception that things were not going well?
We need to try to be inventive in bringing more into the ground. Friday night games in the past have tended to bring in the same support as a Saturday afternoon game, but what about Saturday night game - could we have played 19.00 last night? After last race, and just after the game on TV had finished, but still meaning that it was possible to return to Northampton by public transport if anyway cared to?
Is it possible to have a combined Cheltenham sports day, with co-operation between us and the racecourse? There is little in this as gain for the racecourse, but it could create some good publicity.
I do feel that it is the races that is the primary factor, not the premium price. A lot of people do not realise it is the Premium game until arrival, (I did not, but then as a season ticket holder, it does not affect me). Few, if any would have turned away after arriving.

We need to be more inventive in holding people in - we need to offer more incentives. We need to persuade more people that it is worth arriving early and staying late. If we were to achieve a good cup run again, and get another Everton-style home game, we should not merely sell tickets to people who have stubs from previous games, we should sell a three match package, the big cup game and two league games, for an all in price. Regulars who are going to the league games are not penalised. Glory hunters get to come again to a standard game, and may just enjoy it. I would add to the package day membership of the bar, and a half price beer at a match other than the big one

For non-Saturday games, we should advertise the game more widely to players in the local amateur leagues. We should lose tha attitude that we do not change due to Champions League on TV, but admit it can affect the bottom line. Will a Wednesday night sell better than Tuesday when ITV are showing Champions League on Tuesday? At the moment, we not only do not think outside the box, but we sit rather too centrally within the box, blinkered to a single direction more effectively than anything at the racecourse.
Very good ideas Leo. I like the sports day idea. A bus or two straight to ground from Prestbury Park after the racing. You could even run buses from Whaddon Rd to the races in the morning. Open the club bar. Serve lunch. Have a bookies so people can bet before going to the track. Have a ctfc stand at the course to meet and greet people. Or at least hand out flyers after the racing.

Equally people could watch the late kick off in the bar before the match.

One thing would make all of this a better proposition - a new stand.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
3G pitch alongside new stand and facilities would help too. If we had one or two evening Saturday games, the local league could play a couple of back to back games on the pitch during the morning and early afternoon. Could even give the use of the pitch for free and rely on teams using the new bar and food facilities and buying group-discounted match tickets. Teams would spend all day down there - a sports day situation like you suggest.

Just got to wait for the laws to change so FL teams can use 3G pitches.

Interesting read on that note: http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... grassroots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
One a positive note I want to thank the club again for making huge strides with the catering but ask why you can't buy a beer with your food in the In2Print?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:One a positive note I want to thank the club again for making huge strides with the catering but ask why you can't buy a beer with your food in the In2Print?
Good point. Is the bar still in the little room?
solihullkev
Sports Day idea is a sound one in theory, but in practice the club fishes in different waters to the racetrack and the idea is unlikely to be of interest to the latter. In reality how many people would this put on the gate ( but worth a try ) ?

More generally I admire the perseverance and tenacity of the Board, because I am coming to the view that the general apathy of the population of Glos means we will always struggle to get a break even gate absent "success" - and even with "success", the effect is very temporary in nature. Perversely, perhaps the area is too rich ?!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
You may remember Peegs who posted on here. He was at the races I believe so there are people who are CTFC fans and go racing too but yes as you say it may not be many.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:Sports Day idea is a sound one in theory, but in practice the club fishes in different waters to the racetrack and the idea is unlikely to be of interest to the latter. In reality how many people would this put on the gate ( but worth a try ) ?

More generally I admire the perseverance and tenacity of the Board, because I am coming to the view that the general apathy of the population of Glos means we will always struggle to get a break even gate absent "success" - and even with "success", the effect is very temporary in nature. Perversely, perhaps the area is too rich ?!

Maybe too rich and too many non-Cheltonians living there.
C.V
Just speaking for myself and its only my own personnel feeling.After following the club for many many years well over 1000+ games watched, l believe the club plateaued maybe three or four seasons ago.It seems to have gone pretty stale over the past few seasons we just don't seem to be progressing just treading water.The excitement just isn't there for me anymore.l never attended yesterday not through the racing but due to the fact we had been on a poor run and to be honest the game just didn't appeal to me.
Last season or maybe it was the season before there was all this talk about moving that was just a pipe dream,l can see the club still plodding along with the old main stand in place long after my time is up we are just not moving with the times.To attract new customers we have to offer something better its all to out dated the whole package we have to offer. We this season have a bar facility behind the Bristol Street Motors Stand surly the club could have done better than just plonk a table out in the open very amature it makes the club look
jbond
I went racing instead.Had we been scoring more goals at home and playing better i would have gone to the footy.I was surprised the match was not moved to the Friday/Sunday though.Like C.V says my interest is also on the slide.Apathy has set in with a lot of fans i am afraid.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:One a positive note I want to thank the club again for making huge strides with the catering but ask why you can't buy a beer with your food in the In2Print?
Good point. Is the bar still in the little room?
Yes it is however not sure it's good customer service you need to queue twice!

Also as an aside I didn't even know there was racing on yesterday had I not read it on here :?
arobinsfan
[quote="C.V"]Just speaking for myself and its only my own personnel feeling.After following the club for many many years well over 1000+ games watched, l believe the club plateaued maybe three or four seasons ago.It seems to have gone pretty stale over the past few seasons we just don't seem to be progressing just treading water.The excitement just isn't there for me anymore.l never attended yesterday not through the racing but due to the fact we had been on a poor run and to be honest the game just didn't appeal to me.
Last season or maybe it was the season before there was all this talk about moving that was just a pipe dream,l can see the club still plodding along with the old main stand in place long after my time is up we are just not moving with the times.To attract new customers we have to offer something better its all to out dated the whole package we have to offer. We this season have a bar facility behind the Bristol Street Motors Stand surly the club could have done better than just plonk a table out in the open very amature it makes the club look[/quote

That's how I feel C.V. after 40 years I could no longer motivate myself to go any more, for those self same reasons. Whose who go now seem to be content with League Two football, even when we had League One in our sights, there were fans on here saying "we're not ready for League One". If you enter a competition then the object is to win it, other wise your saying you should not try so hard and loose or wish and hope your side will loose to avoid promotion. I had a free ticket to go and watch Gloucester Rugby, now they know how to put on a show, a beer bar, a cider bar, TV screens, plenty of food outlets. Inside the ground was the giant screen with plenty of advertisements for Cheltenham companies not seen at Whaddon Road. (Mr Baker please note.) Rugby Union is not for me, can't understand the rules.
London Exile
The club needs to send out a message to the people of Cheltenham that we are a club they want to be associated with.
There are 2,000 or so fans going that will be at the games no matter what, there are probably another 1,000 or so that, due to other commitments, will get to games when they can.
Then there are many others like my mates who will rather sit and watch sky sports and the premier league. They feel League 2 is too expensive and not value for money when you can watch at home or go to a premier league game for little more than it costs at whaddon road.
The club needs to captivate these people into believing something positive is happening and the club is ambitious.
Burton Albion are a club with a similar fanbase to us, but under Gary Rowett they seem to be the benchmark and must beat team in this division.
Whatever it is they are doing, we need to do the same.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote:The club needs to send out a message to the people of Cheltenham that we are a club they want to be associated with.
There are 2,000 or so fans going that will be at the games no matter what, there are probably another 1,000 or so that, due to other commitments, will get to games when they can.
Then there are many others like my mates who will rather sit and watch sky sports and the premier league. They feel League 2 is too expensive and not value for money when you can watch at home or go to a premier league game for little more than it costs at whaddon road.
The club needs to captivate these people into believing something positive is happening and the club is ambitious.
Burton Albion are a club with a similar fanbase to us, but under Gary Rowett they seem to be the benchmark and must beat team in this division.
Whatever it is they are doing, we need to do the same.
I completely agree, however that will take a fair wad of money and good fortune. It all revolves around the stadium.

Estimated cost of their ground was £7.5m. Luckily for them, this happened:

"In 2003, he [the Chairmen] started work on the club's biggest project to date, moving it from Eton Park and creating the Pirelli Stadium.

"It was a defining moment," he said. "I was in the dressing room with Nigel Clough and our chief scout at the time, Steve Booth, that summer and they suggested I approached Pirelli to buy this land.

"My reaction was, why would they sell us this 14.2 acres of land, particularly as we only had six? But we went to see them and they were incredibly supportive [note: they donated the land in return for naming rights], as was the council, because we all had this vision of creating a new stadium that the whole town could benefit from.

"The timescale was limited because we had to purchase it by the end of the year. We were fortunate that the Eton Park land sold right at the height of the housing market, which has obviously since collapsed."

Two other interesting things from the article:

"We need to make sure we can maximise our commercial opportunities whenever we can. It's great that we have a source of income coming in, like the weddings and seminars, that is not affected by what's happening out there on the pitch – that's been the blessing." - this is where we cannot compete with our facilities as they are.

And, as well as the housing market luck: "Luck has also played its part in the Brewers' fortunes, with an FA Cup third-round draw at home to Manchester United in 2006 wiping out any debts on the stadium. The match saw Albion hold their guests to a goalless draw and force a replay. The Brewers went on to lose that 5-0 but the two games generated a staggering £1m for the club."

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Chairma ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In essence, we have to think how to improve WR. A new stand and tie-in to any development where the prefabs are is the bare-minimum. As Burton have shown, it might be that one day we need to move, but would we get the money for the current ground the same way they did?
51/84
what money we pay rent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!