Away fans at Whaddon Road

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

vickeryc
One thing that's struck me about attending matches at Whaddon Road is the generally good-natured away followings that come here. I know the Gas can be a pain in the backside and I think Plymouth once tried to arrange a skirmish, but I can't actually remember seeing any significant crowd trouble. There was a minor punch-up after the Boreham Wood cup game in the late 90s involving a handful of fans who'd drunk a bit too much, but that apart I can't remember anything since we've been in the league.
London Exile
Hayes players are among the worst but that goes back 15/16 years
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting observation. I suppose it's partly because they no CTFC have no proper firm so those who only go to football to fight don't bother.

Plus with no pub near by the ones who come by car or coach straight to the ground won't be too tanked up before kick-off.

Ultimately it shows that if you run a club with a good natured ethos like we do then it might spread to the awat fans too.
mattyboi
Doncaster on last day of season although that was mainly in town.

FA trophy quarter final 1997, very drunk away team players giving it large to the paddock.
vickeryc
Players - very drunk? Is this right? Which team?
Robin
Hayes was probably the worse trouble I have seen in Whaddon Road but it was our fans against their players!
vickeryc
Ok, we've had virtually no problems to speak of from away fans at WR. Have any away fans particularly impressed or been unexpectedly gracious? I recall a couple of years' ago that some expected problems from Gillingham; yet, I found them to be amongst the best natured to visit us. Maybe it was because they were promoted that day (I think) but they were very friendly before the game started and created a great atmosphere during the match.
mattyboi
In terms of atmosphere created by away fans, I think Leicester citys visit when both in league 1 would be hard to match. From what I remember they sold all 1800 and the noise was just non stop. It felt like an away fixture for us.
Robin
vickeryc wrote:Ok, we've had virtually no problems to speak of from away fans at WR. Have any away fans particularly impressed or been unexpectedly gracious? I recall a couple of years' ago that some expected problems from Gillingham; yet, I found them to be amongst the best natured to visit us. Maybe it was because they were promoted that day (I think) but they were very friendly before the game started and created a great atmosphere during the match.
York, Northampton always strike me as two friendly clubs, they tend to have non-traditional fan bases kind of like where we are now, i.e. older fans and families. Then you have the former non-league clubs like Burton, Accrington, Morecambe etc. but to be honest I would rather go to Milwall/Cardiff and experience the atmosphere there than 'enjoy' standing in silence at those places.

As for unfriendly H*r*ford is normally hostile towards any CTFC fan, Bristol Rovers when they come here but less so at theirs, Oxford to a lesser extent can be intimidating too.
vickeryc
mattyboi wrote:In terms of atmosphere created by away fans, I think Leicester citys visit when both in league 1 would be hard to match. From what I remember they sold all 1800 and the noise was just non stop. It felt like an away fixture for us.
Quite a few games at WR have felt like away fixtures! In particular, both Bristol clubs usually sell out their allocation for league matches and make a lot of noise. Surprisingly, I recall Wycombe in the 2005/6 play-offs making a hell of a din non-stop, which only abated at half time and after the final whistle! I was a bit underwhelmed by Newcastle and, to a lesser extent, Everton when they came here, though maybe that was because the home support actually raised the volume on those occasions. Generally, however, we seem to have got quieter and quieter over the years. The visit by our enthusiastic Norwegian friends last Saturday made a very pleasant change to the usual library atmosphere in the main stand - I hope they return again soon!
Joey
Accrington Stanley on the final day of the season springs to mind as a recent one. Was their fans against our stewards but was still rather amusing to watch.
Fuller
vickeryc wrote: Generally, however, we seem to have got quieter and quieter over the years. The visit by our enthusiastic Norwegian friends last Saturday made a very pleasant change to the usual library atmosphere in the main stand - I hope they return again soon!
I wondered where those funny songs were coming from on Saturday, well done the lads from Norway ! Never heard songs like that at Whaddon Rd before !
The main stand has been like a morgue for more years than I care to remember, I started supporting the Robins in 1968 as a 7 year old and that was where all the singers were back then, Ogee Ogee Ogee ..... In The Net ...., Give it to Adrian ..... great fun and great times for us young lads.
Si Robin
I agree, they were fantastic. One of the songs really should be taken up by the Wymans as well. It was so simple it was brilliant.

Spoke to one afterwards as well and they were having a ball of a time. Fair play to them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:Ok, we've had virtually no problems to speak of from away fans at WR. Have any away fans particularly impressed or been unexpectedly gracious? I recall a couple of years' ago that some expected problems from Gillingham; yet, I found them to be amongst the best natured to visit us. Maybe it was because they were promoted that day (I think) but they were very friendly before the game started and created a great atmosphere during the match.
I have always rated Gillingham as the worst fans I have encountered. Real swamp dwellers.

The year I went to Gillingham the section of fans to the right of the away end did a few renditions of "BNP! BNP! BNP!" which was odious.

Plus they killed a Fulham fan once. By stabbing him. You do not take a knife to a match if you are "best natured": http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/71655.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
Hmm...wasn't a knife brandished at a Cheltenham v Gloucester game at Whaddon Road a few years ago...?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Hmm...wasn't a knife brandished at a Cheltenham v Gloucester game at Whaddon Road a few years ago...?
CTFC vs Worcester I believe had a stabbing incident. Point taken!
vickeryc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
I have always rated Gillingham as the worst fans I have encountered. Real swamp dwellers.

The year I went to Gillingham the section of fans to the right of the away end did a few renditions of "BNP! BNP! BNP!" which was odious.

Plus they killed a Fulham fan once. By stabbing him. You do not take a knife to a match if you are "best natured": http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/71655.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was only speaking as I found. There were no BNP chants from the 'swamp dwellers' when they came to WR and I'm not aware of any knife-wielders in attendance either. I've visited Priestfield stadium several times over the years and have never encountered problems. That said, the incidents you've cited aren't good, but you need to get things in context. I was referring to the Robins v Gillingham game a couple of seasons' ago, not other Gills fixtures. If we are making comparisons, I can assure you that, the knifing incident apart, Gillingham's fans are angels compared with Millwall's and quite a few others I've seen since the early 70s.
asl
When we first went to Priestfield all those years ago (Cup replay?) there were no programmes for sale in the away end. A couple of young lads in burbury caps the other side of the fence offered to get me one. I gave them a fiver and they returned two minutes later with both my programme and the change which they posted back to me through the fence.
taxidave
Blimey, you trusted a pikey. :roll: :roll:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

I was only speaking as I found. There were no BNP chants from the 'swamp dwellers' when they came to WR and I'm not aware of any knife-wielders in attendance either. I've visited Priestfield stadium several times over the years and have never encountered problems. That said, the incidents you've cited aren't good, but you need to get things in context. I was referring to the Robins v Gillingham game a couple of seasons' ago, not other Gills fixtures. If we are making comparisons, I can assure you that, the knifing incident apart, Gillingham's fans are angels compared with Millwall's and quite a few others I've seen since the early 70s.
Indeed - let my hyperbole and Fulham connections get the better of me, and apologies for the using term 'swamp dwellers'. Like you and asl say, every team has a couple of bad apples and at most teams the majority are decent and nice.
longmover
Going back a few years but didn't newport try and 'take' the paddock? the ensuing fight spilled onto the pitch (while game was going on) with certain CTFC fans jumping from the main stand into the melee.

I remember having to give a statement to the police afterwards.
Malabus
longmover wrote:Going back a few years but didn't newport try and 'take' the paddock? the ensuing fight spilled onto the pitch (while game was going on) with certain CTFC fans jumping from the main stand into the melee.

Around Christmas/New Years. Stabbing in the Hereford Arms.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
longmover wrote:Going back a few years but didn't newport try and 'take' the paddock? the ensuing fight spilled onto the pitch (while game was going on) with certain CTFC fans jumping from the main stand into the melee.

Around Christmas/New Years. Stabbing in the Hereford Arms.
Mal I can assume you are referring to the Robin family home after too much turkey and brandy sauce.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Mal I can assume you are referring to the Robin family home after too much turkey and brandy sauce.
I'm not getting involved in this on-going urinating furthest up the wall contest.
Ralph
Malabus wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Mal I can assume you are referring to the Robin family home after too much turkey and brandy sauce.
I'm not getting involved in this on-going urinating furthest up the wall contest.
Is there ANY thread on this forum right now where i won't find any??
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
Malabus wrote:
Is there ANY thread on this forum right now where i won't find any??
To make a moderate guess I would say 80% of threads.
duckers
Based on the above, I dont know why it would be a problem if we gave the away fans the c&g / pre / whatever its called these days. The coaches can still wait on the road, or somewhere in the carpark.

In an ideal world i'd like to see the seats in the away end replaced with rail seats (surely that wouldnt cost too much) and the Cheltenham fans in there. Well the ones that are up for creating an atmosphere.

The group of about 6 Dagenham fans sounded pretty loud the other week.
vickeryc
duckers wrote:Based on the above, I dont know why it would be a problem if we gave the away fans the c&g / pre / whatever its called these days. The coaches can still wait on the road, or somewhere in the carpark.

In an ideal world i'd like to see the seats in the away end replaced with rail seats (surely that wouldnt cost too much) and the Cheltenham fans in there. Well the ones that are up for creating an atmosphere.

The group of about 6 Dagenham fans sounded pretty loud the other week.
I agree. The WR end is widely praised by away fans for providing a good view of the action with no pillars, steep seating, etc. Many clubs - rightly or wrongly - give away supporters the worst part of their ground. The PR end isn't that bad (or good). I can't see why our own supporters couldn't be allocated some of the best accommodation instead of the claustrophobic PR end, which apparently traps all the fans' chants!
London Exile
The whaddon road end woud be immense as a terrace IMO.
Given that the PRE is shallow but has wide steps, you could probably fix seats to the steps and have a 1,000 seat stand in there
Robin
If we were to have a terrace why not something like Exeter have to replace the BSM?
London Exile
In all reality I don't think football league clubs are allowed to convert new seated stands back to terracing.
I get that the PRE has a problem with the stream behind thus making a cantilever stand expensive, however, if we could create a steeper terrace and go back a little bit more to provide a 2,000-2,200 capacity terrace (I think currently it's capacity is 1,980) and either leave it open to the elements or cover it and have the roof supported like it is now.
To be honest the pillars don't bother me it's just the fact it's so shallow is why I rarely go in there now
CS85
Anyone remember the group of 12-15 Kettering fans making monkey noises towards JV back in 2001/2002 season? Also kicked of after the game a few Ctfc fans handing out slaps.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:If we were to have a terrace why not something like Exeter have to replace the BSM?
That would be great to see. Especially with integrated bar and toilets if possible.
vickeryc
London Exile wrote:In all reality I don't think football league clubs are allowed to convert new seated stands back to terracing.
I get that the PRE has a problem with the stream behind thus making a cantilever stand expensive, however, if we could create a steeper terrace and go back a little bit more to provide a 2,000-2,200 capacity terrace (I think currently it's capacity is 1,980) and either leave it open to the elements or cover it and have the roof supported like it is now.
To be honest the pillars don't bother me it's just the fact it's so shallow is why I rarely go in there now
I don't know what would be the the real gain of converting the PRE from a 1,980 to a 2,000-2,200 capacity terrace other than making it steeper and better for viewing. If the WRE were given over to home fans, perhaps converted to rail seats, then the PRE might as well stay as it is and be given to away supporters. The priority is surely to replace the main stand, which is past its sell-by date, and even that looks unlikely at present. In the unlikely event that the PRE were ever programmed for redevelopment, I reckon a modest part-stand, part-terrace cantilever construction would be the best option (assuming we're not in the championship!)
London Exile
Fair point vickeryc.
It would be great if the club could maybe switch away fans to the Wymans Stand (the half nearest to the Whaddon Rd End) and allow home fans both ends.