Paul Baker's weekly round-up

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Video interview discussing relief after a win, this season's crowds, the Robins Trust and the current board all here: http://bit.ly/WeeklyPaulBaker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C.V
Sorry Paul your a great bloke but you do seem to be in your own little bubble if you cant see where its all going wrong.We have just had a run of eight games without a win the premium price has blown up in your face.You can mug people for only so long.Our season ticket sales were down so now your appealing to more floaters and they aren't fools if its not value for money they wont be turning up especially if your hicking the prices with this premium farce..
Nesty
The premium price games, I assume are set for games with high away following, so as well as ripping them off the home fans suffer as well. I also accept that we wouldn't be allowed to price the two stands differently - so, wouldn't you think that it would make more sense to keep these games at normal price and just be thankful of the extra away fans?
Malabus
Haven't view the video. But I presume 'premium prices' were mentioned. Premium prices are just a another (one of many) viruses in the modern game. I really don't believe they benefit anyone.
Robin
PB was very honest, he said they could drop the prices by £2 but it wouldn't make a tangible impact, they believe they'd need to drop them by £5 to do that but then crowds would not increase enough to cover the difference.
51/84
didnt realise it was a premium game but I have a season ticket
Another 100 jobs gone in the echo today, there is the problem inflation may have slowed but it is still rising further than wages
Shade
We were only discussing this on here last week and everyone then seemed to agree the club do the best that they can. If they'd reduce prices by however much a certain number of extra supporters would need to turn up, which won't happen. Even if the prices had just been normal prices then an extra 400 ctfc fans would have needed to turn up to make what they did on saturday. I refuse to believe 400 people didn't go because of the ticket price alone.
C.V
Shade wrote:We were only discussing this on here last week and everyone then seemed to agree the club do the best that they can. If they'd reduce prices by however much a certain number of extra supporters would need to turn up, which won't happen. Even if the prices had just been normal prices then an extra 400 ctfc fans would have needed to turn up to make what they did on saturday. I refuse to believe 400 people didn't go because of the ticket price alone.

We were on a run of eight games without a win it's not hard to work out.People have long memories look at last seasons shambles
Shade
I know we were, and that's why 400-odd shortsighted people didn't go, not because it cost 2 quid extra. If we'd won 8 in a row we would have had around 3000 probably. That's football. Get over it, move on with your lives and support the team and hope they get a win tomorrow night and Saturday.
51/84
How many of the 2000 were season ticket holders or freebies - 1200 at a guess so the club made £800 from home support or 40 extra fans might have turned up if it hadnt clashed with the racing. I can name 3 plus jbond and someone else who went racing instead of footy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I was surprised to hear we only make £10 or £11 per ticket on average. Not a great margin at all.

Also, the rationale of having a few premium games to use away fan revenue to keep prices down for home fans in other games makes sense to me.

The appeal for board members was unusual. Saying you didn't need money, just time to help out.

Some harsh advice for the trust too.
robinsrule
How's this for an idea to get people through the turnstiles: EVERY game there is a prize draw at half time and one ticket holder in the ground wins a grand?

At 20 quid a ticket we'd need 50 extra fans per game to make it feasible. Sure, your chances of winning are low but not that low.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
robinsrule wrote:How's this for an idea to get people through the turnstiles: EVERY game there is a prize draw at half time and one ticket holder in the ground wins a grand?

At 20 quid a ticket we'd need 50 extra fans per game to make it feasible. Sure, your chances of winning are low but not that low.
I like it. Even £500 quid would be a nice sum.
trickster
Being a racing man I was extremely surprised Cheltenham Racing wasn’t on Channel 4, it was a first class card I can only think the building work going on may have played a part health and safety etc, all races from Ascot were shown and C4 handle two race meetings most Saturdays it wouldn’t have been a problem, so any racing enthusiasts would not have been able to record the racing and go to the match, if they’d wanted to see the racing they would have needed to have been there, I’m sure there would have been a few extra just for that reason that decided to go to the racing and miss the football.

I can understand PB being disappointed and dismayed because 400 decided not to attend Saturday, but what baffles me is what seems to be his acceptance to the fact we’ve lost 300/400 or whatever the true figure is season ticket holders, after last season’s performances and issues we all knew gates would be down I predicted it back last May, but as we all know it was carry on regardless this season, PB is putting on a brave face but we could pay heavily for poor attendances and therefore loss of revenue.
51/84
tickster the problem is that some posters seem to think that it will be alright regardless
They blame the manager for this and that and he is to blame for some if not most of the debacle on the pitch.
Who is to blame for the off the field state of the club
Is it the paying customer
Tescos have not tried to blame the customer but between papering over the cracks, being economic with the truth and just ignoring whats going on elsewhere look at the mess they are in
PB along with others were the clubs saviours but perhaps times have changed
I do believe that PB can still be the chairman of a successful club but something needs to be done to point us in the right direction
He makes a valid point about the crowds not picking up and staying up, but to say the club is sustainable
Does he expect people to watch his video and then walk up to him with a cheque in his hand
The board need to get out there any search out the way forward and the people who can do it
Sir Edward Gillespie and others need to be asked to help the club identify a way forward
horlickfanclub
Some Northampton fans gave the game a miss due to the prices and some chose to stand quietly behind our goal to save a few quid.
Square pegs in round holes has put a few I know off.
CheltRobin
To lose 300/400 fans in 1 match is worrying - it did seem very sparse under the clock where I stand. I doubt it was the racing, the premium prices maybe put off some, but what about the rest? We were playing a local(ish) team, where the fixture always has plenty of goals, we had also just come off a decent showing on Sky.

Yes, we had been on a small winless run, but our performances at home had generally been Ok, just lacking goals. I think PB has every right to ask the stayaway fans why they went missing on Saturday. He needs to know the real answers, not just the guesswork on here. Our fans seem more bloody-minded than others in staying away, when actually, there is not a lot wrong with either the club or the team at the mo.

Some decent backing for a change this season would be deserved.

RCS - Also noticed the non-financial appeal for directors - might take PB up on his suggestion!
ghandi
Last season abject home form changed the view of hundreds of season ticket holders & floating supporters.They decided the've had enough,found something else to spend there time & money on a saturday afternoon.Right or wrong some of them probably said they would'nt come to whaddon road with yatesy still in the managers seat.Paul Baker could have changed that situation in close season,which may have increased season ticket sales & prompted floating supporters to come and see a new era under a new manager.Paul Baker made the decision to keep Yatesy,he must have known it was going to effect attendences.The people who have found other things to do on a saturday may never set foot in whaddon rd again unless things radically change.
mattyboi
ghandi wrote:Last season abject home form changed the view of hundreds of season ticket holders & floating supporters.They decided the've had enough,found something else to spend there time & money on a saturday afternoon.Right or wrong some of them probably said they would'nt come to whaddon road with yatesy still in the managers seat.Paul Baker could have changed that situation in close season,which may have increased season ticket sales & prompted floating supporters to come and see a new era under a new manager.Paul Baker made the decision to keep Yatesy,he must have known it was going to effect attendences.The people who have found other things to do on a saturday may never set foot in whaddon rd again unless things radically change.
What you say is true but who's to say with a new manager we would be any better off? A new manager might have created interest over the summer, but if we're currently sat bottom of the league, but had a new manager do you seriously think attendances would be higher?
51/84
Inspite of warnings on here of the likely hood of fewer ST sales PB or the board ( are they one and the same) made the decision that it was sabre rattling.
Only when PM and MY phoned around at the end of the early bird did he realise that people were talking with their feet. I cannot recall if the phone around was at the end of the early bird initial period or if it was after it was extended

There was also very late on several other changes to policy when the platinum ticket reappeared yet when PB was asked by Alan Brown in the spring it was not being considered
The original Platinum ticket was introduced at the end of Maddogs reign when it was an easy way of getting money in. It was a risk I was not willing to take but for someone who did the club survived and they got 5 seasons for £1000 - very good value if you had the £1k to risk. The conclusion was that instead of getting 20 ST at £300 the club got 20 x £1300 in the summer ( assuming everyone renewed). It was and still is a risk ( club may get relegated but equally may get promoted, no price rises but you may die)

PB and the board have disregarded the nest and often you can see why but sometimes it talks sense
Similarly they have ignored fans - sure they had the fans panel but what has happened to that.

Engagement is no better than it was last season fact!
PB did have a pop at the trust - more members mean they pay PB more money
It was revealing to see the trust pad for the bar facilities . So not the club but did either flag it up
The scoreboard PB asked the 500 club to pay for that -.

Dont worry the club is sustainable
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
51/84 wrote:Inspite of warnings on here of the likely hood of fewer ST sales PB or the board ( are they one and the same) made the decision that it was sabre rattling.
Only when PM and MY phoned around at the end of the early bird did he realise that people were talking with their feet. I cannot recall if the phone around was at the end of the early bird initial period or if it was after it was extended

There was also very late on several other changes to policy when the platinum ticket reappeared yet when PB was asked by Alan Brown in the spring it was not being considered
The original Platinum ticket was introduced at the end of Maddogs reign when it was an easy way of getting money in. It was a risk I was not willing to take but for someone who did the club survived and they got 5 seasons for £1000 - very good value if you had the £1k to risk. The conclusion was that instead of getting 20 ST at £300 the club got 20 x £1300 in the summer ( assuming everyone renewed). It was and still is a risk ( club may get relegated but equally may get promoted, no price rises but you may die)

PB and the board have disregarded the nest and often you can see why but sometimes it talks sense
Similarly they have ignored fans - sure they had the fans panel but what has happened to that.

Engagement is no better than it was last season fact!
PB did have a pop at the trust - more members mean they pay PB more money
It was revealing to see the trust pad for the bar facilities . So not the club but did either flag it up
The scoreboard PB asked the 500 club to pay for that -.

Dont worry the club is sustainable
Also depends what is Sustainable...a local authority budget after having £100m of funding taking off them may be sustainable if they stop bin collections and other services. Equally, CTFC could be sustainable for decades, just with a rubbish old scoreboard, and maybe even because they do not spend money on a fancy one which could be viewed as a luxury.
Robin
What is happening with the scoreboard, are we still waiting for it to be delivered?
leohoenig
Today's result shows again that we are not a bad side, even if we are not good enough to dominate and destroy opposition. It also shows that luck can go both ways. Had we had a bit of luck at the right time, we might have got a point at Burton and beaten Dagenham and/or Wimbledon. Had we not had a bit of luck, we might have lost to Northampton (if Mo's shot had gone in, they would have been 2-1 up - could we have come back), and tonight (if Cambridge had levelled instead of hitting the cross bar, they might then have gone on to win).

As a team, I think we are where we should be on the performances so far. Top half with a chance of the play offs.

P.S. Deaman was immense in the second half tonight, but I am glad that Cambridge decided not the continue the game that looked successful in the first half and chose to hoof the ball to his head every time. Also I do not think Lee Vaughan has played a better game in a Cheltenham shirt.
Shade
leohoenig wrote:
P.S. I am glad that Cambridge decided not the continue the game that looked successful in the first half and chose to hoof the ball to his head every time.
According to the radio commentators, this was down to our tactically inept manager's half time decision to have Hanks man-mark Donaldson.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:What is happening with the scoreboard, are we still waiting for it to be delivered?
Someone's keen!

The rest is edited as I feel you're acting like a bit of a prat at the moment RCS and there was no need for such a comment - Admin
51/84
Was it Mr Yates or Mr North who over saw the second half display
leohoenig
Could not see from behind the goal, but I only ever saw North come away from the box, and the report sad both Yates and Money were sent to the stands. The instruction to Hanks would have been in the dressing room, so Yates would have been involved there
Robin
The radio commentators were critical of Brown, Taylor and Deaman Leo, always interesting to get a different perspective though.
Si Robin
They were critical of Taylor in the 1st Half, but praised him highly in the 2nd.
joes dad
51/84 wrote:Was it Mr Yates or Mr North who over saw the second half display
As we won it must have been Mr North,had we lost..............
C.V
joes dad wrote:

But on evidence we didnt lose............So well done Mr North
joes dad
C.V wrote:
joes dad wrote:

But on evidence we didnt lose............So well done Mr North
Oh... the irony