Torquay average wage £375 a week

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this article suggests bleak times ahead:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32018669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If we were to go down we'd have quite a number of contracted players on much more than that.
Artemis
Robin wrote:Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this article suggests bleak times ahead:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32018669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If we were to go down we'd have quite a number of contracted players on much more than that.
If we don't go down, we'll still have a number of contracted players on much more than that.
If we do, I expect we won't have as many as we do now.
London Exile
I'd imagine we'd look to work with a squad of no more than 18 including our young lads signed on for next season. We'd certainly be utilising the loan market.

I assume that we'd be making huge cutbacks with the Youth set up and seasons but something I'd not thought about regarding seasons is how long our lease or contract is with the management company?
Seasons is a great facility its just a shame we don't own it or have a significant lease on it like we do the ground. In fairness the club must have put some money in to it because its pretty self sufficient now. Maybe if it is self sufficient we might not need to cut back so much in that area if we are relegated?
Robin
I would strongly hope we would not immediately scrap the youth system and that there would be contingency to keep it going 1-2 years should the worst happen.
London Exile
Hopefully so robin. The £500k deficit figure I get from media news related to Torquay but on the other hand Rovers are making a very good fight at returning at the first attempt.

A big part of me feels like we are already down and the club will very quickly revert to how we were prior to '99.
I then look at the L2 table and think that back to back wins could put us on the cusp of safety.
Robin
I know non-league football would be horrible but I do feel there has been more doom than necessary, I've even read people saying we would go part time, I would seriously hope not, if so I would lose all faith in the board.
London Exile
I don't think we'd go part time, if we were to attract gates of 1800 then that's not much less than we currently get so I'd hope to stay full time. Remaining FT would give us the best opportunity of making the top 5
Ralph
Rovers have way bigger crowds than us. 5500? Don't know for sure not looked but they have a lot more money coming in than us, that's why they are up there
London Exile
Average attendance of 6,233 for rovers so far, that's some going.
Ralph
That as an average will get any team up the league esp as some home tickets cost 22 quid
Robin
top of the league and buzzing, Shrewsbury also had increased attendences when they dropped down.
London Exile
As weird and daft as it might seem, I'd take relegation if we were guaranteed to return at the first attempt. I think a spell in the Conference would certainly make us realise what we currently have. The trips to the less glamourous L2 destinations won't be as bad as the less glamourous Conference outposts.
Winning the majority of games (to ensure promotion) would also breathe life and confidence back into all areas of the club.

Having said that it was only 2/3 seasons ago we had a chance of winning L2! What has happened since, did we take our eye off the ball and become complacent?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote:As weird and daft as it might seem, I'd take relegation if we were guaranteed to return at the first attempt. I think a spell in the Conference would certainly make us realise what we currently have. The trips to the less glamourous L2 destinations won't be as bad as the less glamourous Conference outposts.
Winning the majority of games (to ensure promotion) would also breathe life and confidence back into all areas of the club.

Having said that it was only 2/3 seasons ago we had a chance of winning L2! What has happened since, did we take our eye off the ball and become complacent?
No complacency or eyes off the ball - just our best players (who just happened to come together at the same time) moved on to other teams and, like most other teams in most other years, the next batch of players we signed didn't gel and click the same way.

Yeovil the most extreme example - they got one group of loans and one-year contracts who took them up to the championship and came close to keeping them up. Nearly the whole team left and the group of players they have this season weren't L1 standard.

When you work on one or two year deals and loans every season it's partly luck as to how your side will fluctuate from one year to the next.
vickeryc
Exactly and, in fairness to Mark Yates, he made a very good job of bringing in quality players on a fairly modest budget.
Robin
Not true though Vickery, Yates was given a very good budget, we could outbid clubs like Bristol Rovers for players, that tells you something.
Shade
That tells you nothing, Jon Snow, as Rovers were relegated. It's a moot point. And where do you get your fact that we could outbid Rovers from anyway?
Robin
Troy Brown and Jamie Cureton was reported at the time.
Shade
Reported. And couldn't afford, or didn't want to offer more than they thought they were worth?
Robin
To be fair not in that level of detail but I did read a Bristol Rovers fan saying they couldn't or wouldn't compete with us for wages.
asl
Shade wrote:That tells you nothing, Jon Snow, as Rovers were relegated. It's a moot point. And where do you get your fact that we could outbid Rovers from anyway?
Has a post been deleted or did you randomly name-check the King of the North's B@stard....?
joes dad
Shade wrote:Reported. And couldn't afford, or didn't want to offer more than they thought they were worth?
Or prefered ctfc for footballing reasons?
joes dad
Robin wrote:To be fair not in that level of detail but I did read a Bristol Rovers fan saying they couldn't or wouldn't compete with us for wages.
Must be right then :oops:
Robin
asl wrote:
Shade wrote:That tells you nothing, Jon Snow, as Rovers were relegated. It's a moot point. And where do you get your fact that we could outbid Rovers from anyway?
Has a post been deleted or did you randomly name-check the King of the North's B@stard....?
R + L = J ;) ;) ;) ;)
Ralph
joes dad wrote:
Robin wrote:To be fair not in that level of detail but I did read a Bristol Rovers fan saying they couldn't or wouldn't compete with us for wages.
they knew they were junk and moved on with other players. Us however got sucked in
Shade
asl wrote:
Yeah, anytime I hear/see/type the word nothing, it just springs out. And I always hear it in a northern, female accent in my head, too :D
vickeryc
Robin wrote:Not true though Vickery, Yates was given a very good budget, we could outbid clubs like Bristol Rovers for players, that tells you something.
Others have cast sufficient doubt on your statement, Robin, so I won't rub salt in the wound. Suffice to mention the likes of Butland, Garbett, Elliot... I think Yates generally did alright on the recruitment front when reasonable funds were available.
Robin
Yates did very well in his recruitment generally I agree, but it does not change my original statement Vickery which I strongly believe to be correct.
joes dad
Ralph wrote:
joes dad wrote:
they knew they were junk and moved on with other players. Us however got sucked in
If they new they were "junk" why would they want to sign them?
Ah..Hindsight..
asl
Shade wrote:Yeah, anytime I hear/see/type the word nothing, it just springs out. And I always hear it in a northern, female accent in my head, too :D
Ah...hadn't realised it had become a meme in it's own right... :D

Shade
Oh yes, the internets is full of it.

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Now I definitely know you aren't talking about the Ch4 News presenter. Who knew there was more than one Jon Snow!
vickeryc
Robin wrote:Yates did very well in his recruitment generally I agree, but it does not change my original statement Vickery which I strongly believe to be correct.
Good, we agree that MY recruited well - it's generally acknowledged that it was his main strength after all. The area where we remain unsure is whether his recruitment budget was relatively modest. In Cheltenham terms it was probably quite generous (at least for a while). However, in League Two terms, I doubt it was better than par for the course. I don't have the evidence to prove it, but maybe you have Robin.