Do we want Bristol Rovers out of the way?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

The Old TomCat
Malabus wrote:So... confirmed as the biggest club in the noddy league next season.
Correction: National League.
Please get used to using it's proper title - venting your frustration in such a childish manner will only bring disrepute upon yourself but also more importantly on Cheltenham Town.
Whether we like it or not, it is the league will be competing in next season, so take pride in both club and league and hopefully it will be conveyed to the playing staff in winning ways.
I'm sure in a year's time when Cheltenham are declared The Nation League Champions, you will not call it by any other name.
Malabus
The Old TomCat wrote:
Malabus wrote:So... confirmed as the biggest club in the noddy league next season.
Correction: National League.
Please get used to using it's proper title - venting your frustration in such a childish manner will only bring disrepute upon yourself but also more importantly on Cheltenham Town.
Whether we like it or not, it is the league will be competing in next season, so take pride in both club and league and hopefully it will be conveyed to the playing staff in winning ways.
I'm sure in a year's time when Cheltenham are declared The Nation League Champions, you will not call it by any other name.
Called it The Gold And Precious Diamond league....but we're still going to Bromley.

Noddy in my eyes.
51/84
It may be a national league but it means not good enough to be a football league club
So I will go with the conference end off
Malabus
National League is incredibly misleading. Are Chelsea or Wolves in it; teams being part of the English nation.
Last edited by Malabus on 21 May 2015, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
Robin wrote:Thanks, apart from Kiddy I cannot see a single side bringing more than 500 away fans here next season but I take consolidation that our crowd and budget should be one of the bigger ones and hopefully with GJ in charge we can bounce straight back as you did. I also quite fancy Grimsby to win the league so our best option is most likely the play offs which are a lottery, it's going to be a rough ride but so long as we bounce straight back I am confident we will be stronger for it.
Not even FGR? I know they get small gates but surely a lot of them will come given how near it is? Anyone know how many they took to Brizzle?
Malabus
Shade wrote:Not even FGR? I know they get small gates but surely a lot of them will come given how near it is? Anyone know how many they took to Brizzle?
Or a clearer indication; how many they took to their game V Gloucester, albeit a lot of Cheltenham went in the away end.
Shade
Yeah but who wants to see them v Gloucester? Hardly gets the juices flowing for them, does it? However, facing a mighty former and soon-to-be-again league club right on their doorstep is a much tastier proposition...
Shade
Found it on the Bristol Post website, FGR took 665 to BR. Surely they'll scrape 500 for a league game here.

Also, Rovers sold over 30,000 tickets for Wembley... didn't see the game and didn't realise they took so many.
The Old TomCat
Shade wrote:
Robin wrote:Thanks, apart from Kiddy I cannot see a single side bringing more than 500 away fans here next season but I take consolidation that our crowd and budget should be one of the bigger ones and hopefully with GJ in charge we can bounce straight back as you did. I also quite fancy Grimsby to win the league so our best option is most likely the play offs which are a lottery, it's going to be a rough ride but so long as we bounce straight back I am confident we will be stronger for it.
Not even FGR? I know they get small gates but surely a lot of them will come given how near it is? Anyone know how many they took to Brizzle?

Last season Cheltenham and FGR played on alternate weekends. Living midway between both clubs it gave me chance to go to either club's home games. I sincerely hope that next season's fixtures manage to continue doing that, after all both clubs are in Gloucestershire and one must ask "could the police cope with two home games?"!! :twisted: :evil:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Conference for me. Might wear a Noddy outfit to the new lawn though.
Robin
Yes including FGR I think they would struggle to bring 500 here even if it's only 14 miles. I even wonder how many clubs will bring more than 200, Grimsby, Tranmere, FGR, Kiddy, Torquay, Wrexham and that is probably it!
asl
I wonder how many times we'll take more than 200 away...?
Ralph
Less than two times
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I wonder how many times we'll take more than 200 away...?
Here we go again with the 'little old Cheltenham' mindset!
longmover
A 'big & loud' away following (could be) can be a massive advantage in this league.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Here we go again with the 'little old Cheltenham' mindset!
Not really: I just object to people bragging about p1ssing up the wall when we all know Cheltenham have a poor away following and a poor home atmosphere, etc. Delusional.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Here we go again with the 'little old Cheltenham' mindset!
Not really: I just object to people bragging about p1ssing up the wall when we all know Cheltenham have a poor away following and a poor home atmosphere, etc. Delusional.
I know. Was just partaking in my favourite past-time of mocking and parodying Robin for the reasons you explain.
Robin
Our home and away support will not be poor in this league, how many of you remember the last time we got promoted out of this league? We regularly took very big followings and I would be amazed if it's not the case this season if we do get promoted. I don't see it as bragging but people need to accept we will be one of the biggest clubs in this league now.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Our home and away support will not be poor in this league, how many of you remember the last time we got promoted out of this league? We regularly took very big followings and I would be amazed if it's not the case this season if we do get promoted. I don't see it as bragging but people need to accept we will be one of the biggest clubs in this league now.
Rose Tinter.
Robin
Yes, I am a rose tinter but some of you need to realise how vital it is that we bounce back immediately.
robinton
Robin wrote:Our home and away support will not be poor in this league, how many of you remember the last time we got promoted out of this league? We regularly took very big followings and I would be amazed if it's not the case this season if we do get promoted. I don't see it as bragging but people need to accept we will be one of the biggest clubs in this league now.
Just ask the Annies
Robin
Exactly, hundreds in the home end and 1700 official away fans with many more locked out if I recall! We also took 1000+ to Kiddy & H*r*ford and 800+ to FGR mid-week. I think some people are in for a culture shock for how tinpot some of the clubs down there are.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Yes, I am a rose tinter but some of you need to realise how vital it is that we bounce back immediately.
No one is denying it is vital, I for one completely realise that and agree with you. That has nothing to do with crowd sizes. For instance, the two below sentences are not related and not mutually exclusive:

1. It is vital we we bounce back immediately.

2. We might struggle to take more than 200 fans to more than a couple of away games.

Got it?
Artemis
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:Yes, I am a rose tinter but some of you need to realise how vital it is that we bounce back immediately.
No one is denying it is vital, I for one completely realise that and agree with you. That has nothing to do with crowd sizes. For instance, the two below sentences are not related and not mutually exclusive:

1. It is vital we we bounce back immediately.

2. We might struggle to take more than 200 fans to more than a couple of away games.

Got it?
Agreed that it is vital to win promotion at the first attempt and that the number of Cheltenham fans when we're away from home is not directly related to our ability to win promotion (although a vocal away following - and generally the greater the number, the higher the volume - will help spur the players on). The number of fans at home matches is very much directly related to the budget we have, the quality of players we can attract permanently or on loan, and therefore our bounce-back-ability (someone had to use it!)
51/84
Artemis - I though loans were banned for 2015/16
Malabus
We got them in a pre-season friendly.