Trust News

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robins Trust
Dear Robins Trust member,

I would like to provide an update on my work as your Fan Elected Director, with a special look at the recent meeting of the Fans’ Focus Group.

A large group of fans from all ages and cross sections of the club’s supporter base spent an evening discussing and debating a number of issues – with plenty of terrific ideas and suggestions raised.

The aim of the evening was to discuss four specific topics, gain feedback from the fans and to then agree a way to implement the ideas.

The fans were split into four, with each group discussing one of the following items.

Fans’ perception of the Club and Fan Engagement
CTFC and the community it serves
Matchday experience
CTFC and its commercial activities

The groups then presented their ideas back to the room, with further discussion taking place among all of the fans leading to the following recommendations:

Fans’ perception of the Club and Fan Engagement

The Club needs to commit to delivering events.
The Club needs to foster a sense of identity and ownership among the supporters.
The Club needs to have stronger identity and a presence in the town centre and a much higher profile within the town.

Cheltenham Town and the community it serves.

The Club needs greater involvement with secondary schools and the University of Gloucestershire to keep young fans engaged after they leave the Junior Robins aged 11.
The Club needs to have a presence at big events in the town and wider community.
The Club needs to make a greater use of Seasons and the facilities there.

The matchday experience

The Club should look into the possibility of having two home ends (including the Hazlewoods Stand to create a better atmosphere in the ground.
The Club needs to look at improving the overall experience for fans. Through improving food and drinks offering and having music and entertainment in and around the ground to create a carnival atmosphere.
The Club must do all it can to improve interaction between the players and the fans.

Cheltenham Town and its commercial activities

The Club should look into having affordable kit sponsorship
The Club should look into improving the range and quality of merchandise
The Club should try to reward their sponsors more, perhaps through posters highlighting a business’ association with the club.

As part of my remit as a director elected by you, the Robins Trust members, I have raised these points at a meeting of the Football Club board.

Every single suggestion will be discussed by the board and given due consideration and where possible action will be taken.

It may be that it is not possible for the Club to act upon every recommendation, but it will not be for a lack of want from the board’s point of view.

It was vital, however, that the Trust published the recommendations and I hope to be able to report back on the results of the board discussions in full at the next fan focus group.

I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank everyone who gave their precious time to attend the focus group, or to provide suggestions from further afield.

In the meantime if any Trust member has any issues they would like to raise, please feel free to contact me using the contact form on the trust website