Number eight in

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

DingDing
paperboy wrote:
Robin wrote:What strikes me about almost all our signings is they are coming here with praise from fans at previous clubs Downes, Storer, Wright, Waters, Barthram all the same.
Yes absolutely correct Robin-the boo boys must be a bit worried as there doesn't seem to be an obvious target for them just yet!
Maybe Zak if he doesn't kick on this season is one candidate.
I'm trying to think back, but did we have any scapegoats in the promotion season from the conference?

I'd like to think we wont have any given we're looking to be at the top end of the table.
Robin
I'd lay the blame there more on Yates and Buckle than the board - not saying they didn't make a lot of mistakes the last two years but important we move forward now and concentrate on promotion back to the league.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
DingDing wrote:
paperboy wrote:
Robin wrote:What strikes me about almost all our signings is they are coming here with praise from fans at previous clubs Downes, Storer, Wright, Waters, Barthram all the same.
Yes absolutely correct Robin-the boo boys must be a bit worried as there doesn't seem to be an obvious target for them just yet!
I'm trying to think back, but did we have any scapegoats in the promotion season from the conference?

I'd like to think we wont have any given we're looking to be at the top end of the table.
Success matters not to boo-boys. Three examples spring to mind:

1. In our most recent promotion we were 3-0 up against Rushden at HT. As we conserved our energy in the second half and cruised to a 3-1 win the Twins in the In2P left after about 60 mins hurling abuse as they did because they weren't happy, even though it almost guaranteed our play-off spot

2. Even though Guinan scored the winning goal in the play-off final and played up-front in a successful team, people around me would come to games waiting for him to misplace a pass, and would abuse him when he did.

3. Another of the old-boys in the In2P hated Devaney, even when he helped fire us to promotion. He never clapped or stood if he set-up a goal or scored, and often use to shout abuse at 'Devaney' before realising it was another player who had made an every-day mistake which you expect to see at L2 level, and correct himself.

Always a shame, and makes games less enjoyable - but boo-boys will be boo-boys.
Gavin
DingDing wrote:
paperboy wrote:

I seem to remember Mark Yates coming in for criticism that season when we signed him in the January from Kidderminster. He took a few games to get up to speed and we had a bit of a blip in the lead up to the Rushden game. We had drawn quite a few games in the March and struggled to break teams down. A few fans felt he was too static. IMO he became one of our greatest ever midfielders in the 3 years that followed.

It's funny but I remember Neil Grayson getting some stick from fans when he first joined the previous winter from Hereford. He wasn't part of the Trophy run and people felt he was a bit of a camel.

It is tough when groups scapegoat players for their own ends. I have been guilty of it in the past with the likes of Hugh McAuley. It's hard not to have players you like and dislike and the blinkers can come down. Last season there were 5-6 of our shamed squad that I openly despised. To have to pay money to watch that filth was difficult to take.

I will back GJ not to bring in players who are basically dicks. That would be a big improvement on last year.
I-Love-CTFC
I understand full back Joe Edwards is one of the trialist players. He was Johnson's captain at Yeovil last season and he was born in Gloucester.
Robin
Is he a left back? I am always sceptical when it comes to trialists as they rarely turn out be a success (Summerfield being the biggest exception I can recall).
horlickfanclub
Boo the oppo not your own.
Robin
I remember Yates debut at Southport and he looked quite a bit over weight, took him a few months under SC to shed that weight.
London Exile
Edwards was a central midfielder I thought and likely to attract league clubs. Possibly a favour from GJ helping him to keep fit but would certainly be a good acquisition if he signed
Robin
Yes Edwards was one of Yeovil star players, looks like a real coup if we get him though:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Edwards_(footballer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Joe ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
little mo
Ben Gordon a left back released from his contract by Colchester today. It says so that he can get regular first team football. 20 appearances for them in Lge1 last season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Our lodger is a Yeovil fan so I just asked about Edwards and where he'd likely end up. "Definitely a Championship side" was the response - City are keen by all accounts.
Robin
Strange that he's one of the trialists we have here then unless it's just a fitness thing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Strange that he's one of the trialists we have here then unless it's just a fitness thing.
What's your source for this, other than I-love-ctfc saying "I understand full back Joe Edwards is one of the trialist players".

The only news since the end of the season was this in the WDP:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Joe-Edward ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Relegated to League Two, the Glovers were in no position to offer Edwards a new deal and the Gloucester-born utility player is seeking a new challenge higher up the Football League.

City boss Steve Cotterill could offer the former City player the chance to return to Ashton Gate - two-and-a-half years after he was released and made available on a free transfer."

Think about it Robin - would a captain of a L1 side who wanted to leave to move higher and is courted by a Championship side really have to have a trial at a non-league team with a manager who knows his game inside out?

It's an offence to the lad to suggest he is on trial with us!
Malabus
http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Ex-Yeov ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
I'm sure his position will be clarified by the manager soon.
Nesty
paperboy wrote:

the s#!t has started and we havent kicked a ball yet
Robin
I feel the club are trying to keep the Edwards situation under wraps not to attract interest from other clubs.