Ice Bucket Nonsense

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

TheRaven
Apologies if this has already been posted, been away for a while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34006471

GJ is a no-nonsense my-way-or-the-highway kind of guy, it's fair to say. Just have to hope the squad are onboard with his methods or the early unity that is evident could quickly disappear if he judges it wrong.
CS85
Hate to say it but it reminds me of a thing Martin Allen might say/do :shock:
Nesty
TheRaven wrote:Apologies if this has already been posted, been away for a while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34006471

GJ is a no-nonsense my-way-or-the-highway kind of guy, it's fair to say. Just have to hope the squad are onboard with his methods or the early unity that is evident could quickly disappear if he judges it wrong.
Indeed
Robin
I thought it was again great publicity, give me GJ over Yates or Buckle any day of the week.
horlickfanclub
Surely dropping any slow starters is better management.
Nesty

I hope it doesnt end in tears
Robin
It's clear the squad are 100% behind him and so are 99.9% of the fans, absolutely no need for such comments.
Oldun
Agree Robin. I cannot understand why there has to be so much cynicism around GJ's decision making. On another thread re Hanks someone suggests that he is "childish". If only some of the three previous jokers had displayed one tenth as much common sense! (which is what GJ's man management is all about)
CTFC_Forever
What a crock of sh*t.

That's all I have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hubert Parry
Yes, if you don't mind, I am going to back the 'childish' judgment of a man who has won several promotions at several different clubs with a win rate of 40% across 800 games, including guiding Yeovil to the Championship (perhaps one of the greatest achievements in modern times), remained unbeaten so far this season and signed a group of players who all cite him as their primary reason for joining, over those who a troll.
Si Robin
Seems like a jokey comment to me, Daniel Parslow's comments in response make it even more of a jokey comment.

Why do people insist on reading too much in to throwaway comments?
Reliant Robin
I don't for one minute think he means it literally. It's just GJ's way of saying he needs the players to come out of the blocks a bit sharper, especially after long coach trips. I took it as being a bit of fun with the publicity opportunity it brought and it was a great analogy with the 'ice bucket challenges' of recent times. He's an excellent man-manager and we can see all the players are on-board with him. Unbeaten in the four opening games, but Gary is demanding more from his squad, so how he gets that message across is his prerogative.
TheRaven
I agree in part - hence my comment about early season unity. However, ideas like this are somewhat dated and with modern day players could go wrong (toast-gate, anyone?). Really don't see how it's great publicity if I'm honest. Other than those with an existing interest in CTFC, who the hell will hear about it or care? I am optimistic about GJ's work with the club so far; I just don't want to see the kind of MA-esque maverick nonsense creeping in at our club ever again.
Robin
It was on the BBC website for one Raven.
TheRaven
And who is going to care?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Reliant Robin
TheRaven wrote:And who is going to care?

People such as John Finnigan will care, for all the right reasons.

Any publicity is good publicity (Robin has already pointed out it reached the BBC website) as it draws people to look at our media and that makes John Finnigan's role a lot easier promoting the Club to prospective local businesses who will relish the prospect of being linked with Cheltenham Town FC when it is making newsworthy stories. I applaud GJ's comments for that very reason.
TheRaven
Again, I respectfully disagree that this is good publicity. Other than people who already slog through conference level news stories, who will a) see it and b) think that it reflects positively on the club? It basically says we start each game sloppily. Not a great advert for the club. I just don't buy any publicity is good publicity I'm afraid.

Again I will reiterate that I am optimistic about the start under Gj, I just don't much care for this idea.

Shade
Jesus, everyone must be bored as hell waiting for tomorrow's game. Usually it's dead on here on a Friday, whereas today a few moaners have come out of the woodwork and all hell has broken loose.
TheRaven
Do you really see my posts as moaning? I genuinely only shared it for others who may not have seen it and then expressed a mild opinion about the old school management style.

One more time: I am still optimistic about Gj at the club, but I don't much care for this kind of nonsense.

Does everybody understand now?!

I-Love-CTFC
This whole thread is nonsense. People always find something to moan about.
TheRaven
Lesson learned, I shall never have the cheek to share a story and mild opinion again... Currently I am sitting myself on the naughty step and having a long hard think about what I have done.

</sarcasm>

Shade
I wasn't necessarily talking about you, TheRaven. I guess moaning isn't really the right word, but there's always something being picked at.
TheRaven
I would just call it discussion, but anyway! I'm sure we can all agree that a faster start tomorrow would be well received, no matter the methods employed... For my money, it's a 3-0 game in our favour. Waters to come into his own.

I-Love-CTFC
I wouldn't be surprised if Waters starts on the bench after his performance on Tuesday. I'd like to see Hall start.
horlickfanclub
Seconded.
TheRaven
Waters to start...
TheRaven
But he, along with the other ten, are not exactly setting the world alight yet.