Departing players

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Amongst the euphoria I completely forgot that yesteday is probably the last time we will see some players wearing our shirt with Flatt, Burgess and Dickie all going back to their clubs. They feel like our own, and Flatt's only played 10 games. I'm pretty sure we're all hoping Dillon Phillips will be back next season, and I hope there's a chance Reading will send Dickie back to us for the step up to League 2, but I don't think Flatt or Burgess are likely to return ?
bcrobin
Shade wrote:Amongst the euphoria I completely forgot that yesteday is probably the last time we will see some players wearing our shirt with Flatt, Burgess and Dickie all going back to their clubs. They feel like our own, and Flatt's only played 10 games. I'm pretty sure we're all hoping Dillon Phillips will be back next season, and I hope there's a chance Reading will send Dickie back to us for the step up to League 2, but I don't think Flatt or Burgess are likely to return ?
Yes very sad to see them go, hopefully Dills and Rob will be back next season, both are Cheltenham through and through despite there short tenure at the club,
Robin
I would guess we could move for Flatt if for any reason Dillon doesn't come back, he's but as good as Dills but he has fitted in well and could hold his own up there.
Robin
Which other players are leaving Hank's, Jordan Wynter, Omari Sterling-James and James Bowen. I assume by GJ comments Bobby Dale and Adam Page both also get new deals.

So far our squad is:
Rhys Lovett
Callum Kitcha
Jack Barthram
Aaron Downes
Daniel Parslow
Jordan Cranston
George Mclennon
James Dayton
Jack Munns
Billy Waters
Kyle Storer
Harry Pell
Asa Hall
Danny Wright
Amari Morgan-Smith
Dan Holman
Bobby Dale
Adam Page
Jordan Lymm

So squad of 19, with no short term loans and seven subs we will need at least four new faces to add to that most notably in defence and attack.
Horteng
Apparently with charlton getting relegated Dillon will move up to no 2 from no 3 in the pecking order as their current no 1 will leave

I'd like to see Flatty back if Dillon doesn't make it
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I don't think Burgess will be making the Fulham match day squad yet. I suspect a L1 or L2 loan for him for 6 months at least.
theidlerich
Very sad to possibly see the last of these; hope they boarded the plane to Magaluf though [......and no I'm not going to tell them about the "local" pretty beach about 6Km south of there either]. Would dearly like to see them back. If not, then GJ and bro have a real task to get better replacements.
Ralph
Robin wrote:I would guess we could move for Flatt if for any reason Dillon doesn't come back, he's but as good as Dills but he has fitted in well and could hold his own up there.
I'd have Flatt back if Dills can't make it. I think he stepped in perfectly considering the pressure of the title race was full on at that time
paperboy
Yes GJ did fantastically well bringing those two in.
As he said 12months ago regarding recruitment, he would sign a clutch of experienced players supplemented by younger (cheaper) players plus loanees.
Whereas Yatesy used a good chunk of his budget on experienced keepers like Scott Brown and Trevor Carson,Gary saved a huge amount bringing in Dill's and Flatty.
rasta
Loans next season have to go window to window I was told? is that correct
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
rasta wrote:Loans next season have to go window to window I was told? is that correct
Correct - the 'emergency loan' loophole is being closed.
Horteng
Would love to see Burgess and Dickie back along with Dillon or Flatty

Only Dillon I believe will be anywhere near their respective first teams next season
theidlerich
At risk of much flack; I'm not sure about retaining both of Munns and Walters. Not criticising their commitment, skill, enthusiasm etc; but merely they would be "pushed aside" more easily with the fitter, heavier built LgII players.
Rulistening
theidlerich wrote:At risk of much flack; I'm not sure about retaining both of Munns and Walters. Not criticising their commitment, skill, enthusiasm etc; but merely they would be "pushed aside" more easily with the fitter, heavier built LgII players.
We would be mad to let anyone go really. Only people im not sold on is cranston and AMS, he has good attacking moments but i feel at times his defensive abilities are lacking. We won't even talk about that megs on saturday ;) (Cranston) and as for AMS. i just get a damien spencer vibe from him. he just seems to do a whole lot of nothing most games, aye back from injury recently but personally im disappointed from him, I expected him to be scoring for fun this season all throughout the year
andgarod
theidlerich wrote:At risk of much flack; I'm not sure about retaining both of Munns and Walters. Not criticising their commitment, skill, enthusiasm etc; but merely they would be "pushed aside" more easily with the fitter, heavier built LgII players.
Dont worry Walters will not sign anyway we have Waters :lol:

Difficult to score all season if your out for 6 months
Rulistening
andgarod wrote:
Dont worry Walters will not sign anyway we have Waters :lol:

Difficult to score all season if your out for 6 months
Oh thought i mentioned i'd let him off for that one, my bad :P , Idk im still not sold on him, just my opinion on it, i cant fault the goals he did score but i just expected a lot more from him when he was playing
Horteng
Must admit I'm not sure on billy but I guess we've got to bear in mind his early season form rather than his late season form (where he hardly played I'd like to add)

AMS I'm not sure on either....
London Exile
The FL won't be as physical as the national league so players like Waters will do even better I believe.
Whe we won promotion in '99 Russell Milton wasn't really a starting XI player but went on to excel for us in the League. I would hope players like Rowe and Waters who have had their fair share of bench time will still stay on with us next season.
theidlerich
*:"> blushing ............what's an 'l' between friends.
Tend to agree about AMS though; not sure he's that smart. Cranston I would hope will improve with time, so would retain him; although he got nutmegged rather too easily Saturday!
horlickfanclub
Point on Dillon. Charlton have three keepers all ahead of Dillon.
Horteng
horlickfanclub wrote:Point on Dillon. Charlton have three keepers all ahead of Dillon.
Not when their No 1 leaves
drgm
We don't have to make a permanent move for Dillon Philips - just get him back on loan. As for Munns
and Waters, I would deffo keep. If you let players go you have to be sure that you can replace them with better
players for the same kind of money. Also the chemistry has to work and there's great togetherness in the team.
I'd sign as many of the squad as possible in order to maintain the team spirit.
Robin
We would better off getting Dills permanently rather than on loan, although I appreciate we would need to pay a fee then.
Shade
Waters is still young, and can still come good. He's scored 11 this season iirc, and there's a lot more to come from him and Munnsy, and all of our young players, I'm sure.
paperboy
Shade wrote:Waters is still young, and can still come good. He's scored 11 this season iirc, and there's a lot more to come from him and Munnsy, and all of our young players, I'm sure.
Just their lack of physicality that worries me.

Also the same applies to Bartram and Cranston (possibly our most baffling signing of the season).

Div 2 two teams target small full backs with far post crosses for the likes of Billy Painter etc.
Shade
Well hopefully we can go 3 at the back again next season and not need Barthram in that position. I'm not worried by their lack of physicality as their positions don't generally demand it as much as defensive players. They just need to work hard to show their ability is worth more than their body size. If Messi can make it anyone can.
asl
Cranston did alright on Saturday, both attacking and defending (whipped a few cracking crosses across the six yard box.) I'm not totally convinced by him, however, and feel the same about AMS, who has been a shadow of the player he was before his injury. Will Barthram be good enough to be a first-choice L2 RB?

I think we definitely need a full-back and at least one CB (the likelihood of Dickie or Burgess being here next season are slim - though I'd bite your hand off for the former.) And at least one winger.

And Phillips.
Shade
Goalkeeper, two CB's, defensive centre mid in case Stoz gets injured/suspended, left winger (maybe that can play up front as well). Whether all loans or permanent, I don't know.

I think with a good pre-season in him AMS will be fine. Ironically, I thought his best performance since returning from injury was on the left wing against Grimsby. Kept finding space and linking up well.
asl
Agreed about AMS' performance v Grimsby. Reminded me of Damien Spencer's success out of position at Elland Road.