Play Off ods

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Looks like the money is following the names.

Grimsby 4/6 to beat Braintree this week, and for the overall Play-Off win Grimsby are 13/8 to get promoted and Braintree 11/2. FGR are 2/1 and Dover 3/1.

Worth a flutter on Braintree? None of the top six beat them, and they recently won 1-0 at Grimsby in the league so at 11/2 there may be good value.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/eng ... e-playoffs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
little mo
Braintree will be no pushovers. They conceded less goals at home than us ( 12 ), so any sort of decent result they get at Grimsby and the Mariners will find it very difficult.
Johnsons Red Army
Personally, I think the bookies have it correct and Grimsby will win the play off, beating Forest Green in the final.
paperboy
Think the bookies probably have it right.

Going off topic slightly I see that the second leg of the FGR tie kicks off at 7.30pm on Saturday at The New Lawn (did Ady tend the pitch as promised, before he got the bullet I wonder?)
Robin
I would love to see either Dover or Braintree name the league just for the sheer tinpot grounds and look on visiting fans when they go there!
Hubert Parry
In order of preference:

Grimsby - they might not like us at all but they are a good club with long suffering fans. Always had a bit of a soft spot for them after we mugged them off in the L2 PO Final 2006.

FGR - obviously didn't wish them well during the season, but now that we have beaten them, my dislike for them has waned. It could be nice to have a derby next season.

Braintree - they were thuggish in both home and away legs so I don't have much affection for them. A plucky side nevertheless.

Dover - no time for their manager after his comments about Baker last season. Hope they crash and burn.
Joey
Would like to see FGR win it but suspect Grimsby will.
Si Robin
Hubert Parry wrote:In order of preference:

Grimsby - they might not like us at all but they are a good club with long suffering fans. Always had a bit of a soft spot for them after we mugged them off in the L2 PO Final 2006.

FGR - obviously didn't wish them well during the season, but now that we have beaten them, my dislike for them has waned. It could be nice to have a derby next season.

Braintree - they were thuggish in both home and away legs so I don't have much affection for them. A plucky side nevertheless.

Dover - no time for their manager after his comments about Baker last season. Hope they crash and burn.
What comments? I genuinely can't remember.
Robin
I like FGR but it would feel strange them in the league and they clearly cannot cope with our away support either so god knows what happens if they played Pompey! Agree about the Grimsby fans but I think if they go up they will challenge up the top too which is something we don't want if we are to secure another promotion.
asl
Agreed with Robin: both Grimsby and FGR will have the financial clout to challenge at the top end of League 2. On that basis alone, I'd like either Dover or Braintree to come up.
Ralph
Braintree or Dover for me.. anyone but FGR
Chill
Ralph wrote:Braintree or Dover for me.. anyone but FGR
Totally agree :D
paperboy
Grimsby for me as the league is where they should perhaps be,but if FGr manage it I wouldn't mind too much as it would be another Derby game. Plus the forum has been much more fun with them in the same league.
Joey
Si Robin wrote:
Hubert Parry wrote:In order of preference:

What comments? I genuinely can't remember.
Slagged Baker off for making the FA cup match about the money and so on IIRC.
Shade
Dover or Braintree - should be less competition for us next season 8-)
Malabus
Grimsby won't win the play offs. Not under Hurst.

My money is on FGR.
Shade
Anybody know why the games are kicking off at 7pm tomorrow and Thursday? They're hardly Grade A games, or whatever they call them, so it can't be because of the Champions League, surely?
swellingsdownbelow
Shade is asking why the 7pm ko time for the play-off ties? Is it to save a European clash........hardly, it's cuz Masterchef is on BBC 1 at 9pm......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Anybody know why the games are kicking off at 7pm tomorrow and Thursday? They're hardly Grade A games, or whatever they call them, so it can't be because of the Champions League, surely?
I imagine BT moved them for Champions League and Europa, both of which are on BT of course.

So now mainstream fans can watch the first half of the Vanarama before switching to Man City and Liverpool semi-finals and fans of the play-off sides can watch the whole game before switching to Man City and Liverpool second halves.

I assume they decided this was the best way to maximise viewing figures and thus advertising revenue on both channels.
Shade
Good point, I'd forgotten they are all on BT.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hurst clinging to his job by a thread.

Thirty five mins to save his job imo.
Johnsons Red Army
Wow, 1-0 Braintree. Did not expect that.
little mo
Johnsons Red Army wrote:Wow, 1-0 Braintree. Did not expect that.
Don't know why people underestimate Braintree. They have been a very efficient team all season. Only conceding 12 goals at home. If Grimsby lose this home leg then they are probably facing another season in non league. The Fishy will be lively, that's for sure.
Johnsons Red Army
I'd say I was guilty of overestimating Grimsby.
Robin
Massive credit to Braintree the guy in charge there is doing one hell of a job and deserves huge credit.
The Old TomCat
I think FGR are now new favourites
Malabus
The Old TomCat wrote:I think FGR are now new favourites
I think so. Get Kelly and Jennings back quickly. Full armoury, good chance.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:I think FGR are now new favourites
Yup. DV's bold decision to ditch Pennock helped ensure that. If he was still there I think FGR would be the least favourite and probably not be leading the tie.
Malabus
Mark Cooper to FGR then.