Never played Charlton

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
So we've never played Charlton. Not many left now to tick off ?
So who are the EFL and Premiership teams we've never played in a competitive first team game ?
Off the top of my head ... Chelsea Man Utd and Man City Liverpool Middlesbrough Derby Arsenal .....plus ?
One for the stattos.
Robin
Chelsea. Blackburn I would suggest.
Si Robin
Happy to be corrected on any, but I make it

Prem:
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
Man City
Man Utd
Middlesbrough

Champ:
Aston Villa
Blackburn
Derby
Ipswich
Preston
Sheffield Weds

League 1:
Bolton
Charlton
Coventry
Fuller
I believe we played Ipswich in a Southern League match in 1938.

Always fancied seeing us play at Coventry - only an hour away and a nice stadium, been there a few times.
PaulGodfrey
We've played Arsenal, Chelsea, Sheffield Wednesday and Coventry City in friendlies. We also played Manchester City in a testimonial for Steve Brooks.
We played Ipswich Town four times in the Southern League and Aston Villa in the Worcestershire Senior Cup and Leamington Hospital Cup!
I have no record of us ever playing Charlton Athletic in anything, though.
Si Robin
Was the City game 1994 Paul? I know we've discussed this before, but it was my first game and I only have a vague memory of it.
PaulGodfrey
2nd August 1994. Manchester City won 3-2.
Fuller
PaulGodfrey wrote:2nd August 1994. Manchester City won 3-2.
As (the quite brilliant) Steve Brooks left us in the summer of 1992 he had a long wait for his testimonial ! Richly deserved may I add, a fantastic player and loyal club man too. Should have played at a higher level.
So who was in the Man City team that day ? I was there but have little recollection of the game, unlike the Everton game in 1990 which I recall well.

Going further back who was at the Roger Thorndale testimonial in the mid 1970's ? I'll never forget the second half could not start because there were about 200 kids having a kick about on the hallowed turf - oh what fun :) Took an age to clear the pitch. I think the match was v Derby who were a top club back then although that might have been the year after. I remember big Roger Davies missing an open goal right in front of me !
And didn't Bobby Charlton also appear in a testimonial ? Ron Atkinson certainly played in one match, I was speaking to him about 20 years ago about The Robins and he said he remembered Roger Thorndale.
Flux
We played Derby County in a friendly back in 1966 and again in 1974
PaulGodfrey
The Manchester City team was: Martyn Margetson, Dave Kerr, Chris Beech, Fitzroy Simpson, John Foster (Ian Smith 66), Joe Harkin, Steve Finney, Alfons Groenendijk, Adie Mike (Mick Brown 75), Carl Griffiths (Scott Thomas 46), Jim Whitley (John Sharpe 46). Other sub: Dave Nurse. Scorers: Griffiths 1, 33, M.Brown 90

The Roger Thorndale testimonial was against Hereford United in April 1974, although Colin Boulton (Derby County) and Ron Atkinson played in it. Your recollection can be explained, though, because we played Derby County in a pre-season friendly only a couple of months later.

Nobby Stiles and Bobby Charlton played in a testimonial for Dave Lewis and Pat Casey in May 1977. The team they played for was a Ted Croker XI (Ted being the FA chief executive at the time but he lived in Cheltenham and was later CTFC club president and the grandfather of Eric Dier).