McLennan update

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Here: http://bit.ly/MillwallChance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Crikey that would be a good move for the lad but I still think he's a rough diamond and not ready for regularly league one football yet.
horlickfanclub
Great if you are proved wrong Robin. Good luck George. Our best left back since Luke Garbutt.
asl
horlickfanclub wrote:Good luck George. Our best left back since Luke Garbutt.
Hmm... Have we had anyone else other than CBB since Lukey...?
Shade
asl wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Good luck George. Our best left back since Luke Garbutt.
Hmm... Have we had anyone else other than CBB since Lukey...?
Billy Jones, 2012-13. Paul Black got, what, a game and a half in 14-15. My hero Matt Richards played there a few times as well.

Oh, James Bowen got thrown in as well. Made his debut in a 4-0 defeat at Stevenage, I think?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cranston.
Robin
Jeez looking at that list we've had some poor left backs over the last few years.
Shade
Compared to Victory, Wright, Bell (who could barely even get a game) and Ridley (eventually), we have. Craig Armstrong was far from my favourite left back* but I'd take old Spuggy any day over what we had between mid-2012 and mid-2015.

*Much preferred him in midfield
Robin
Even McCann was a great left back for us when JV was injured, strange how we were so strong in that position then had the likes of CBB, Richards there, Billy Jones was not great defensively but he could deliver an amazing set piece at least.
vikerlane
Robin wrote:Billy Jones was not great defensively but he could deliver an amazing set piece at least.
How do players get assigned position anyway?

Could have moved it to midfield, personally less defensive duties, still keep passing ability in team.

Wasn't Billy winger or midfielder and GJ now sees him as out and out striker?

Good manager should realise that so called round peg is actually a square peg for matching hole. Unless of course, the rest of the players for that position were even worse.
Shade
I'd assume it's all down to where the player wants to play, but if he's not good enough there then the manager will try and convert him into a position he thinks he will be better in. Generally speaking, if you're not quite good enough anywhere else on the pitch but you're still a decent player, you'll end up as a full-back! I can't think that anybody starts out thinking "ooh, I dream of being a right/left back".

Andy Haworth was seemingly trying to be made into a right back here, by he that shall not be named I think. But then he went to Barrow and was apparently pretty decent last season on the wing, so I guess it depends how much the player respects the manager's decision and how determined he is to make it in his chosen position. In that case, the manager was a joke and he rightfully didn't settle for playing right back.