Deal close for:

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:Like the Newcastle fans have any idea or even care who FGR are
Who said Newcastle fans had anything to do with it. It was a chant in support of CTFC, the Pride of Glos, not aimed at NUFC fans. Just CTFC fans having a good time supporting their club.
Ralph
still a totally pointless chant
horlickfanclub
Agree Ralph.
Chris FGR
The Citizen has now been banned from our press box for the Southport game next Monday.

Humorous quote from one of our media/PR officers on our forum- "They seem to be good at making things up, so shouldn't have a problem with the match report."
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:The Citizen has now been banned from our press box for the Southport game next Monday.

Humorous quote from one of our media/PR officers on our forum- "They seem to be good at making things up, so shouldn't have a problem with the match report."
What a shambles - sounds like Mike Ashley's Newcastle!!

Are The Echo banned as well, or have they not done enough to make Vince and Cooper throw a tantrum yet?

This is just idle transfer gossip. We have had the press print unsubstantiated accusations that past managers have assaulted bouncers, etc, without banning them!
Chris FGR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Are The Echo banned as well, or have they not done enough to make Vince and Cooper throw a tantrum yet?
The official statement says Echo/Citizen, so assume all from that stable are banned.
Ralph
it's all to protect Cooper from searching questions..
Ralph
where was the guy from that interviewed Cooper after that home game and Cooper let rip at him for the journos comments the week before?
Chris FGR
Rob Iles from the Citizen. He blanked him completely last Saturday.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:Rob Iles from the Citizen. He blanked him completely last Saturday.
Reckon Cooper will last the season? Seems to be bottling faster than Pennock. At least AP got into the new year before going off the rails in interviews.
Chris FGR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Reckon Cooper will last the season? Seems to be bottling faster than Pennock. At least AP got into the new year before going off the rails in interviews.
If he gets results, yes.

Given he signed a 5 year deal you'd like to think he'll be given time to build something. He is a good manager, much better then Hockaday or Pennock and was a great player for us. Bit worried by some of the stuff that's gone on with the press already though. Seems the pressure's on already.
The Old TomCat
Chris FGR wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Reckon Cooper will last the season? Seems to be bottling faster than Pennock. At least AP got into the new year before going off the rails in interviews.
If he gets results, yes.

Given he signed a 5 year deal you'd like to think he'll be given time to build something. He is a good manager, much better then Hockaday or Pennock and was a great player for us. Bit worried by some of the stuff that's gone on with the press already though. Seems the pressure's on already.
I accept with most of what Chris has written. But Coops has still to prove himself as a winner - very good manager, yes, but not a winner so far.
Also Ady Pennock remains the most successful manager in FGR's history unless FGR win Championship this season. Therefore AP is the best manager FGR have ever had. [Okay his team play was not the most exciting]

I can't comment on whether Coops has lost plot with the local press. He seems to fall out with the press whether he goes - when at Swindon he banned them all. However he does have the overwhelming support of the FGR supporters and should he continue sending out winning teams, he can do no wrong.
Ralph
i would say Harvey was the most successful mgr. He won stuff with FGR
Si Robin
What did he win?

I'd agree Harvey's their most successful, he got them to near the playoffs with a miniscule budget. With Vince's money he could well have got them up. I distinctly remember that I wanted him to replace Allen.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:What did he win?

I'd agree Harvey's their most successful, he got them to near the playoffs with a miniscule budget. With Vince's money he could well have got them up. I distinctly remember that I wanted him to replace Allen.
Indeed, to me, a manager who does less with more - like Harvey - is better than a manager who underachieves with a huge budget - like Pennock.

Harvey would have walked the league with the finances and squad available last season. It was due to Pennock that they did not go hope, and for that he must be remembered as an unsuccessful manager.
Chris FGR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Si Robin wrote:What did he win?

Indeed, to me, a manager who does less with more - like Harvey - is better than a manager who underachieves with a huge budget - like Pennock.

Harvey would have walked the league with the finances and squad available last season. It was due to Pennock that they did not go hope, and for that he must be remembered as an unsuccessful manager.
Absolutely spot on. Harvey was a much better manager and looking at relative budgets achieved more. Frank Gregan was also another who was way ahead of Pennock, he actually won titles. Pennock won nothing with a much better budget relative to the opposition then any FGR manager, apart from Hockaday, has ever had.

Not in a million years is Pennock our best ever manager.
Si Robin
I completely forgot Frank Gregan, surely he must count as most successful being as he took FGR from nowhere into the top level of non-league and kept them there.
Chris FGR
Apparently we've now reported you to the FA for making an illegal approach.

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... ott_Frear/

Not sure it's really necessary tbh, all seems like a storm in a tea cup really, but there you go.
Shade
Strange this has only come up since PB made a comment in that same interview, basically saying that there's no love lost between CTFC and FGR after last season and FGR's statement on Frear, but we wouldn't rise to it.

I don't believe for a minute that it's true that GJ or anyone else would have made an illegal approach for Frear, otherwise PB wouldn't have even mentioned it. I think this is just yet more sour grapes and CTFC hatred from Vince who has obviously got a chip on his shoulder about something, going back to before the game at The New Lawn last year and the refusal to allow us more tickets/the questionnaire on the gates.

I fully expect a "Come at me, bro" style statement from the club if and when the FA have been in contact.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I can imagine FA headquarters today:

Minion: "Boss, I know you are busy with the Allardyce papers and saving the reputation of the FA and English football, but a complaint has been submitted by Forest Green."

Head of FA: "F*ck Forest Green."
Chris FGR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I can imagine FA headquarters today:

Minion: "Boss, I know you are busy with the Allardyce papers and saving the reputation of the FA and English football, but a complaint has been submitted by Forest Green."

We haven't had too much luck with the FA in recent times. Lost an appeal against a three point deduction for fielding an inelligible player (Luke Oliver) two seasons ago, lost an appeal over what was deemed the unfair dismissal of Andy Mangan (for undisclosed reasons) who was on a lucrative 3 year deal, and also lost an appeal over a red card issued to Lee Hughes after he was 'wrongly' dismissed for what the club claimed was a "jovial" kick of the Wrexham goalkeepers backside.

Safe to say the FA wont be pleased to here from us again, especially as Vince threatened them with going to the european court of arbitration over the points deduction.
kags
What a waste of time for everyone concerned. He should be reported for doing a Wimbledon with the ground move :roll:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I can imagine FA headquarters today:

We haven't had too much luck with the FA in recent times. Lost an appeal against a three point deduction for fielding an inelligible player (Luke Oliver) two seasons ago, lost an appeal over what was deemed the unfair dismissal of Andy Mangan (for undisclosed reasons) who was on a lucrative 3 year deal, and also lost an appeal over a red card issued to Lee Hughes after he was 'wrongly' dismissed for what the club claimed was a "jovial" kick of the Wrexham goalkeepers backside.

Safe to say the FA wont be pleased to here from us again, especially as Vince threatened them with going to the european court of arbitration over the points deduction.
True, but the FA have had an agenda against CTFC for ages.
Shade
Then it's official. The FA hates Gloucestershire. They probably flooded Meadow Park, too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Then it's official. The FA hates Gloucestershire. They probably flooded Meadow Park, too.
FA taking a leaf out of the England Cricket Selectors' book.
everyman
Shade wrote:Then it's official. The FA hates Gloucestershire. They probably flooded Meadow Park, too.
The F.A. might consider a selectors committee instead of a manger/coach in future ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
The F.A. might consider a selectors committee instead of a manger/coach in future ?
No, embedded institutional bias against Gloucestershire.
Shade
Trouble is they think we're all a bunch of hay-chewing rugby freaks.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Trouble is they think we're all a bunch of hay-chewing rugby freaks.
Indeed. This event did more to p!ss off the establishment than the Brexit vote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuZmW5EsOjQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Closely followed by this, no doubt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly27Rh6Mq6s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joes dad
Shade wrote:Trouble is they think we're all a bunch of hay-chewing rugby freaks.
Indeed. This event did more to p!ss off the establishment than the Brexit vote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuZmW5EsOjQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And a fair few it did'nt p!## off :oops:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Closely followed by this, no doubt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly27Rh6Mq6s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joyous scenes.