Deal close for:

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
http://bit.ly/FGRWinger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
everyman
Surprised we didn`t do this deal before he re-signed for F.G.R.He would be settled in by now,he looked unsettled towards the end of last season.
Artemis
Blimey, that would be a coup....
mozzo
Hope this deal happens. Superb signing for us. With Dayts down the right and Frear on the left the two Dans will soon be firing again.
Artemis
Although being the cautious person I am, I'll believe it when I see him in the colours....

Edit: he's only started the first game for them this season, and wasn't in the 16 for the game at Kingfield on Tuesday, so perhaps he doesn't feature in Cooper's plans any longer. So a move makes sense.
Last edited by Artemis on 19 Aug 2016, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
About time. Been on the cards and discussed on here since the December/January window.

Suspect he is happy to move now following FGRs early season debacles and Cooper's odd outbursts.

Frear on one wing. Dayton on the other.

When do you want our Q&A suggestions JP?
Malabus
I thought he played really well at their place against us. Non existent in the play offs final. Have be in favour of signing him for a long time, would be a good addition.
Johnsons Red Army
Let's hope this one crosses the line, will be a good signing.
asl
Can't seem to open the link so apologies if this is answered in the article: how much of a fee will FGR demand? After all, it's not like they are forced to let him go for £20k and a friendly.
Malabus
Depends how long his got on his contract, I would have thought.
Artemis
asl wrote:Can't seem to open the link so apologies if this is answered in the article: how much of a fee will FGR demand? After all, it's not like they are forced to let him go for £20k and a friendly.
No, but if he doesn't feature in Cooper's plans, best to move him on. Although we won't be able to include the packet of pork scratchings as the deal clincher. Maybe GJs at Waitrose in Stroud looking for a packet of vegetable crisps....
The Old TomCat
Artemis wrote:Although being the cautious person I am, I'll believe it when I see him in the colours....

Edit: he's only started the first game for them this season, and wasn't in the 16 for the game at Kingfield on Tuesday, so perhaps he doesn't feature in Cooper's plans any longer. So a move makes sense.
Elliott was out injured - he had a lump on his chest that prevented him from taking deep breaths.
Mark Cooper has indicated that he could be back in the squad for the game tomorrow.
To me Elliott was FGR Player of the Season and I will be sad to lose him. But apparently he lives in Cheltenham and of course they are a step up in the Football League. Good luck to the guy.
http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/ch ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Artemis
OTC, when did he pick up his injury? He was on the bench and used as a sub in the other games. Perhaps not happy at being on the bench? Not guaranteed a start with us though.
The Old TomCat
Artemis wrote:OTC, when did he pick up his injury? He was on the bench and used as a sub in the other games. Perhaps not happy at being on the bench? Not guaranteed a start with us though.
I'm not sure where he came about injury but it is genuine.
The standard test didn't show up what was wrong. He told me that he had to go for further investigations this Monday past. And that is as much as I know.

I'm sure he is aware, as all football players are, that they are never guaranteed a first team place. But knowing Elliott I'm sure he will battle to be in CTFC's starting line-up if and when he signs.
Robin
Wow, cracking signing this one could be if he plays like he did against us last season, just the sort of player we need!
Shade
I'm just sitting here waiting to read that we haven't even made a bid for him.
everyman
Shade wrote:I'm just sitting here waiting to read that we haven't even made a bid for him.
Same here,would rather read Frear signs ?
Circa 1887
Hope this one happens, exactly the caliber of player we should be looking to add to the team.
Robin
Shade wrote:I'm just sitting here waiting to read that we haven't even made a bid for him.
it's funny but I checked back expecting to find out it's rubbish after the Dover lad story coming from his agent!
CTFC03
Fingers crossed we get him in, would be an amazing signing.
Nesty
can I make a plea to our hard working guys from the Echo not to go to press until its a done deal - this is getting silly
Fuller
FGR wanted too much .....
andgarod
Nesty I thought you were complaining it was too quiet
Also the Echos reported it that they were trying
Also they didnt do a scoop on Koby

Cant have it all ways
Robin
This is odd, how can a deal be close then fall at the last minute because of the fee FGR are demanding? Surely the clubs agree a fee then we talk to the player...
Nesty
andgarod wrote:Nesty I thought you were complaining it was too quiet
Also the Echos reported it that they were trying
Also they didnt do a scoop on Koby

Cant have it all ways
I think I meant quiet from the fans
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:This is odd, how can a deal be close then fall at the last minute because of the fee FGR are demanding? Surely the clubs agree a fee then we talk to the player...
Boosted the Echo site visits on a slow news day.

It was close, just one zero out.

Wonder if JP/JY used the same source as the Dover nonsense.

Etc.
Chris FGR
Not sure there was ever a real story here. Would have thought that if Frear had wanted to sign for you, he would have done before his contract was extended this summer.

We haven't sold an under contract player in years, certainly not since DV took over. Clubs tend to stay clear as they can't afford to match the wages nor the fee we'd ask for.
The Old TomCat
Fuller wrote:FGR wanted too much .....
Newspaper says Cheltenham have not approached FGR about Frear.
Would appear to be just journalist hype and Frear to remain at FGR

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... nham_Town/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jon Palmer
Both stories re Raggett and Frear were absolutely true at the time of writing, but things change.
Shade
I don't want to get into an argument, but how is someone signing "close" when a fee hasn't even been agreed?
Chris FGR
Jon Palmer wrote:Both stories re Raggett and Frear were absolutely true at the time of writing, but things change.
GJ and his brother are not fools. They'd be fully aware that we'd be asking for a big fee, as we're hardly under pressure to sell. On that basis I can't see why they would have tried to pursue this now after his contract had been extended, rather then going for him at the end of last season. It doesn't make sense.
Fuller
Not sure why some of these stories get in the press in the first place, as I said previously I'd rather read "Robins sign X on a 2 year deal for £x fee from club X" when the deal is done.

And you wonder how many other deals and discussions never even get reported as it's kept under tight wraps.

On this subject what are fans most disappointing non-signing ? I was gutted when we didn't get Gary Hooper after a six figure transfer bid had been apparently agreed, think that was during Keith Downing's era.
Robin
Yeah Gary Hooper there was another lad too, I remember at the time Scunny kept stealing our targets once it appeared in the press, there was Woolford, a lad from Stoke and Hooper too, all went on to have great careers in the lower leagues too.
andgarod
so the 2 deals that have just been completed were done without knowledge

Perhaps there is an agent using the Echo to boost his player

So lets start the witch hunt whos at fault; Jon Palmer, James Young , a club official, a club hangeron, an agent, GJ putting up a smoke screen to divert attention or someone else
Shade
Coincidentally, both of todays signings weren't rumoured before being announced by the club, so in future maybe we should all just take little notice of rumours. I'm trying to think of any that were, apart from trialists. Pretty sure Holman wasn't rumoured before being announced, even though we knew a signing of a striker was imminent.