Gary Johnson

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

IYWT
Is very good at blaming the players, but should not be immune from criticism himself. After all it was his judgement in the summer that these players would be good enough.
Only 2 wins in 15 Football League games doesn't look good either
andgarod
There is no doubt that GJ wants Chelteham to do well,
But ask yourself has he been backed by the board.
What has happened to the alleged £1million we get for being in lge2
Having decided to give last seasons players ago he was talking preseason and in August about players being out of our pay league
Perhaps he has tried.
Only last week he was talking about free agents wanting too much money for CTFC
You can take it two ways 1 He didnt think they were worth it or 2 He didnt have the money

Has the club failed to speculate to accumulate

Equally it was GJ that picked the team today
Did he hook the correct CB today in most peoples opinion he did not
How were we going to score goals with 4 CBs on the pitch and only one striker ( see not able to sign players above)
Due to injury we have a Bristol city loanee as our second striker when he is obviously a creative player
Is GJ doing his son a favour or is it that Smith is cheap because the son is doing dad a favourSomeone said we will be alright when Storer AMS and Holman return
When is that and dont forget they will need to get match fit and prove they can step up to lge2

I thought that Cheltenham were the better team but lets give County 3 goals

Downes is a leader and organiser but he didnt have any pace last season so he was not going to have it this
Anyone who was at seasons for the last two reserve matches knew what was waiting to happen. Downes kept DO'S and Parslow together but was poor himself.
Rowe off injured Dayton hardly match fit
Tough times but I am sure that Gary will sort things but dont expect him to make a silk pursue out of a sows ear

Rant over
Cant make Yeovil on Saturday as tied up until 1pm but you can rest assured that Gary will want a response next Saturday
leohoenig
andgarod wrote: What has happened to the alleged £1million we get for being in lge2
Alleged by who?
You are close to being out by a factor of two
andgarod
I did say alleged Leo

I dont believe that the money was given out as a handful of £50 notes but I did understand that there was a large increase in revenue from TV etc. There was also the fact that te funding for the academy etc would be stabalised. Revenue streams would improve etc

Most of players sponsorship gone but then it is £100 per player less than 2 seasons ago

Even if the income increase is £500K has the club speculated to accumulate
The chairman has talked about sustainability but it still runs at a loss.
Has the money disappeared into the black hole that is CTFC
I know supporters who have offered money but been told its not enough
I know supporters who have volunteered and told it was not good enough

Are these out of contract players too expensive against their opinions of themselves.
We did not bring anyone with football league experience other than 1 FGR player who has now been loaned out
I still believe GJ will turn it round this season but he may have a hand tied behind his back

Did you see the Mark Yates article
Did you see the comment by the chairman about 2 bad managerial appointments
I know its all the chairmans money that is bankrolling the club but we are not for whatever reason investing in our future
£200K from the trust for 1 board member not good enough

I just hope that there is some money in the kitty at Christmas
horlickfanclub
Gary Johnson and his failure to change from the three at the back and two blokes glued to the half way line was a disaster. Not only are some players struggling to adapt to Div 2 so is the Manager.
Where was he at the end for the supporters who stayed to clap ? Standing by the box while Russell Milton came over with the players. Really poor effort yesterday Mr.Johnson.
Reliant Robin
Have to say the home support was absolutely immense yesterday and I think that shows the true class of the Cheltenham fans.

I don't ever remember a 90 minute league game where the opposition players collapsed on the turf at the end of the game looking totally drained - that's what you'd usually expect in a cup game after extra time - and generally it's the losing side. Normally you'd expect a League game winning team to go rushing over to their travelling support, to take their applause. It was very odd indeed.

It's unusual for Gary Johnson to get his PR wrong, but I think his disappointment got the better of him yesterday.

We need a bit of luck, a couple of tweaks here and there and I feel sure we will start climbing the League table. We are not far away from being a decent unit and it is still very early in the season. No need to panic, it will come good and the signs are there that we are not far away now.
longmover
horlickfanclub wrote:Gary Johnson and his failure to change from the three at the back and two blokes glued to the half way line was a disaster. Not only are some players struggling to adapt to Div 2 so is the Manager.
Where was he at the end for the supporters who stayed to clap ? Standing by the box while Russell Milton came over with the players. Really poor effort yesterday Mr.Johnson.
this made me laugh :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
andgarod wrote:I did say alleged Leo

I dont believe that the money was given out as a handful of £50 notes but I did understand that there was a large increase in revenue from TV etc. There was also the fact that te funding for the academy etc would be stabalised. Revenue streams would improve etc

Most of players sponsorship gone but then it is £100 per player less than 2 seasons ago

Even if the income increase is £500K has the club speculated to accumulate
The chairman has talked about sustainability but it still runs at a loss.
Has the money disappeared into the black hole that is CTFC
I know supporters who have offered money but been told its not enough
I know supporters who have volunteered and told it was not good enough

Are these out of contract players too expensive against their opinions of themselves.
We did not bring anyone with football league experience other than 1 FGR player who has now been loaned out
I still believe GJ will turn it round this season but he may have a hand tied behind his back

Did you see the Mark Yates article
Did you see the comment by the chairman about 2 bad managerial appointments
I know its all the chairmans money that is bankrolling the club but we are not for whatever reason investing in our future
£200K from the trust for 1 board member not good enough

I just hope that there is some money in the kitty at Christmas

The boat was pushed out last season when the Board speculated - risking the future of the club - to get promotion. Having done that it is fair to accept a year or two of stable spending to recoup the money/losses from last season.
andgarod
GJ was involved with a spat with Sheidan which involved the lino and fourth official
I think GJ took it into overtime
Robin
Sheridan is a first class prat, his teams are a reflection of him too dirty and let's just say "professional" when it comes to rolling around with minimal contact.
Shade
Let's not go over the top again. We're not far off a win still, still haven't been stuffed by anyone and could have easily got a point on Saturday if not for some poor finishing in the last 15 minutes and some poor defending by a defence that looked worse than it has all season. We're still seeing the creases ironed out from a disrupted start to the season. If it's still going the same way after the tenth game has been played then maybe we should start asking questions about what's going on. For me, with Storer, Munns and Dayton back we will looking much stronger in midfield as Rowe and Hall, as well as he has done in his defensive role, are only adequate, imo.