Gary Johnson - how long?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Did he go from hero to zero and if so where? The only example I could find was at Yeovil when they were in free fall after he got them in the Championship.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I don't think so. You can't polish a turd. Some of our experience players are struggling. GJ can't make Downes any faster or sure footed, can teach Parslow how to kick it, Wright to be more mobile or Storer to be more composed and creative.

GJ was correct to give them a chance, and he will do his best to rectify it. We should back him.

If we had everyone fit I would play:

Griff

Dickie
O'S
Parslow
Cranston

Munns
Pell
Stoz
Hall
Dayts
(Dayts and Munns in advanced wide positions. I.e 4-3-2-1)

Holman

In January replacement for Parslow and another winger, midfielder and striker to complete the squad by replacing current ineffective loans.
Nesty
if everyone fit - but they never are
everyman
Nesty wrote:if everyone fit - but they never are
Some of them don`t have the courage to play they lack confidence in their own ability,perhaps they listen to the manager.
darreno

Also there is no chance we will be relegated and I would be amazed if we finish bottom eight
It is irrational to say this now after 19 games. We are where are because we are sh!te at the moment. Where is the money coming from to persuade the quality of player we need to come here? Tell us that.
Robin
We are not exactly paupers, sure we are not loaded but there will clearly be money available for GJ.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Getting to the Third Round will give additional funding. Apart from that, I imagine the budget is tight without board members digging in to their pockets like after we went down.
horlickfanclub
SuperPete needs appraisal.
heedrobin
This thread/question is a joke, there's always going to be a contingent of clueless fans who start this c!#p off after a bad run. Sack Gary?! Who do you replace him with?
Ralph
heedrobin wrote:This thread/question is a joke, there's always going to be a contingent of clueless fans who start this c!#p off after a bad run. Sack Gary?! Who do you replace him with?
Agree 100%
There has been comments before on here that the OP isn't even a CTFC fan, just a WUM. Have to say i agree
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
heedrobin wrote:This thread/question is a joke, there's always going to be a contingent of clueless fans who start this c!#p off after a bad run. Sack Gary?! Who do you replace him with?
Agree 100%
There has been comments before on here that the OP isn't even a CTFC fan, just a WUM. Have to say i agree
Some sort of York-hating Scottish-sectarian nut-job I thought?
Ralph
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Agree 100%
Some sort of York-hating Scottish-sectarian nut-job I thought?
That is about right
Shade
As Halliwell said on the radio on Saturday, the worst thing we can do as a set of supporters and as a club is start panicking way too soon. We did it 2 years ago and look what happened - we ended up with the biggest fuc**it possible in charge and relegation.
confused.com
No need for panic at all, just a need for everyone concerned to start producing the goods, from manager to loanees
asl
Shade wrote:As Halliwell said on the radio on Saturday, the worst thing we can do as a set of supporters and as a club is start panicking way too soon. We did it 2 years ago and look what happened - we ended up with the biggest fuc**it possible in charge and relegation.
It's just a blip.
Robin
Shade wrote:As Halliwell said on the radio on Saturday, the worst thing we can do as a set of supporters and as a club is start panicking way too soon. We did it 2 years ago and look what happened - we ended up with the biggest fuc**it possible in charge and relegation.
I'm not sure 18th months of panic resulting in a sacking is a sign of panic, the issue last time was the appointment of Buckle rather than a competent manager.
Shade
18 months of panic :O

Paul Buckle was a panic appointment. He was available so Yates got the boot and they stuck him in quickly before the FA Cup tie, and it all went tits up.
London Exile
I'm still hoping GJ signs a contract extension.
I'm confident that come January Gary and Pete will bring in the type of player we need and steer us comfortably clear of the trap door.

Rightly or wrongly Gary has given last years group the chance to play FL and some have not been able to step up and repay Gary. I don't think he'll make those mistakes in the next transfer window
horlickfanclub
Like the players Gary has to earn his extension and I would hope he will agree.
Shade
London Exile wrote:
Rightly or wrongly Gary has given last years group the chance to play FL and some have not been able to step up and repay Gary. I don't think he'll make those mistakes in the next transfer window
There's no two ways about it, he had to give them a chance in the league as he promised he would let them if they got us promoted. They held up their end, and we're not a club that would reneg on a promise to its players.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
London Exile wrote:
There's no two ways about it, he had to give them a chance in the league as he promised he would let them if they got us promoted. They held up their end, and we're not a club that would reneg on a promise to its players.
Exactly, integrity is everything.
bigdavejambo
is it time to start this debate again?
little mo
bigdavejambo wrote:is it time to start this debate again?
little mo
You only ever come on here to stir the s#!t on behalf of your mate mad dog Allen.
bigdavejambo
little mo wrote:
You only ever come on here to stir the s#!t on behalf of your mate mad dog Allen.
i raised a sensible question which looking at results of late is a question that needs asking
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Four games into the season when the whole division is separated by just seven points even after we lose by one goal to the team top of the league?

No it is not the time. Put your knee down and revisit this thread in ten games time.
King giraffe iii
So, going down with us this season?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
King giraffe iii wrote:So, going down with us this season?
El Glos 2019 might be televised.
Nesty
what it is time for is time for GJ and his brother to get their fe@@king fingers out and sign some decent players, and " 1 or 2" isnt way near enough. even before the Boyle/Forster injuries and Grimes 3 game suspension the guys on the radio were calling the squad "wafer thin", so sorry Mr Johnson 1 or 2 wont cut it, we need 4 or 5 two fullbacks , a CB on short term loan, a winger and a good striker

NO MORE ROUND PEGS
confused.com
Four games into the season when the whole division is separated by just seven points even after we lose by one goal to the team top of the league?

No it is not the time. Put your knee down and revisit this thread in ten games time.
Only reason I say no, is because there is only 5 days left to get some decent players in.
RCS it is not the defeat, it is the manner of the defeat and the lack of options to change things. Our best creative ball player was our best defender, what does that say about our options ? I just don't fancy another season of scraping along the bottom. The old argument about 'who could do better' is a futile one when it will be raised. Nobody knows who could do better, sadly it will be hard to do worse. The telling point for me was that even when two up, nobody sitting around me was even confident of a draw.
You used the old 10 games argument last year then teh wait til January. Not again please
Ralph
little mo wrote:
He's a troll...
and no is the answer...
I-Love-CTFC
Ralph wrote:
little mo wrote:
He's a troll...
and no is the answer...
I think it's a perfectly justfied question. If the transfer window wasn't closing on Thursday, I think quite a few fans would say enough is enough.
King giraffe iii
King giraffe iii wrote:So, going down with us this season?
El Glos 2019 might be televised.
Quite so! We really are terrible. A young, very lightweight side with only one player showing any bite in midfield. This week we signed a Cambridge cast-off who was nowhere near their first eleven and we wonder why we got hammered today.
Robin
I knew there would be a meltdown but this is pathetic, we outplayed the team top of the league for 70 minutes today before the Forster injury when we fell apart.
I-Love-CTFC
Robin wrote:I knew there would be a meltdown but this is pathetic, we outplayed the team top of the league for 70 minutes today before the Forster injury when we fell apart.
The only thing that was pathetic was our defence and the utter capitulation that unfolded after being in such a good position.