Sutton

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
I know it's a few weeks away but I took a look at the football ground guide:
http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leag ... attendance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ground is err...basic to put it politely but at least it seems we will have some cover in the small terrace opposite their support and there appears to be a lot of good pub choices with a club house which welcomes away supporters. The pitch itself looks very nice on the pictures too.
CS85
Isn't it a 3g pitch or whatever they are called.niceasy steady surface to invade once the whistle has gone and Confirmed our victory.
Shade
4G. I think 3G are banned now, aren't they? Something to do with carcinogens from old tyres being used in the rubber crumb?
The Old TomCat
Cheltenham Town have the opportunity to put another one over their near neighbours and win away at Sutton - the team that put FGR out of cup. :cry:
The hospitality at Sutton is second to none - it is one of the friendliest clubs about.
Normally there is no ground separation of fans, although I'm not sure about an FA Cup game.
Sutton re-laid the pitch at Gander Green Lane in August 2015 with 3G artificial turf, but I will say that it is very good and a footballing side like CTFC will love it.
And yes I do wish CTFC well.
Shade
Oh, I see 3G aren't banned. But a lot are being ripped up, especially in Holland.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ow-7644092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pitch will suit our play.
Amber SUFC
After two away defeats Sutton fans suffered a little more last night :cry:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transpor ... 02336.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Honestly, I think I'd rather have taken that than watch our performance last night :o
AlfieSUFC
A quick look at what to expect at Sutton United
https://youtu.be/1gUQFrTU2jI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fuller
I remember seeing us play there in 1986 in the Conference, doesn't look like it has changed too much !
Wasn't the easiest place to get to if I recall. bit like Kingstonian.
everyman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Pitch will suit our play.
Those pitches suit teams that play the ball on the ground and move the ball quickly with confidence,not exactly our current method.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Pitch will suit our play.
Those pitches suit teams that play the ball on the ground and move the ball quickly with confidence,not exactly our current method.
Yes. Having witnessed the aimless, hopeless, floated hoof and hope and statuesque forward runs I have to agree.

I would go radical at Sutton.

Dickie in the holding midfield role to utilise his ability to run and pass. Munns and Dayton in advanced midfield. Then we rely on those three to make one twos and triangles and create chances Wright and Waters (assuming DH injured) can't miss no matter how much they scuff or sky the shot.

If we can set-up the defence to only need one of Laurel & Hardy at the back then all the better.
Robin
Please no radical let's go back to our tried and tested 5-3-2.

Griffiths
Barthram (RWB)
Dickie (CB)
Downes (CB)
O'Shaugnessy/Parslow (CB)
Cranston (LB)
Pell
Storer
Dayton
Waters
Wright

That side should be more than capable of beating Sutton.
London Exile
Robin wrote:Please no radical let's go back to our tried and tested 5-3-2.

Griffiths
Barthram (RWB)
Dickie (CB)
Downes (CB)
Cranston (LB)
Pell
Storer
Dayton
Waters
Wright

I'd like to see Barts at RB/RWB but I suspect after yesterday's comments Dickie will be played there with Downes & Parslow our two centre backs and DOS added if we play with three in there.

I think a 3-5-2 presents the best formation for the current squad and offers the front line the most ammunition
everyman
London Exile wrote:
Robin wrote:Please no radical let's go back to our tried and tested 5-3-2.

Griffiths
Barthram (RWB)
Dickie (CB)
Downes (CB)
Cranston (LB)
Pell
Storer
Dayton
Waters
Wright

I'd like to see Barts at RB/RWB but I suspect after yesterday's comments Dickie will be played there with Downes & Parslow our two centre backs and DOS added if we play with three in there.

I think a 3-5-2 presents the best formation for the current squad and offers the front line the most ammunition
I doubt if Dayton will play on that surface with his fragile limbs ?
Beentheredonethat
Can't afford to have Cranners in team. He is liability. Stick O'shock out there. He played well there v Crewe.

Griff

Sully
Rob
Aaron
Pars
O'shock

Dayts
Harry
Stors

Walts
Wrighty

Not a lot of choice is there? Possibly Munns for Dayts?
Robin
Please not Suliman, he's a no where near good enough I'm afraid physically not ready and looks as though he has no confidence. Also I don't like the idea of Downes and Parslow both playing.
paperboy
If this was our next league match I think Gary would tinker as much as he could,but he has said that he will see how individual players train on the 4G at Winchcombe school and go from there.

That being the case it might save Cranston and Bartram who have both been poor/anonymous in our last two matches.

Also he might remind Storer that the rules of the game don't allow you to bite or whack an opponent and also (his current fad) that free kicks need to be taken in the general area of where the offence took place with the ball stationary.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Please not Suliman, he's a no where near good enough I'm afraid physically not ready and looks as though he has no confidence. Also I don't like the idea of Downes and Parslow both playing.
Suliman did well when he came on at Cambridge. He and Dickie linked up well and passed and moved well.

I agree re: Parslow and Downes. For financial reasons this game is crucial. The most important of the season so far. A loss is unthinkable, and a draw is no good as the replay will just hasten the pitch degradation. Can we afford to risk them together, even if against lower league opponents?
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:Please not Suliman, he's a no where near good enough I'm afraid physically not ready and looks as though he has no confidence. Also I don't like the idea of Downes and Parslow both playing.
Suliman did well when he came on at Cambridge. He and Dickie linked up well and passed and moved well.

I agree re: Parslow and Downes. For financial reasons this game is crucial. The most important of the season so far. A loss is unthinkable, and a draw is no good as the replay will just hasten the pitch degradation. Can we afford to risk them together, even if against lower league opponents?
Well I think they did well against National league teams last season so there's no reason (I think we won the league) to think that they won't next week.

Agree that Suliman did ok against Cambridge and seems to have manned up physically from the boy who arrived a few months ago. Mind you why ever did he not shoot when he ended up unmarked at the far post on Saturday.

Why is the name Tamworth starting to creep into my head?
Robin
Confidence will be our biggest enemy on Saturday, if we play to our potential and believe in ourselves then we should win.
westernshore
A little bit surprised that O'Shaughnewsy hasn't been mentioned more as he is the team'so second highest
League goal scorer and he is primarily a centre half
Robin
I like O'Shaugnessey, a little raw but alongside a decent centre half who can constantly talk to him I see real development potential.
westernshore
I agree. He has time on his side so he can develop. If he is partnered with a good, experienced centre half and could
Develop a good rapport. I think O'Shaughnessy/Dickie could be a very good partnership if they are given enough time to develop. I think he is only 22 if I am correct, unlike Downes/Parslow
who are I believe 31/32 years old, plus he seems to have a nose for goal-scoring, so far 3 goals
This season.
longmover
Sutton will be smelling an upset here, they know that if they put two quick goals passed us in the 1st we're done, the whole club (Sutton) will be well up for this match.
Shade
Back to the basics of the best formation and team that would have won this match in the NL last season. Keep getting it into the players that this is a match they would go out and win last season. Keep it simple, try to make it as much like last season as possible.
Si Robin
I see Sutton were hammered 6-0 at home to Dover tonight.
everyman
Si Robin wrote:I see Sutton were hammered 6-0 at home to Dover tonight.
That could be a "red herring" or perhaps a "Dover sole".
kora
6 players rested and the lad who was sent off was one of the replacements so not much of a clue for Saturday. Pity, I was hoping that was their best 11.
Amber SUFC
We were hoping to fool your scouts!

It seems our poor lights and plastic pitch suited Dover.
ctfcliam1991
Anyone know how the tickets are selling for this one?

im just going to travel down on the day and pay on the turnstile
Amber SUFC
ctfcliam1991 wrote:Anyone know how the tickets are selling for this one?

You can but tickets on the day. I don't think there is a stand transfer, so get you ticket in advance if you wish to sit.
ctfcliam1991
Amber SUFC wrote:
ctfcliam1991 wrote:Anyone know how the tickets are selling for this one?

You can but tickets on the day. I don't think there is a stand transfer, so get you ticket in advance if you wish to sit.

Many thanks!
Amber SUFC
I have just been told you can buy stand tickets on the day. At the moment there is little chance the tickets will be sold out for the away stand.
ctfcliam1991
Amber SUFC wrote:I have just been told you can buy stand tickets on the day. At the moment there is little chance the tickets will be sold out for the away stand.

It did state that on the CTFC website.

I'm sure we'll take a couple of hundred down. Dont think we'll sell out.