Time to go Gary

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

bigdavejambo
relegation back to non-league will finish this club off as there will be no money to rebuild the squad like last time.

Surely lessons were learnt 2 years ago. Swallow your pride and quit while the season is still salvagable.
Nesty
1 point from last 5 games and a disaster at Sutton
Alf
bigdavejambo wrote:relegation back to non-league will finish this club off as there will be no money to rebuild the squad like last time.

Surely lessons were learnt 2 years ago. Swallow your pride and quit while the season is still salvagable.
That is ridiculous on so many levels. Rebuild required in January same as when he took over. He must know better than anyone who is worth keeping and who needs shipping out. We hit the woodwork twice in first half, sometimes success and failure is really that close.
Robin
Why bother responding to trolls guys?
Ralph
bigdavejambo wrote:relegation back to non-league will finish this club off as there will be no money to rebuild the squad like last time.

hahaha.. get back to your own little club BDJ :lol:
Nham68
Alf wrote:

That is ridiculous on so many levels. Rebuild required in January same as when he took over. He must know better than anyone who is worth keeping and who needs shipping out. We hit the woodwork twice in first half, sometimes success and failure is really that close.

Rebuild what he has built...hmmmm, not confident to be honest .. Second half showed just how far away we are : frailty in defence - cannot defend for our lives, what was once a tight unit is now a rapidly leaking tap...3 goals conceded in each of last 3 games. Slow , cannot defend set plays ..cannot play the ball out without committing football suicide.. . decent keeper is the only positive...

Forward line that simply put, isn't up to league 2. No fault on effort mind, but on today's and recent showing , ability not there... Waters is the only one I'd keep / Amari and Danny W just simply not capable at this level. Forget Holman as the saviour - unproven, and not fit for majority of the season.

Middle of the park were ok... but we don't use it. We play hit n hoof from the back, it's our only game plan today in 2nd half .. lost count of the number of times Donwes just pumps it forward, every team that comes here puts 2-3 on DW and he wins every 3rd flick on ,, which goes to nobody anyhow,

I'm shocked that we have one really good creative playmaker and we don't seem to want to use him (Munns)...
It's like we still think we're in the Vanarama ... we soon will be ...

I think the manager has lost the dressing room because he's effectively told a load of them they aren't up to it (what he says in public is likely much softer than what is said behind closed doors).. and will be shipped out : if you tell people repeatedly they're not good enough, guess what - becomes a self fulfilling prophecy .

we need half a new squad in Jan : is it likely to happen ? We recruited badly combined with a number unable to make the step up ... double whammy from which we might not recover. Sentiment about giving everyone a chance ? No room for sentiment I'm afraid... romantic idea that simply put was the wrong strategy...
Nham68
Ben2 wrote:Robin and Ralph - of course this site is the home for the nutjobs. But don't forget it was this site that put the pressure on Baker to sack Yates that led to us being relegated previously. With Yates in charge we would definitely have stayed up - he was pilloried on here and eventually sacked that directly led to us being relegated (much to the job of regular posters on here who are DESPERATE for us to fail).

Whilst this site is a good thing for "special" people it is a nightmare for the majority of normal people who support the cub and want them to do as well as possible. Every week the same old "odd-folk" do their thing and try to convince the sane majority of their view.

For gods sake, if I see one more thread on: "How shall we approach the loss?" as if people who post on a forum once a week have any impact whatsoever on the real world - then I think I shall lose my head. Its bonkers - "Oh, well, I think we should all want us to win three games in the next 13..." IDIOTS!

Up the robins :)
Sorry, who says posters on here want the club to fail ? That's just BS : I for one don't - paid my season ticket last 9 of 11seasons - of course myself and others alike want us to succeed - but you can't deny that there are some serious troubles.Some of us post objective feedback - which many are in denial about and don't want to listen. Don't confuse that with the trolls .. and the fact we don't post multiple times per day, every day, doesn't make us any less passionate or our opinions any less valid ... unless this forum is just for the preserve of those who have time to post high volumes of traffic.
longmover
Don't worry, Downes has gone into the bar and apologised to everyone and knows where they are going wrong.

As I said before, talk is very cheap.
horlickfanclub
At least he has the bottle to face up.
Robin
I don't understand any criticism of these players they are giving everything and a good bunch, the problem is 3-4 just are not league standard (Downes, Wright, Parslow the main ones).
Beentheredonethat
Time for the voice of reason.
We should indeed have gone in at half time with at least a 2 goal lead (as last Sat) This suggest that strikers and midfield are not delivering, which is the case. Apart from his goal Billy was poor today and James and Wrighty were ineffective too. AMS did well but for those who didn't watch closely he was injured and struggled for at least 10 mins before going off, which was a shame. It could be argued that this was yet another bit of misfortune when we didn't need it! (as with Holman, Asa etc!)
However the second half was a different story mainly because of shocking defending. Maybe, just maybe, their first was one of those that could have gone anywhere but happened to fly in......maybe not! He wasn't closed down as last Sat. Goals two and three were the result of dreadful defending, the latter after Storer had given it away.
With a bit of luck we could have gone ahead at 1-1, (scramble! unlucky again!), but in the end the defence is our problem. 9 goals in three league games. Surely for the remaining Dec games we need to concentrate on not letting goals in and coming away with goal less draws.
Then what? Three new defenders, two forwards. Rob is only defender worth his place and the rest need to go. Then we need to find someone who can replace Holman till he is fit and we need a winger. Not sure even Billy will be playing after New Year as he is not strong enough and a couple of times in first half he should have dome much better.
As for questions about GJ, it is absolute nonsense to think about him going. I imagine that he realises that the recruitment was not good enough in the Summer, though he did promise to give these boys a chance, which he has done. He has been really unlucky with Holman, Asa, and, to a lesser degree, Storer with injury, suspension etc.
The voice of reason says that there are plenty of games still to go for us to be comfortable come May, and the New Year will be a happy one.
I-Love-CTFC
Gary Johnson tactical genius. Bringing on the beloved Easah Suliman and leaving Jack Munns and Jack Barthram who were a big part of last season's success on the bench. Bizarre! He's lost the plot.
COYB
longmover wrote:Don't worry, Downes has gone into the bar and apologised to everyone and knows where they are going wrong.

Yes talk is cheap but if he had the bottle to do that, fair play. Are all of the players good enough, no. Do they give their all, yes. We are all disappointed but we absolutely have to keep supporting and not sniping.
I-Love-CTFC
longmover wrote:Don't worry, Downes has gone into the bar and apologised to everyone and knows where they are going wrong.

Downes is part of the problem. Too slow and not good enough for L2. The Conference is his level. A leader and a really nice bloke but unfortunately he's not up to this standard.
Robin
Agree Downes needs to be retained as cover.
Si Robin

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But Martin Allen wasn't given enough time ladies and gentlemen.
solihullkev
Time to go ? Load of nonsense. Some very short memories posting here

We need some different players for sure ; but also a bit of luck. Exeter could have had no complaints had we been 3 up at half time.
Si Robin
I spoke to a few of their fans in Parklands after the game and asked for their opinion. Their words, not mine, were that we should have been at least 1 or 2 up at half-time and after we equalised they thought we were going to get the second and win. They couldn't believe they went back in front and agreed with me that we went to pieces after that.
London Exile
Last January Gary signed Holman which proved crucial to our promotion, we could do with a few signings making a similar impact next month.
bigdavejambo
solihullkev wrote:Time to go ? Load of nonsense. Some very short memories posting here

We need some different players for sure ; but also a bit of luck. Exeter could have had no complaints had we been 3 up at half time.
but you dont get awarded the 3 points for ifs and buts. it is starting to look difficult down at the bottom with a notable gap appearing.
Si Robin
I don't think we need as much as people are banging on about. We need a better centre-back, we need someone on the right and we need a forward.

The main boo boy of the last few weeks, Jordan Cranston, was brilliant today, arguably his best performance in a Cheltenham shirt, especially in the first half. AMS was fantastic today and deserves another shot up top next week. Waters was wasted on the wing, but did well to get his goal. Pell and Stoz (gift aside) were fine together and Dayts looked fantastic at times. Wright is a fantastic squad player, but I don't think he's good enough to lead the line at this level.

The first 11 needs some experience and the team as a whole needs a bit of luck. I applauded the players today because I thought that they gave their all and 3-1 was a harsh result. I stand by that.
I-Love-CTFC
solihullkev wrote:Time to go ? Load of nonsense. Some very short memories posting here

Not nonsense at all. MY took a look of criticism for his poor loan signings and some of GJ's this season have been just as bad. Baffling substitutions, falling out with players. (Barthram) Faith and patience is being tested right now.
bigdavejambo
I-Love-CTFC wrote:

Not nonsense at all. MY took a look of criticism for his poor loan signings and some of GJ's this season have been just as bad. Baffling substitutions, falling out with players. (Barthram) Faith and patience is being tested right now.
GJ seems to have a reputation of starting well at clubs before running out of ideas when the going gets tough (Yeovil, Bristol City to name two) maybe thats the case again?
London Exile
Interesting you make that point Si because I was wondering after today what's the minimum number of signings we'd need to make to start getting this team going?
I've yet to see anyone come to Whaddon Road and brush us aside in the same manner Chesterfield did a couple of years ago. Neither Portsmouth, Luton or Doncaster took us apart IMO. The drubbings we've taken in the last few weeks I think is down to individual errors rather than us being outplayed.

I know we sit 23rd and 3 - 6 points off the pack above but a couple of proven L2 players, one at Centre Back and one up front could make a heck of difference.
I think the squad confidence is shot but it doesn't take much to get it back
Del Boy
People on this board kept sticking the knife into MY because "anything but the play-offs is failure" yet the same people think GJ is a "superb manager" and "Gary will sort it out" etc - these players are not good enough and the failure to improve the squad in the summer is to blame. To say he wanted to give last year's players a chance in the league is a cop out.
If a manager of a team promoted to the Premier League said he was going to stick with the promoted squad he would be slaughtered - and rightly so. This is no different but we're all meant to keep the faith.
And talking about a new two year contract for the manager is just laughable.
Si Robin
MY's was a long fall. We made the playoffs twice and then dropped to 16th (I think). We were awful that 3rd season, but Yates was given a chance to turn it around. We started the next one well but then became a disaster.

To compare GJ to Yates is to compare apples to pears. GJ got us up, he forged a brand new team and achieved something with this club rather than being a nearly man. According to a lot of people, what he achieved last season was this club's greatest feat. Codswallop of course, but some people genuinely believe that.

I think the man deserves at least another transfer window to turn it around. What is this modern clamour to demand instant success all the bloody time? GJ can't change the players until January, so we're lumbered until then. A new manager isn't suddenly going to make players who aren't good enough able to perform in League 2. I'm sure he'll be the first to say that his signings in the summer haven't been the right ones, they need to be sent back and the right ones brought in.

It's a big January and I'd rather we go into it with a plan led by GJ than by someone coming in and ripping the club up from top to bottom. There's no guarantee that will work and, as our own history will attest, it's usually not very successful.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Bad day in the Scottish tinpot was it? Rangers look to have second spot sown up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Gary Johnson tactical genius. Bringing on the beloved Easah Suliman and leaving Jack Munns and Jack Barthram who were a big part of last season's success on the bench. Bizarre! He's lost the plot.
If you fall out with Gary, you do not a second chance. Been the same throughout his career.
solihullkev
Today's game not one Munns would shine in ; dreadful conditions required more of a physical presence than he can offer
I-Love-CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Gary Johnson tactical genius. Bringing on the beloved Easah Suliman and leaving Jack Munns and Jack Barthram who were a big part of last season's success on the bench. Bizarre! He's lost the plot.
If you fall out with Gary, you do not a second chance. Been the same throughout his career.
Shaun Harrad knows all about that after Johnson picked a fight with him at Northampton.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:Today's game not one Munns would shine in ; dreadful conditions required more of a physical presence than he can offer
Very true. The groundshare has left the pitch in such a state that we can't play players like Munns. Points and attendances suffer as a result
Ralph
bigdavejambo wrote:
I-Love-CTFC wrote:

GJ seems to have a reputation of starting well at clubs before running out of ideas when the going gets tough (Yeovil, Bristol City to name two) maybe thats the case again?
Troll alert
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
You can't brand someone a troll just because they express a valid concern and opinion, even if one most of us do not agree with. That is not trolling.
Daveangel
I couldn't agree more.

Expressing your negative opinion of a manager is totally acceptable.

Calling someone nasty names like bald, or ginger, or saying they fancy children is trolling.

Thankfully, that doesn't happen on forums I frequent.
CTFCfan99
Sorry, I just think it's absolutely laughable to suggest we should get rid of GJ. Who are we going to bring in to replace him who will instantly make our players better? Because it is the players who aren't good enough; yes some will say that's on Gary for not replacing them in the summer, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and the fact is he'd have been slaughtered if he didn't give the title winning team a chance. He deserves at least January to get some new faces in and I firmly believe with a few quality additions we'll be fine.

Let's not forgot what happened when we panicked and changed managers two years ago when it started going wrong.