Griffiths

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
send him back, not fit to lace Bookie's boots

same for all other loans excluding Dicke
everyman
Nesty wrote:send him back, not fit to lace Bookie's boots

Why does Griffiths wear body armour under his jersey,the ball keeps bouncing of him ?
Maybe he`s worried about us snipers !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
Nesty wrote:send him back, not fit to lace Bookie's boots

Why does Griffiths wear body armour under his jersey,the ball keeps bouncing of him ?
Maybe he`s worried about us snipers !
In case Downes or Parslow fall over and kick him in the chest.
Robin
Griffiths is a little hit and miss to be fair, very raw.
Horteng
We want Flatt!
asl
Horteng wrote:We want Flatt!
We'd prefer Phillips, mind...
Horteng
asl wrote:
Horteng wrote:We want Flatt!
We'd prefer Phillips, mind...
Hes starting for Charlton so that's not going to happen

Flatt however is a realistic target.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Griffiths has done well in the games I have seen. In terms of priority of signings, there are other areas of the pitch which need strengthened ahead of goalkeeper.

Obviously always nice to have better players in each position. But realistically, in January we are going to have to focus on the need to haves, not nice to haves.
Nham68
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Griffiths has done well in the games I have seen. In terms of priority of signings, there are other areas of the pitch which need strengthened ahead of goalkeeper.

Obviously always nice to have better players in each position. But realistically, in January we are going to have to focus on the need to haves, not nice to haves.
I agree : he has done some excellent shot stopping .. some games has deserved MotM... still young... one mistake and the knives are out on the vipers nest ..
Robin
No knives out but he's made a number of mistakes this season, part of that comes with being a young keeper but he's cost us more points than he has saved on the overall balance. That said, a decent centre half and target man far more of a priority.
Reliant Robin
I think the criticism of Griffiths is OTT and he doesn't deserve that. A young keeper still learning his trade, and he will become a top keeper in a few short years when keepers reach maturity in their late 20's.
Those with short memories or a clouded view of history will have forgotten some of the spills that cost us points when Trevor Carson was keeping goal for us, and he was widely regarded as a hero and a fans favourite. Jon Flatt is a very decent keeper, but he would be a darn sight busier in goal for Cheltenham this season (as would Dillon) and would concede far more goals with a leaky defence in front of him, compared to last year when our side were always on the front foot and occupying the opponents. Last season our keepers had little to do in most games. Comparing Griffiths with last seasons Non-League 'pressure' is hugely unfair.
Robin
I am not comparing Griffiths but I don't believe he'll make a top keeper, in fact in a year or two I bet he's back up at a league two club. I also agree he's learning his trade and that explains some of his errors.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I predict that in 2018-19 Griffiths will make more starts and at a higher level than Flatt.
Robin
I'd wager both will be in the lower leagues in a season or two, neither are anywhere near good enough to crack the top two divisions.
longmover
Reliant Robin wrote:I think the criticism of Griffiths is OTT and he doesn't deserve that. A young keeper still learning his trade, and he will become a top keeper in a few short years when keepers reach maturity in their late 20's.
Those with short memories or a clouded view of history will have forgotten some of the spills that cost us points when Trevor Carson was keeping goal for us, and he was widely regarded as a hero and a fans favourite. Jon Flatt is a very decent keeper, but he would be a darn sight busier in goal for Cheltenham this season (as would Dillon) and would concede far more goals with a leaky defence in front of him, compared to last year when our side were always on the front foot and occupying the opponents. Last season our keepers had little to do in most games. Comparing Griffiths with last seasons Non-League 'pressure' is hugely unfair.
Completely agree with this
longmover
if we're saying Griffiths has cost us goals, then lets get on the rest of the ten players backs as well as they have all cost us goals and missed numerous chances to score and win games.
Another_FoD_Robin
longmover wrote:if we're saying Griffiths has cost us goals, then lets get on the rest of the ten players backs as well as they have all cost us goals and missed numerous chances to score and win games.
People like to blame keepers because they are the last line of defence. If they mess up 9/10 it's a goal. People don't consider there are ten players in front of them and defence starts at the front. The joys of fickle fans.

I thought Flatt had a big future and is highly rated at Wolves? As for Griffiths I feel he is a good keeper but will need another loan at a high League One club/lower Championship club to see if he can cut it in the Premier League. However..... at present he's not the worst keeper we could have....
Robin
Nobody is saying he's terrible but I feel it's fair to recognise he's inconsistent and maybe not the best option either.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes, I would say fair to recognise inconsistency and inexperience. Whilst ideally there are potentially better options (we don't know is available, affordable, and willing to join us don't forget) I would say it is also fair to state we need to prioritise other positions (defence, up top, for eg) before using limited funds/loan quota on another keeper.
Robin
I did state an experienced centre half and target man are surely the priorities probably followed by a right wing back if Barts is leaving.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I did state an experienced centre half and target man are surely the priorities probably followed by a right wing back if Barts is leaving.
You did, and rightly so.
darreno
A bit harsh, he's only a kid