Jon Flatt

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Horteng
Anyone know what he's up to?

Would love to see him back here in Jan.

Russell just isn't up to it I'm afraid
I-Love-CTFC
He's fourth choice at Wolves. I'd definitely have him back here. Griffiths just makes too many mistakes.
Robin
Agree, he's not fantastic but I'd take him over Griffiths who has cost us a number of goals this season (with a few decent saves too to be fair).
DingDing
I feel that if GJ thought Flatt was up to this level he'd have gone for him over Griffiths when Phillips deal fell through?

Wolves unlikely to have stood in his way given he's fourth choice if we had gone knocking.
everyman
DingDing wrote:I feel that if GJ thought Flatt was up to this level he'd have gone for him over Griffiths when Phillips deal fell through?

Wolves unlikely to have stood in his way given he's fourth choice if we had gone knocking.
Kitscha has looked as good as Flatt in recent reserve matches,you can`t judge until they play in pressure games though.
horlickfanclub
Give Kitscha a go. He must be up to it by now .
Robin
Kitscha didn't inspire confidence when he came on at Eastleigh, my impression is a good shot stopper but does not command or come for balls into the box.
horlickfanclub
How long ago was Eastleigh?
Robin
March of this year.
everyman
Robin wrote:Kitscha didn't inspire confidence when he came on at Eastleigh, my impression is a good shot stopper but does not command or come for balls into the box.
Sounds like all our recent keepers !
Si Robin
Robin wrote:Kitscha didn't inspire confidence when he came on at Eastleigh, my impression is a good shot stopper but does not command or come for balls into the box.
So exactly like Russ Griffiths then.

Personally, I don't see any point in send Russ back for Jon Flatt. I don't think Flatt was any better at all. Russ needs to learn to stop pushing saves back into the danger zone and be more confident with catching a ball. Unfortunately, young keepers seem to be being taught to punch more than catch nowadays, something that appears to have come in with the wave of foreign goalkeepers.

I remember when we first got promoted Booky and Higgs would spend a good 10-15 mins practicing catching the ball before a match with one or the other crossing in from different positions. It's not been done for a while now, mainly because you don't see it as much anymore. Much easier to just fist it away and hope for the best. Sadly, Russ seems to just punch it to another attacking player.
London Exile
I think I saw recently that Flatt had signed a new contract with Wolves.
I think Griffiths is decent enough for the time being. IMO, one of the issues he faces is that he's playing behind a defensive unit which is looking a bit ropey at times. Uncertainty and a lack of confidence can be contagious but if we can get a strong CB in then hopefully that will create some calm and composure across the whole back line.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Exactly, tough for a keeper and fullbacks to focus properly when holding their breath over whether the centre backs will fall over/miss a header/slice a clearance.
horlickfanclub
I'd play Kitscha on Saturday .Now or never.