Going Down Based On That Performance

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

robinsrule
Today was my first game of the season. I have gone home more despondent than I have ever felt at this stage of the season. Without half a new team we have zero chance of staying up. Both goals were as a result of dreadful defending, especially the second one. I have never seen a player bully a defence as much as Akinde did ours - he looked like the best striker in the world today, or at least we made him look like that.

Barnet had far too much pace, skill and technique for us. It was men against boys. Only when Dayton came on did he inject a bit of pace and put in a couple of quality crosses. Waters was hardworking and effective when switching wings but had to everything alone. Our central midfield was non-existent, Wright simply does not have the pace or technique to play at this level, and Cranston was a total liability.

I am really feeling down at the moment, our tactics consisted purely of punting the ball up the field (I know this is how it has been all season). The pitch was dreadful but Barnet managed to pass it around without too much trouble. Sorry to be so negative but I just don't see how we will get out of this mess.
CTFC03
Truly woeful performance from start to finish - both goals terrible from a defensive point of view, ball hits the crossbar and within 2/3 seconds it's in the back of the net, terrible that we didn't clear that. What was even worse was towards the end of the half the ball played over the top with Parslow running back, why didn't he clear it or pass it back to Griffiths instead he decided to race Akinde who somehow missed what looked like an open goal from where I was stood.

Second half we were lucky to not be more than one goal behind, we just cannot defend anymore, we need 2 CB'S with pace and a LB, we are actually not that bad going forward it's the defending that's letting us down and if we do not replace the defence in January then we are doomed because another team today would have scored a lot more goals.
Robin
I may be swimming against the tide here but we are not that bad, it's just absolutely rank defending dragging the rest of the team down. Downes, Parslow and Cranston were so amazing bad they may as well have not been on the pitch, Akinde was given free reign to do what he wanted until Barthram marked him then he looked ordinary.

It feels horrible to say it but we are carry 3-4 players every game right now and it's dragging the rest down with them. Today Munns, Pell, Waters and Barthram did well the Storer, Wright, Dickie were ok but seemingly lacking quality the others were super poor in my eyes.
paperboy
At least listening to Gary it sounds as if we have three players already sorted for Jan 1st, having agreed to take over the contracts of a couple who are out of favour at their own clubs,plus the Guiseley lad.
Robin
5-6 players expected in January, three in for Colchester with 2-3 to follow on permanent signings but we need to wait for their clubs to sign players first. I'd guess it's Lawlor plus two loanees from Bristol City for Colchester then potentially Brian Wilson and a couple of experienced players to follow.

I just hope we have a powerful centre half in for Colchester I just can't take too much more of seeing Downes/Parslow struggling so badly.
Reliant Robin
I agree with Robin's comments.

I don't think any of our players lacked effort, but there is a lack of quality, which we know because Gary Johnson has been saying it for several weeks now and we could all see there were areas of our game where things were just not working. The problem when there are pockets of insufficient quality, it can make half decent players struggle too.

There is no doubt that all of our players have given their all, but at this level some have been caught out.

What I find abhorrent is how some of our so called 'fans' feel it is okay to start abusing our goalkeeper at the end of the game. He's suddenly become the scapegoat. As fans we have stood shoulder to shoulder with these players and suddenly some of our heroic 'fans' feel the need to be abusive to our own players????? What does that achieve? In the cold light of day maybe they will have had time to consider what a brilliant bit of "support" they gave. Or maybe their ancestors were the same people who used to attend public executions and hurl abuse at the condemned, in which case there is no hope for them.
Robin
I agree, I found the abuse of Griffiths, Downes and Cranston bizarre, they are all giving everything they are simply not good enough (some of them I mean) and we are stuck because of the changes to the loan system. It's painful to watch but no point abusing them just for not being good enough, will only make things worse.
Jerry St Clair
Reliant Robin wrote: What I find abhorrent is how some of our so called 'fans' feel it is okay to start abusing our goalkeeper at the end of the game. He's suddenly become the scapegoat. As fans we have stood shoulder to shoulder with these players and suddenly some of our heroic 'fans' feel the need to be abusive to our own players????? What does that achieve? In the cold light of day maybe they will have had time to consider what a brilliant bit of "support" they gave. Or maybe their ancestors were the same people who used to attend public executions and hurl abuse at the condemned, in which case there is no hope for them.
That stemmed from his decision to, yet again, push away an easily catchable shot into the path of an opposition player. He does this repeatedly and it's cost us goals. I think it would have been wierd if the crowd hadn't given him the bird for that and the barracking was completely warranted.

I didn't like the ironic cheers when he caught one later, though. The point had been made and it was counter-productive.
Robin
In an ideal world I feel we would potentially replace Griffiths in January as his confidence is going right now and I'm not sure Kitscha is ready. However it's unfair on him that that most of the defence playing in front of him is struggling too irrespective of some of his mistakes.
darreno
What does it say about Dan shocs if parslow is being picked ahead of him?
London Exile
I'm probably seeing things but to me it looks as though Griffiths is carrying a bit of an injury when he kicks or strikes the ball as he appears to pull up a little.
That shouldn't affect his handling but if he is struggling then perhaps there's a good chance GJ will bring in another GK?
Rulistening
Parslow, Downes, Cranston and Griffiths need to seriously be replaced. Awful every bloody time one of these 4 costs us points doing something and the most fun part is, they often combine together to do it! so you get a classic 2-3 of them combining for us to concede somehow. Its becoming a joke at this point.

The fact o'shaughnessy isnt one of/the first defender on the team sheet concerns me. No he is not the best defender in the world but he's miles better than parslow and downes.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Reliant Robin wrote: What I find abhorrent is how some of our so called 'fans' feel it is okay to start abusing our goalkeeper at the end of the game. He's suddenly become the scapegoat. As fans we have stood shoulder to shoulder with these players and suddenly some of our heroic 'fans' feel the need to be abusive to our own players????? What does that achieve? In the cold light of day maybe they will have had time to consider what a brilliant bit of "support" they gave. Or maybe their ancestors were the same people who used to attend public executions and hurl abuse at the condemned, in which case there is no hope for them.
That stemmed from his decision to, yet again, push away an easily catchable shot into the path of an opposition player. He does this repeatedly and it's cost us goals. I think it would have been wierd if the crowd hadn't given him the bird for that and the barracking was completely warranted.

I didn't like the ironic cheers when he caught one later, though. The point had been made and it was counter-productive.
I very much doubt he chose to push it to an opponent. The same way a midfielder does not choose to pass to an opponent or a striker does not choose to shoot straight at the keeper.

He is trying his best and learning. Personal abuse will not help or the team. Do you think abuse will improve a player more than training does, or convince Gary to play Kitscha instead?

It is unsavoury and unhelpful. We need to support the players, to encourage and try and boost confidence. Not abuse them. We need to be united not divided.
Si Robin
I agree abuse is going to make no difference, and I don't condone it. However, I can't agree that he's learning. If he was he wouldn't keep making the same mistake over and over again.

I have no faith in him whatsoever though, when the ball is crossed he tries to punch when it will be easier to catch, when a shot is either side of him he pushes it into danger every single time. These are things that, after 4 months as number 1, he should be eradicating from his game and they simply aren't.

He is a young keeper, and no doubt he has a big future, but he's not what we need in a relegation battle.
horlickfanclub
Sensible post Si,I agree.
Ralph
I'd get Flatty back in as keeper. He's not doing anything at Wolves. Did surprise me that he wasn't kept on this time round. We need to sign him for the longer term too. He kept us on track last season and will help get us out of the predicament we are in now.
Gary will fix it. There is no one better than him to make it happen
Robin
I'd also take Flatt, he was solid but unspectacular.
paperboy
I am just guessing but it's difficult to think that we couldn't have had Flatty in August,but GJ preferred Russ.
Again I'm in a minority but I'd stick with Russ who is undoubtedly going through a sticky patch,but what keeper doesn't.
Horteng
Flatt had big boots to fill following in from Dillon but i feel he managed ok and is streets ahead of Griffiths.

Also sure O'Shaunessy is only going to get better with a run of games and more experience etc.

Sadly Par's and Downes are only going to go one way........
Shade
I must be the only one that wasn't very impressed with Flatt. I don't think he was better than what we have.

2 decent CB's and a half decent left back (and Holman staying fit) would see us safe this season. Any more would see us rise sharply up the table.
andgarod
agree with you shade Flatt was OK but he had a defence in front of him

Didnt come for crosses and punched
Why didnt GJ simply renew because he could get better but perhaps Griffiths has lost confidence