Russell Milton

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

paperboy
Is it time for Gary to shake up his management team?
I've always thought that being the managers No 2 is the cushiest job in football.
I've never thought of Russ as being inspirational which he proved when he was over promoted previously.
Of course from Gary's perspective he's a decent choice- nice bloke,but no threat to him as there is no chance he could take over again in the unlikely event that the board decides on a change.
Controversial perhaps,could Downes replace him as player/coach?
Nesty
Only GJ can say what Milton brings to the table
I-Love-CTFC
The last time there was a shake up in the backroom staff Yates paid the price.
Robin
Not sure I follow here, why would we want to move Russ on exactly? I agree Downes may be offered a coaching role but I suspect he will prefer to drop to the conference and play regular football still.
asl
Is there any reason why Russ stands at one end of the dug-out and Gary at the other...? They barely seem to speak to each other during the match.
everyman
asl wrote:Is there any reason why Russ stands at one end of the dug-out and Gary at the other...? They barely seem to speak to each other during the match.
We always put our smallest players at the end of the wall???
horlickfanclub
At least he faces the music when we lose but our coaching must be poor with the way we set up. Pete Johnson should be given held to account for judgment.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Why the need to blame individuals all the time? Collectively the club know what is going wrong and those with the responsibility will make the changes they can, within budget, to better the results and league position.

Getting the knives out and picking a different coaching staff member to dig them into is of no use.

Let's see who the new players are, and how they, Gary, Russ, and the rest of them do in the second half of the season. We are CTFC fans, let's not forget the great player and fan spirit we had last season. I would rather maintain the positive united atmosphere and come 22nd than I would come 12th but see abuse of players, sack staff, and go to negative divided atmosphere at games.
MacRobin
Post match GJ was asked specifically if he felt there was a need for changes from a coaching perspective and it was pretty clear that in his view the answer is "no".

There's very little communication on the bench between GJ and Russ but whenever a change is being made it is done in conversation between the two - I think GJ trusts Russ so I'd be surprised if there were any shuffles there.
asl
I hasten to add, I do not think there needs to be any changes in that department - I was merely asking whether this was normal, these days (yesterday was my first match of the season, I'm ashamed to say...)