Get behind our Champions one final time

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Reliant Robin
A huge plea ...

I was sickened by the booing and abuse dished out by some of our 'supporters' in the home game against Barnet. Our Players gave their all in that game, as they have done all season.

We all understand and accept that some of the Players are not quite League 2 level, but they have done their very best and they do not deserve to be abused or booed. The vast majority of them got us back into League 2 at the first time of asking, and some of those Lads will be playing their last ever home game for Cheltenham Town on Friday v Wycombe and they deserve to be cheered, applauded, praised and have their names chanted - just like we did in May 2016. We should never forget what they did for us and we should show them our due respect and honour them, irrespective of how the game goes on Friday night against Wycombe.

Please remember, they are our Champions, and they should remain forever in our hearts and minds for that. Please cheer them all through the game, and stay to applaud them off the field at the end. We as Cheltenham fans need to show a bit of class in that respect and give the Players a proper and fitting farewell. Please don't let the Town down.
Ctfc02
I second this completely
Let's pack WR on Friday and cheer on the champs
CTFCfan99
Agree with all of this.

Think it's so pathetic booing or sarcastically cheering players throughout the game, which was happening a lot yesterday - what is that going to achieve other than further harming their confidence? Get behind them during the game and for those who do feel the need to boo them, at least save it until the final whistle.
Robin
No way should we let Munns go in my opinion but I agree I doubt many will be leaving. Perhaps Barts, Parslow, Downes, AMS or Rowe, the others surely not? GJ mentioned it would be obvious who is leaving as some are excluded now so that's Smith, Whitehead and Suliman, Arthur and maybe Griffiths will follow but none of them have performed consistently well this season.

Also how many conference clubs could afford them not many so that also limits options.
Daveangel
Reliant Robin wrote:A huge plea ...

I was sickened by the booing and abuse dished out by some of our 'supporters' in the home game against Barnet. Our Players gave their all in that game, as they have done all season.

We all understand and accept that some of the Players are not quite League 2 level, but they have done their very best and they do not deserve to be abused or booed. The vast majority of them got us back into League 2 at the first time of asking, and some of those Lads will be playing their last ever home game for Cheltenham Town on Friday v Wycombe and they deserve to be cheered, applauded, praised and have their names chanted - just like we did in May 2016. We should never forget what they did for us and we should show them our due respect and honour them, irrespective of how the game goes on Friday night against Wycombe.

Please remember, they are our Champions, and they should remain forever in our hearts and minds for that. Please cheer them all through the game, and stay to applaud them off the field at the end. We as Cheltenham fans need to show a bit of class in that respect and give the Players a proper and fitting farewell. Please don't let the Town down.
As a "squatting outsider", what a great post.

I'm sure the resident nutters will be along shortly. :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Superb post and sentiment and obviously the view of a true Cheltenham fan and football supporter, one who knows that football is about more than whether a goal keeper palms a shot away nervously.

We see Dave posting above, and I have to say that the spirit of the Gloucester fans and the effort and contribution they make to their club puts our booing abusers to shame. It is embarrassing really to see this type of abuse at the ground, and if the mindset on the terraces continues to sink to such lows decent football people will start thinking whether this really is their club anymore.
vickeryc
Totally agree. Booing is pathetic, lacks class, and will achieve nothing except erode the players' confidence even further (which I suppose may be the objective of a small minority of idiots).
London Exile
The useless bsatards of 2014/15 deserved booing and jeering but although the current team aren't cutting the mustard, they don't deserve anything other than full support. The effort is there it's just the quality we are lacking.
I'm a huge supporter of GJ but I think if anyone needs to take the heat for our current position then it's Gary for not bringing in adequate reinforcements in the summer.
WOOD 2 STONE
Agree with post, we need to get behind the team what ever happens.
However Munns in my opinion should stay along with Barts. Wright,downes,pars,cranston,Rowe, are the ones who haven't made the grade.
Ralph
London Exile wrote:The useless bsatards of 2014/15 deserved booing and jeering but although the current team aren't cutting the mustard, they don't deserve anything other than full support. The effort is there it's just the quality we are lacking.
I'm a huge supporter of GJ but I think if anyone needs to take the heat for our current position then it's Gary for not bringing in adequate reinforcements in the summer.
Agree

The kiddos that are booing need to take a long hard look at themselves.. pretty embarrassing
Robin
WOOD 2 STONE wrote:Agree with post, we need to get behind the team what ever happens.
However Munns in my opinion should stay along with Barts. Wright,downes,pars,cranston,Rowe, are the ones who haven't made the grade.
While Wright hasn't quite made the step up I do believe he will be an asset from the bench, sort of like Spencer was for us, I'd also keep Rowe and Cranston as cover and allow one of Downes/Parslow to leave along with AMS (who will struggle to make the bench if the new striker is any good).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
London Exile wrote:The useless bsatards of 2014/15 deserved booing and jeering but although the current team aren't cutting the mustard, they don't deserve anything other than full support. The effort is there it's just the quality we are lacking.
Agree

The kiddos that are booing need to take a long hard look at themselves.. pretty embarrassing
Just no idea what on earth they hope to achieve. The only possible outcomes from their behaviour are negative.
Alf
Reliant Robin wrote:A huge plea ...

Agree!
darreno
Simple answer is they are pre-pubescent idiots who think they are being clever. Or just a group of sheep led by a another sheep. The worrying thing is is that these are the future base of our supporters. Clearly the more worrying prospect.
Robin
They were not kids they were largely twenty something's and it was the group who normally get the songs going in the ground.
I-Love-CTFC
Their justification is that they pay their money so they're entitled to their opinion. None of these players deserve abuse. There's no doubt the effort is there unlike the 2014/15 squad, some of them just don't have the quality required at this level.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Their justification is that they pay their money so they're entitled to their opinion. None of these players deserve abuse. There's no doubt the effort is there unlike the 2014/15 squad, some of them just don't have the quality required at this level.
Having an opinion is different from abuse.

I think it is a false argument. If a checkout worker I am queuing at in the super market is slower and worse than the others I cannot hurl abuse at them and say I am entitled to do so because I have spent money in the shop. Nor would it be allowed at other sports or forms of entertainment/leisure.

I never understand why some people think football fans are so precious in this respect.
kora
Can I make an appeal to the boo boys; on Friday night according to GJ, our new players will be at the game as yet unsigned. Any repeat of Monday's moronic behaviour may put them off signing, therefore killing our survival chances, so please lads give it a rest and try and get our season back on track.
Reliant Robin
Unfortunately it's the same mindset of a certain group of people in the UK that think loutish behaviour is the norm these days, the same types that think it's acceptable to attack paramedics and NHS staff, the same louts that exhibit road rage at every opportunity, that same general sneering attitude that lacks any form of empathy or understanding, that same loutish behaviour that gives Brits a bad name overseas on holiday, the misguided view of their own self-importance and entitlement to "do what we want" (they even chant that phrase) because they mistakenly believe they are big enough to behave that way, but the sad thing about those types that pin their colours to a football club, is that they genuinely believe they are the more passionate 'supporters'. The key is in the word 'supporters' they cannot possibly 'support' if they abuse players, because that makes them 'abusers'. Their egos can't handle it if their team is struggling because it's a loss of face to them versus the opposing fans, so they kick out and have to find a scapegoat for their predicament. Some may be lucky enough to grow up one day.
Reliant Robin
kora wrote:Can I make an appeal to the boo boys; on Friday night according to GJ, our new players will be at the game as yet unsigned. Any repeat of Monday's moronic behaviour may put them off signing, therefore killing our survival chances, so please lads give it a rest and try and get our season back on track.
Well said kora - absolutely right.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kora wrote:Can I make an appeal to the boo boys; on Friday night according to GJ, our new players will be at the game as yet unsigned. Any repeat of Monday's moronic behaviour may put them off signing, therefore killing our survival chances, so please lads give it a rest and try and get our season back on track.
Great point and a plea all supporters (maybe not the abusers) will Echo. Let's show the potential new players, as well as Gary, PB and the current squad, that we are proper football fans who support the team and are united with the team, and do what we can to encourage the team and big up their confidence to win games.
Shade
I hope I don't see any arm throwing morons tonight. The most pathetic of football fans at any ground are the ones you see shouting and snarling and repeatedly, pointlessly, throwing their arms in the direction of who they're shouting at. They look like unevolved apes. Which, I guess, is what they are. All that's missing are the chimp noises rather than the angry tones of someone that should be in anger management.
Reliant Robin
Shade wrote: .... They look like unevolved apes. Which, I guess, is what they are ....
Hey, steady on Shade, that's a bit harsh, there's no need to insult unevolved apes. They would be far better behaved than the morons who claim to 'passionately support' our team ;)
Another_FoD_Robin
I think this may cause some arguments ..... then I do often wonder.....the people throwing the abuse.....How would they feel if their customers abused them verbally? They will come back and say they have paid so they can say what they like.... turn it around... how would you feel if your customer verbally abused you for 90 minutes or twice a week and you can't say anything back to them.... could you stomach it??
Reliant Robin
It's an interesting one FoD Robin, I have had similar discussions with a few of them on Twitter. They were polite back to me, but stuck by their belief that they pay money to see the game and therefore have the right to show their dissatisfaction because they are "passionate supporters". The sad reality is that if they were truly passionate, they would not treat the players the way they do, because they would surely understand that hurling abuse at any one player just drags the rest of the team down. And worse still, the away team capitalise on this because they know the home side's concentration is then affected. There is no better incentive for an away side than when the home fans turn on their own players, as the away team know the home side is there for the taking. If our foolhardy 'fans' think that's the way to show "passion" then they are destructively misguided, big time.
Another_FoD_Robin
I couldn't agree more Reliant Robin......I work for a Complaints department and if one of my customers or 'our' customers spoke like that then we would cease correspondence with them and only communicate in writing. They are also paying customers so are they saying I should stick the abuse.... I don't think so.... we are all human.... maybe we should abuse them in their work place.... however that is rather petty. It's a vicious circle which will never end. Got to love the fickle fan though haven't you? You there tonight?
Reliant Robin
Yep I will be there FoD behind the goal, near unfortunately where the main culprits stand. Hope they stay quiet tonight so that you and all the other decent fans can enjoy the game.