Finance.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

everyman
It`s pretty obvious that the club doesn`t have the finances to improve the squad at the moment,so what happened to the money from the EFL,and the Newcastle match,i don`t think we have bought a player yet,perhaps our representative on the board and current financial director can inform us all ?
baggy89
Some of it would have gone on the 6 minutes of 'brilliance' from tattie Cooper's lad (and the subsequent 2 months 30 days 23 hours and 54 minutes of injury treatment).
Robin
GJ says three players in for Accrington, so why are we stating that we do not have any money?
confused.com
Robin wrote:GJ says three players in for Accrington, so why are we stating that we do not have any money?
Presume one of which is Scott Brown ? I wonder if that will be our shopping done then ? If so, there is a valid debate re spending. As it would seem all we are doing is replacing those we had on loan and have subsequently released.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:It`s pretty obvious that the club doesn`t have the finances to improve the squad at the moment,so what happened to the money from the EFL,and the Newcastle match,i don`t think we have bought a player yet,perhaps our representative on the board and current financial director can inform us all ?
Do not underestimate just how much we overspent and gambled in Summer 2015 to convince Gary to stay and to build the promotion team. We mortgaged the future of the club to survive and are still paying for that now. So whilst revenue may be fine, this does not all go to the playing budget.
Artemis
And so what if the new players are replacements for those that have left? Judging from the Wycombe game, Scottie Brown will be an improvement on what we had before. The others may well be equally good improvements on their predecessors. Blimey, lets not panic or condemn them as hopeless until we at least know who they are and have seen them play some games together.
Malabus
I will be looking closely how much the board desires to see us in the FL next season.
confused.com
Artemis wrote:And so what if the new players are replacements for those that have left? Judging from the Wycombe game, Scottie Brown will be an improvement on what we had before. The others may well be equally good improvements on their predecessors. Blimey, lets not panic or condemn them as hopeless until we at least know who they are and have seen them play some games together.
having re-read the posts a few times, I can see nothing that alludes to any possible aptitude for those that may come in. The sentiment was that if we are judging our spending power, we seem to be replacing loans with loans, therefore no extra major outlay ?

I can only hope that while at Aberdeen SB was coached into dominating his box a bit more than he did with us. An excellent shot stopper, but was never 100% convinced on his over all game. I personally would rank him below JB, TC and DP. With Flatt giving him a good run for his money
horlickfanclub
The Leicester game is very important to boost the finances.
Artemis
confused.com wrote:
Artemis wrote:And so what if the new players are replacements for those that have left? Judging from the Wycombe game, Scottie Brown will be an improvement on what we had before. The others may well be equally good improvements on their predecessors. Blimey, lets not panic or condemn them as hopeless until we at least know who they are and have seen them play some games together.
having re-read the posts a few times, I can see nothing that alludes to any possible aptitude for those that may come in. The sentiment was that if we are judging our spending power, we seem to be replacing loans with loans, therefore no extra major outlay ?

I can only hope that while at Aberdeen SB was coached into dominating his box a bit more than he did with us. An excellent shot stopper, but was never 100% convinced on his over all game. I personally would rank him below JB, TC and DP. With Flatt giving him a good run for his money
I don't think that necessary follows. These new loans could be more expensive in terms of wages, loan fees, accommodation or travel costs, or other costs. Or they could be less costly. None of us know for sure. Similarly quality may be better - or worse - none of us know for until we see them play. But I expect Scott Brown's costs are higher than RG's, similarly Diego more expensive than Jonny Smith.

Scott Brown is no Butland, Higgs nor Martin Thomas, but a known quality, and judging from Friday's game and his previous stint with us, a better proposition than RG.
Robin
I agree Scotty is a reasonable league two keeper and an improvement on Griffiths who was not consistent enough to be ready for league two just yet. Also immediately you can see Manny is light years better than Suliman for example and has the pace and strong physical presence to be an improvement upon Parslow as an another example.
Si Robin
Scott Brown is in my top 3 Football League goalkeepers for Cheltenham. I'd only put Higgs definitely above him. Butland was and is class, but he only played 24 games for the club and not every performance was stellar (Southend away anyone). I then see it as a toss up between Brown and Book for 2nd and 3rd.

Carson was shockingly overrated and was only supported so much because he wore his heart on his sleeve in team full of dross. I often thought he lot a let in that he should have saved. That then leaves Russ, Will Puddy, Connor whatshisface (conceded the own goal against Dagenham) and Carl Muggleton, who Carson is obviously well above.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but you know what assholes and opinions have in common.....etc...
Robin
I think it's a fair call Si, I'd have Carson ahead of Scotty of natural ability but Scotty was a great club man and made up for it in other ways, Higgs was better than them both and Butland a once in a generationn keeper for CTFC.
Reliant Robin
Si Robin wrote:Scott Brown is in my top 3 Football League goalkeepers for Cheltenham. I'd only put Higgs definitely above him. Butland was and is class, but he only played 24 games for the club and not every performance was stellar (Southend away anyone). I then see it as a toss up between Brown and Book for 2nd and 3rd.

Carson was shockingly overrated and was only supported so much because he wore his heart on his sleeve in team full of dross. I often thought he lot a let in that he should have saved. That then leaves Russ, Will Puddy, Connor whatshisface (conceded the own goal against Dagenham) and Carl Muggleton, who Carson is obviously well above.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but you know what assholes and opinions have in common.....etc...
I agree with you Si Robin, and could never understand the hero worship for Carson, other than him being a genuine trier, whereas his team mates at the time didn't seem bothered. He definitely let in game changing goals that cost us the points which could have kept us up. I would also put Scotty in our top 3 FL 'keepers of all time ... and could possibly go higher if he comes back and keeps us in the FL !!
longmover
higher than the flying postman Kevin Maloy
I-Love-CTFC
I remember Carson stopping us from being hammered on a number of occasions. Remember he did have the likes of CBB, Troy Brown and Matt Taylor playing in front of him. Brown, Butland and Higgs had considerably better defences ahead of them.
paperboy
horlickfanclub wrote:The Leicester game is very important to boost the finances.
Yes the prize money would pay for a good calibre player for the rest of the season,but with our current league position we are an extremely unattractive choice.
Anyone half decent would want to join a club that he could be pretty sure was going to still be in league two and thus be able to offer a decent contract for next season.

I'm slightly baffled by how the playing budget was used up on simply rewarding last seasons players (and management I guess ) with a pay rise given the increase in the league payments to us.

I know we have to carry a bigger squad this season due to the changes in the loan system, but I can't see any of our current squad of youngsters,loanees and journeymen being on huge salaries.
andgarod
In spite of asking these questions much earlier in the season and being told to wind my neck in we are still none the wiser
Ask questions at the shareholders meeting - of course they dont answer the questions and anyway its 12 months out of date

How did what should have been a profitable season 2015/2016 turn into a lose making one
We made everyone full time ( fair enough) we paid everyone bonuses and then gave them all a pay rise ( but I assume most of that was in 2016/17 season
The Robins trust money ( Brian Jacobs) is still in the bank we are told
New directors ( income from them £300K - dont think so)

Have the debts owed gone down
Paying agents fees etc

Of course we have money but then we are told by others on here we dont

I know that at least one benefactor was turned down and will not now contibute

We will go whith what we have at the poundland shop
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
andgarod wrote:In spite of asking these questions much earlier in the season and being told to wind my neck in we are still none the wiser
Ask questions at the shareholders meeting - of course they dont answer the questions and anyway its 12 months out of date

How did what should have been a profitable season 2015/2016 turn into a lose making one
We made everyone full time ( fair enough) we paid everyone bonuses and then gave them all a pay rise ( but I assume most of that was in 2016/17 season

Paying agents fees etc

We were a Conference side paying League wages. You don't think Gary would have dropped to non-league without a decent wage (maybe even higher than his first spell in L2) or the likes of Pell, Dayton and Holman would join when clubs like Eastleigh and FGR throw money around? Even if last season it was funded by loans or using reserves, it has to be paid back this season and next (hence eagerness for another year of destructive groundshare).

I for one am glad the Board pushed the boat out to get us up. It is what it is. Let's support Gary and when he keeps us up look forward to what squad he can build in the next two years. L1 in 2020 anyone?
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
andgarod wrote:In spite of asking these questions much earlier in the season and being told to wind my neck in we are still none the wiser

Paying agents fees etc

We were a Conference side paying League wages. You don't think Gary would have dropped to non-league without a decent wage (maybe even higher than his first spell in L2) or the likes of Pell, Dayton and Holman would join when clubs like Eastleigh and FGR throw money around? Even if last season it was funded by loans or using reserves, it has to be paid back this season and next (hence eagerness for another year of destructive groundshare).

I for one am glad the Board pushed the boat out to get us up. It is what it is. Let's support Gary and when he keeps us up look forward to what squad he can build in the next two years. L1 in 2020 anyone?
Not wishing to speak for Andy, but I think the point he is making is that nobody has any idea, if the boat was pushed out and if it was, to what extent it was pushed out. You seem to have the knowledge that the expenditure was such that it will take two years to get us back on an even keel. If that is the case, so be it. However I note from GJ comments that any further additions will not be loans, it will be CTFC buying out existing contracts. That being the case, thee does seem to be a few spare bob in the coffers (?)
Time will tell I suppose
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Paying agents fees etc

Not wishing to speak for Andy, but I think the point he is making is that nobody has any idea, if the boat was pushed out and if it was, to what extent it was pushed out. You seem to have the knowledge that the expenditure was such that it will take two years to get us back on an even keel. If that is the case, so be it. However I note from GJ comments that any further additions will not be loans, it will be CTFC buying out existing contracts. That being the case, thee does seem to be a few spare bob in the coffers (?)
Time will tell I suppose
In all honesty I have no idea - just peddling some strong assertions to counter equally strong and uninformed assertions from the opposing view.

Like you say, who knows!
confused.com
tosh :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RCS, King of Tosh.
London Exile
I'd certainly rather our finances than Morecambe's at present.
PMG which runs the 3G pitch next to the ground and their community section has gone into administration. I think PMG is owned by the club owner Diego Lemos who hasn't been heard of since before Christmas!

I can't see anything about the football club being in danger of going into administration just yet but the silence from the owner doesn't bode well. I feel sorry for their fans with all the uncertainty hanging over them, but if they were to face a points deduction that would help us (as horrible as it sounds)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
#docktenpoints
Beentheredonethat
12 points I think!
Robin
Morecambe look a sure bet for relegation on home crowds about half of ours and huge off the field issues.
Shade
Transfer embargo as well so they won't be strengthening as it stands.