We may not have a match today...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
...but two ex-players were name-checked on Fighting Talk on 5Live this morning: Grant McCann (twice) and 'one to watch this afternoon', Byron Harrison.

Oh, and they played the commentary of Radford's tap-in, again...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Play to his strengths and give him confidence and Byron is a good striker. Another victim of our hoof ball and boo boys.
Reliant Robin
I was gutted to see Byron leave, as he had the ability to be one of the best goal scorers we'd had at CTFC and he'd been deservedly voted our player of the year in the previous season. Byron suffered badly from lack of service and as RCS rightly says the "hoof ball" to a target man style of play didn't suit him, but there was never any doubt that if the ball was played in through the 6 yard box, Byron was going to get on the end of it and he invariably scored. The boo boys got the better of him in the end because his lack of goals were perceived as being lack of effort, but in reality he had poor supply from his team mates.
Si Robin
I don't think it was a lack of goals it was his demeanour. I'm not saying he was lazy, but he looked lazy and unfortunately when it looks like you're not putting the effort in fans will invariably get on your back.
Nesty
three of the bottom four are losing - good news for us
paperboy
Si Robin wrote:I don't think it was a lack of goals it was his demeanour. I'm not saying he was lazy, but he looked lazy and unfortunately when it looks like you're not putting the effort in fans will invariably get on your back.
Agree totally.

My favourite Byron moment was when he volleyed a near post cross into the net at The Prestbury Road end and the crowd erupted-all except the moaning old git who'd been slagging him off from the very start.He stood there stoney faced.

Who would fans prefer Danny who tries his heart out or Bryon who lounged around until there was a chance of a goal.?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:
Si Robin wrote:I don't think it was a lack of goals it was his demeanour. I'm not saying he was lazy, but he looked lazy and unfortunately when it looks like you're not putting the effort in fans will invariably get on your back.
Agree totally.

My favourite Byron moment was when he volleyed a near post cross into the net at The Prestbury Road end and the crowd erupted-all except the moaning old git who'd been slagging him off from the very start.He stood there stoney faced.

Who would fans prefer Danny who tries his heart out or Bryon who lounged around until there was a chance of a goal.?
Depends which one created or scored the most goals.
Del Boy
It's funny how supporters tend to prefer players with less talent that charge around endlessly to those who have more talent and conserve their energy until it's needed.

If you have a team that isn't good enough but tries hard you won't have much of a chance of winning. If you have a team that is good enough but only tries half the time you'll have a chance of winning half the time.

Yet it's the team of triers most supporters would prefer.
art vandalay
That's because they show the same passion as fans, set standards and bring out the best in others. Non-triers are just a bunch of tarts who create divisions in the camp and ensure that the team never actually play as a 'team'.