How many players do we need now?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Out of curiosity how many players do we feel we need to sign and in what positions?

For me:
1) Keeper is a must now we sent Griffiths back. This seems to be Scott Brown and it should be sorted this week.
2) Experienced and ideally powerful defender
3) Combative central midfielder
4) Target man
5) Wing back/winger

I make that five players we still need this window with three hopefully in this week, anyone agree disagree?
Del Boy
Where I would disagree is that these are what we need - what we get will be very different I would guess.
Robin
I must admit I'm not so convinced we will get a target man given we have five strikers already now, unless of course one were to leave.
Shade
I wouldn't be so bothered about another striker, we need someone to get chances to the strikers we already have. Stick the ball on Wright's head 8 yards out and he'll score more often than not, but how many times has he had that service this season? Have the ball drop to Billy in the area and 70% of the time he'll score, but we're not getting the ball into good areas enough.

If we're going to go after any striker ahead of other positions, it should be a fast one that can beat a man or two, but you ain't gonna find one of them coming here unless we take a punt on a non-leaguer.
Robin
The problem is both ways Shade so many times this season the ball has gone up to Wright and he's not been able to hold the ball to bring others into play, same for Waters/Holman too they are often isolated. While I agree we need to create more chances if the ball doesn't stick when it comes forward it won't be enough. For example Wright was superb when he came on against Colchester because he could bully tired defenders but he has not been able to do that consistently all season.
Shade
Yeah, but part of what I'm saying is we need players that won't just pump the ball up to Wright. A couple of midfelders that will take the ball on, pass it around, so Wright doesn't even touch it until he's nodding it into the net. One or two fully fit and firing Dayton's...
Hubert Parry
Brown confirmed.