Register    Login    Search    FAQ



CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY




 Page 2 of 2 [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2



Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Cheltenham Town v Leicester City
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017, 10:17 
Offline

Joined: 09 Aug 2015, 10:09
Posts: 416
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Ok then confused, is it a coincidence that Cbb, Jennings and Cranston are the boo-boys favourite target whilst dickie, bartram et al are seen As gods gift?

It's a familiar refrain at whaddon road and you've fallen in to the trap. Thank god our manager doesn't listen to the idiots on here


Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Cheltenham Town v Leicester City
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017, 10:23 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 11:29
Posts: 2697
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I agree with Ben, to an extent.

Look at posts from last season and there were loads saying how George had to improve, or George is getting better as the season goes on but is he the weak link, etc...

I've said it before that, Jamie Victory and Alan Wright aside (arguably Luke Garbutt), our left-backs seem to be scrutinised more than any other position. They can't all have been awful (CBB was).


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cheltenham Town v Leicester City
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017, 11:21 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:20
Posts: 855
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Ben2 wrote:
Ok then confused, is it a coincidence that Cbb, Jennings and Cranston are the boo-boys favourite target whilst dickie, bartram et al are seen As gods gift?

It's a familiar refrain at whaddon road and you've fallen in to the trap. Thank god our manager doesn't listen to the idiots on here

CBB was just shite.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cheltenham Town v Leicester City
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017, 11:39 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 22:10
Posts: 1366
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
We ask a hell of a lot of our 'overlapping' full backs. Good attacking full backs are a rare commodity, especially in the lower leagues and particularly those who are left footed. It's especially important for the wide midfielders to cover the full backs when they get forward. And that doesn't always happen, so the full backs can get pulled out of position.

Man Utd have tried to turn left and right sided midfielders into overlapping defenders, Valencia and Ashley Young spring to mind. Luke Shaw is a specialist left sided attacking full back who gets criticised by fans at Old Trafford. They are difficult positions to fill.

If you are lucky enough to find a really decent attacking full back who can defend well and get upfield to support the strikers, you won't hang on to them for very long.

Cranston is doing okay in my books, we should all get behind him. Once our defence starts to look stronger, he will benefit more than anyone.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cheltenham Town v Leicester City
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017, 11:59 
Offline

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 13:55
Posts: 563
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Left back is one of the hardest positions to play.
How often does a RB come up against a genuinely talented left footed LM, LW or LWB?
How often will a LB come up against a genuinely talented right footed RM, RW or RWB?
How often will a LB be playing alongside a left footed CB?
How often will a LB be playing alongside a genuinely left footed and talented LM or LW.
This is why so often CDM's are also RB's but rarely if ever LB's.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cheltenham Town v Leicester City
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017, 12:08 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 8009
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
baggy89 wrote:
Left back is one of the hardest positions to play.
How often does a RB come up against a genuinely talented left footed LM, LW or LWB?
How often will a LB come up against a genuinely talented right footed RM, RW or RWB?
How often will a LB be playing alongside a left footed CB?
How often will a LB be playing alongside a genuinely left footed and talented LM or LW.
This is why so often CDM's are also RB's but rarely if ever LB's.


Indeed, this is why LB's or LWB's can't afford to switch off positionally and let players get the jump on them. If they're up against the more talented players they can't afford to give them a headstart as well, which our LB often does.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cheltenham Town v Leicester City
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017, 12:09 
Offline

Joined: 04 Oct 2012, 08:16
Posts: 2045
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Ben2 wrote:
Ok then confused, is it a coincidence that Cbb, Jennings and Cranston are the boo-boys favourite target whilst dickie, bartram et al are seen As gods gift?

It's a familiar refrain at whaddon road and you've fallen in to the trap. Thank god our manager doesn't listen to the idiots on here


No coincidence at all Ben -
CBB was v poor and presumed that was generally agreed by most.
Jennings - the fact he was shipped out so fast speaks for itself (maybe , just maybe GJ had the same opinion ?)
JC - I have explained why I believe he is not pulling his weight i.e. he does not defend very well, loses his man too often, switches off too often, lets the man run around him too often.
Dickie - recalled by his club and yes I do believe is of a good L2 standard at the minute.
Bartram - imo not God's gift, but puts in a decent shift and impressed me with the way he nullified Akinde.
Surely the players that are most exposed and open to criticism are #9 and goal keeper ? I just think that it is a weak argument to that he is judged harshly because he plays one half in front of the i2p


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cheltenham Town v Leicester City
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017, 12:21 
Offline

Joined: 04 Oct 2012, 08:16
Posts: 2045
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Si Robin wrote:
I agree with Ben, to an extent.

Look at posts from last season and there were loads saying how George had to improve, or George is getting better as the season goes on but is he the weak link, etc...

I've said it before that, Jamie Victory and Alan Wright aside (arguably Luke Garbutt), our left-backs seem to be scrutinised more than any other position. They can't all have been awful (CBB was).


I thought George did mainly OK last year and was sorry to see him go. As you say, he started to grow into the role. What concerns me with JC is that he started off in much improved form, but is reverting back to last seasons weaknesses. This says to me, he is able to do it, but for some reason he isn't.

Also agree that it is a pointless exercise comparing what we have with what we used to have, would be as useless as comparing Downes with Duff. However, someone has to be among the weak links and I believe JC is one of them and have tried to explain why I believe this, rather than just call him poor. As has been said, a fb can never allow himself to lose his player , especially to let him easily get goal side. This happened at least twice on Tuesday, one led to a goal, the other we escaped because the player could not get on the end of the cross. There were at least 3 other occasions that the attacker ran round JC. I take the view he needs to improve his technique and his concentration.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cheltenham Town v Leicester City
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017, 12:24 
Offline

Joined: 04 Oct 2012, 08:16
Posts: 2045
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Shade wrote:
baggy89 wrote:
Left back is one of the hardest positions to play.
How often does a RB come up against a genuinely talented left footed LM, LW or LWB?
How often will a LB come up against a genuinely talented right footed RM, RW or RWB?
How often will a LB be playing alongside a left footed CB?
How often will a LB be playing alongside a genuinely left footed and talented LM or LW.
This is why so often CDM's are also RB's but rarely if ever LB's.


Indeed, this is why LB's or LWB's can't afford to switch off positionally and let players get the jump on them. If they're up against the more talented players they can't afford to give them a headstart as well, which our LB often does.


Also just because you are playing against a talented right footed player, does not explain why he gets goal side so often. Just as easy to get goal side of a RB as it is a LB.


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 2 of 2 [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2




Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Ralph, Robin and 6 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: