Cheltenham Town v Accrington Stanley

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/AMSYork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/ch ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I-Love-CTFC
Newport 1-0 Colchester
I-Love-CTFC
Newport 1-1 Colchester
I-Love-CTFC
A thrilling first half. The pitch really starting to show it's wear and tear.
art vandalay
A steady first half, most of the new signings have done ok and we've knocked it around well at times on a shocking pitch, but almost nothing has happened in either box. I'm hoping we'll look more dangerous in the second.
I-Love-CTFC
Ben2 wrote:Danny Wright is rubbish though. I wonder whether sacking him is too good for him - can't we hang him?
You're getting boring now Ben, you moron.
I-Love-CTFC
Wright answering his critics. Scott Brown sent off for Accrington! Never a red for me.
I-Love-CTFC
Does the official twitter feed actually watch the game? They tweeted it was a Rowe cross for Wright's goal when it was O'Shaughnessy.
ctfc-fan
Radio Glos said it was a Cranston cross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I-Love-CTFC
ctfc-fan wrote:Radio Glos said it was a Cranston cross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They need to go to Specsavers!
I-Love-CTFC
De Girolamo! 2-0! Bizarre pass back from Accrington.
I-Love-CTFC
Waters! 3-0! The flood gates are open.
I-Love-CTFC
Impressed with the new lads Pike and Winchester. I thought Rowe was excellent too.
Another_FoD_Robin
On the red Brown's studs were up from my view. Yes a deliberate foul but angle your foot down and it would have maybe been a yellow...
confused.com
I-Love-CTFC wrote:
Ben2 wrote:Danny Wright is rubbish though. I wonder whether sacking him is too good for him - can't we hang him?
It's all he knows, bless him
confused.com
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Impressed with the new lads Pike and Winchester. I thought Rowe was excellent too.
Agree, thought Pike looked solid enough and Winchester looked like he always wanted the ball and when he had in, made a lot of time for himself. Looks a good addition. Boyle also won most of his contests. Defence looks a lot tighter now. Still a few dodgy momenTs with SB, hopefully just ring rusty
Last edited by confused.com on 14 Jan 2017, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
Nesty
a great win, lets build on this and ensure we stay where we belong. Well done lads
paperboy
confused.com wrote:
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Impressed with the new lads Pike and Winchester. I thought Rowe was excellent too.
Agree, thought Pike looked solid enough and Winchester looked like he always wanted the ball and when he had in, made a lot of time for himself. Looks a good addition. Boyle also won most of his contests. Defence looks a lot tighter now. Still a few dodgy momenTs with SB, hopefully just ring rusty
With six new players I wouldn't have expected Scotty to have been the shakiest.
......Or have we all been remembering him through rose tinted glasses?
Shade
Thought Manny was the weakest of the new boys, but only because he wanted to smack the ball forward with his first touch every single time. Very impressed with Winchester, his turn of pace was a surprise when chasing back and his winning of the ball was fantastic. You can tell he's got class by the amount of time he seemed to get on the ball in advanced areas.
art vandalay
Great to get 3 points. Accrington looked poor and for the first hour when it was 11v11 I thought we were better but without posing much of a threat around goal. We certainly exploited the extra space afterwards. The red card was a very poor decision - it was a standard yellow card where a defender intentionally takes a player out, but there was no malice and he didn't go in studs first or anything. A bit of controversy for our second as well, but I thought it was a backpass and their keeper had enough time to kick it clear.

Good to see Rowe get MOM. I'd have released him in the summer, so it's great to be proven wrong. As far as the new 6 go, it was the the first time I'd seen 5 of them, so I'll offer some initial thoughts:

Brown - Most disappointing of the 6. He was under little pressure but managed to spill a shot straight at him in the first half, flapped at a cross in the second and looked unsure on crosses generally.

Pike - Encouraging start. Tidy going forward, covered a lot of ground, didn't hide defensively, but we sometimes looked exposed when he was caught too far forward. Definitely a wing-back or full-back IMO, not a centre-half.

Onariase - Looked a bit clumsy at times and his distribution (on a truly awful surface - please give us our pitch back) was poor, but I thought he looked pretty solid defensively, which is where it counts.

Boyle - Good debut, looked solid.

Winchester - Covered a lot of ground, competitive and comfortable on the ball, but maybe went for the killer pass a bit too often. Clumsy challenge gave them a free-kick from which they hit the bar and missed a sitter.

De Girolamo - Good to see him score when so many of those chances go straight into the mass of players. Looked lively but I thought it was often a case of style over substance and he needed to hang onto the ball more. Can't complain about his strike rate though and hopefully there's more of him to see.

Great start but I guess next week will show how well everyone stands up under pressure.
theidlerich
:) Well done CTFC squad; hopefully a turn round. Thought, as others, that Pike and Winchester were a cut above the rest; looked very useful; and oddly agreed with the MoM too [not often that happens]. Good first goal from DW, unfortunately he missed a couple of sitters at the end; wish Waters would look up and pass when in or near the box. First half we didn't look like scoring; second half we ought to have scored 5 or 6! Looked like a fair red from the In2P [level] and for once a decent team of officials. Drove home smiling for once! Truly awful pitch - may cost us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good to hear the reviews of the performance and new players. Sad to hear the pitch is gone.
Benctfc
There was no way it was a red it was a standard yellow you usually get when a player stops an opponent when running in behind. Thought all the new signings did well thought especially the 3 CB's were solid. Dan O's was my motm brilliant defending as well as a fantastic assist for the opening goal. Plymouth should be a good test next week but its vital we keep winning at home. As for the pitch its and embarrassment and a disgrace worse I have ever seen it.
Reliant Robin
The pitch has given us 9 goals since it has "gone" and only 1 against.

Let's make the most of it ;)
Jon Palmer
Full recap, with fan and action gallery, video reaction from Gary Johnson and Danny Wright and video clips of the goals can all be found here: http://bit.ly/HomeAccrington" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
westernshore
Totally agree about O'Shaugh easy being a possible man of the match. I think he is under-appreciated by many of the fans on here.
4 goals so far r this season and 2 assists if I remember correctly, which makes him one of our top scorers and he is a centre-half.
I'm not bad
Ralph
confused.com wrote:
I-Love-CTFC wrote:
It's all he knows, bless him
everyones entitled to an opinion, just like you are
westernshore
Ino my opinion not bad for a cenrre-half. Answer name O'Shaughnessy,sorry for the typos
Shade
I thought everyone played well. Be interesting to see if Pell comes in for Rowe next week. I would make thatchange as, as good as Rowe was in the first, he qent AWOL a little in the second half, imo. I do fear we may ship a few goals next week but confident that we can score a few now as well, especially with another week and game for the new voys to integrate and get to know each others games.

I'm bot picking on him but still think we need a better left back. It was obvious Accrington were targeting that right wing once the figured out they weren't getting joy down the other wing but were down there.
Robin
My ratings as follows:
Brown - Didn't have much to do but his kicking is still poor and I can't help but feel Griffiths would have been slaughtered for the catch he somehow parried into the centre of the goal (6)
Pike - I like Barts but Pike did well today, good pace a and strength, got forward well in the second half and solid through out (7)
O'Shoggers - this kid is getting back to his best now, has a little bit of pace, great throw in, cracking left boot and gets stuck in (7)
Boyle - certainly up for the physical fight and had Kee in his pocket all game (7)
Manny - Seemed to be nervous on his proper home debut, some rash distribution and let the ball bounce a couple of times (6)
Cranston - hard to judge, I'm still not convinced he's up to it in league two and I'm not sure he contributes enough but given he wasn't overly tested today he did OK (6)
Rowe - Had a cracking game in the middle of the park, great touch control and vision with his passing (7.5)
Winchester - Wow he just looked a yard sharper than any other player on the pitch, can dribble and just has time on the ball to pick a pass, very impressed on his debut (8)
Waters - Absolutely full of running and effort today, and could beat his man (7)
Wright - I could write the same comment for both strikers in that it was a mixed performance, at times frustrating but both worked hard and took their goals very well (6.5)
Diego - See Wright but Diego getting caught off side a lot in the first half inparticular (6.5)

Subs:
Storer - he's a squad player now but didn't impress when he came on either (6)
Dayton - Some energy and keen to take players on (6.5)
Munns - Superb passing when he came on and got stuck in too, I wish he'd start more games like this, there is a quality player there (7)

Overall I though it was unforgettable for sixty minutes, we took a deserved lead then got a huge slice of luck when the ref wrongly sent off Scott Brown, from then on we played with confidence and hammered a poor Accrington team. Cautious optimism can be taken because we have three very tough games coming up, if you offered me a win over Bradford, a draw at home to Plymouth and a defeat at Luton I would take it now.
Jerry St Clair
Wasn't at all surprised with the drab first half. Our players seemed to be getting to know each other, and Accy seemed to be happy to keep it tight and unspectacular. The sending off was a shame because we really started to get the upper hand, and I actually think we'd have gone on and won comfortably against 11.

Oh, and the "backpass". The incredulous Accy players and bench need to read the laws of the game:
Laws of the game wrote: A goalkeeper is not permitted to touch the ball with his hand inside his own penalty area in the following circumstances:

- touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate.
Absolutely no shadow of a doubt that the defender deliberately kicked it to him and the ref was right to award a free kick. Overall, good stuff. Plymouth should be a belter
London Exile
The performance today was much more like the robins of last season. I thought we controlled the game and the recent additions of Boyle, Winchester and Pike look, albeit after one game, to be strong ones. I was impressed by Diego's strength as well but in fairness everybody played well today.

Hopefully after a couple of decent results with this 'new' group of players we can start to build a bit of momentum and move up the table.
Fingers crossed Liverpool stretch Plymouth in midweek and we see more of the same from our lads next week
longmover
Just read the stanley forum and they said their keeper was being introduced to the outfiled players for the first time in the warm up :shock:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:Just read the stanley forum and they said their keeper was being introduced to the outfiled players for the first time in the warm up :shock:
Like I said in the other thread, we played them at the perfect time. He will be a top keeper for them. But not good enough to keep them in the League.