One more signing still to come

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
According to GJ interview one more player to come in on loan and he's done unless another permanent player becomes available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpAPVKY ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surely it's a target man or defensive midfielder.
Shade
Or left back or winger

;)
CTFCfan99
Should have enough defenders and midfielders especially now that Hall is almost good to go. Expect it to be a winger or target man.
baggy89
Wes Burns recalled* by Brizzle, from season long loan at Aberdeen.

Conflicting stories at the minute.
Reliant Robin
However many more we still have got coming in, or not, as the case may be, I think the Board deserve a mention and much praise along with Gary and Pete and Russ too, for the speed of this rebuild and how promising all these new Players look.

Maybe the doom and gloom merchants on this Forum and the small number of boo boys on the Terrace who always predictably and quickly press the panic button, now realise that we are very lucky indeed to have the Management and Board we've got at Cheltenham Town FC.
confused.com
The doom and gloom have got what they have been calling out for, fresh faces who should be able to compete at L2. So not sure what your point is
Shade
Reliant Robin wrote:However many more we still have got coming in, or not, as the case may be, I think the Board deserve a mention and much praise along with Gary and Pete and Russ too, for the speed of this rebuild and how promising all these new Players look.

Maybe the doom and gloom merchants on this Forum and the small number of boo boys on the Terrace who always predictably and quickly press the panic button, now realise that we are very lucky indeed to have the Management and Board we've got at Cheltenham Town FC.
Whereas I'm all for that, maybe we should wait to see if we start winning games first :P
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:The doom and gloom have got what they have been calling out for, fresh faces who should be able to compete at L2. So not sure what your point is
The point is we all knew that if the Champions could not do it they would be moved on and replaced, with new faces bought in to see us safe and build a competitive League side.

Had we signed 5 in the summer, they may have been in positions where Champions excelled, and would have been redundant signings, and we would still have needed to sign the five players we have. This way we have had half a season to identify where we need to strengthen, in order to target limited resources at priority areas.

So, the point is - whilst the doom and gloom brigade were questioning the manager and worrying about relegation, the rest of us had faith the squad would be strengthened in the window and then we'd pull away from the bottom two. Let's hope we are proved right on the latter half of that too.
Reliant Robin
confused.com wrote:The doom and gloom have got what they have been calling out for, fresh faces who should be able to compete at L2. So not sure what your point is
The point quite clearly is, that some fans went into complete panic mode, booing players, calling for the managers head, creating a bad atmosphere at games etc and all because our Manager gave our Champions the chance in The Football League he promised. He has been as good as his word right the way through and was straight with everyone saying if certain players were not able to step up he would rebuild in January. I was surprised there were people who doubted him.

Yes, it is still early days with these new players who still need to properly bed in, but I saw enough on Tuesday night to see that there is a very good blend taking shape and I have always had absolute faith in Gary Johnson.
Reliant Robin
Well said RCS, we're obviously on the same track :)
Robin
GJ seems to prefer a 5-3-2 so I am not convinced we'll sign a winger but I may be proven wrong, he also seems to rate Cranston so I'm not convinced we'll sign a left back. He did mention that we may go back in for Dickie at the end of the month so that could be the other option but Pike signing makes me feel Dickie will go to another league two club instead.
confused.com
Understand now, being 23rd in January was part of the master plan. Obviously some of us did not get that memo!! Forgetting about the morons who boo. I think fans have every right to be vocal when half way thru the season we are propping up the table. Not one soul was calling for the head of GJ, just questioning what on earth was going on!
I don't buy into RCS view that it was such a wizard idea to just bring in bench warmers (apart for Dickie and Griffiths) during the summer. All for saying to last year's heroes, well here you are as promised L2 players. Now prove to me you are good enough for a starting place. In my mind all we have shown is that the money spent in the summer has by and large been wasted. Where are they all now?? Fans have every right to complain when we win 4 games in 24. In other clubs it would have been much louder. It is only due to the respect GJ and the team earned last year that it wasn't. The alternative that you seem to advocate, is to stay quiet, accept the mess and be a Mr McCawber. That's why I don't see your point. People wanted action and said so and action was taken. Others said nothing and action was taken. Sometimes you just have to stand up and say the emperor is naked!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Understand now, being 23rd in January was part of the master plan. Obviously some of us did not get that memo!! Forgetting about the morons who boo. I think fans have every right to be vocal when half way thru the season we are propping up the table. Not one soul was calling for the head of GJ, just questioning what on earth was going on!
I don't buy into RCS view that it was such a wizard idea to just bring in bench warmers (apart for Dickie and Griffiths) during the summer. All for saying to last year's heroes, well here you are as promised L2 players. Now prove to me you are good enough for a starting place. In my mind all we have shown is that the money spent in the summer has by and large been wasted. Where are they all now?? Fans have every right to complain when we win 4 games in 24. In other clubs it would have been much louder. It is only due to the respect GJ and the team earned last year that it wasn't. The alternative that you seem to advocate, is to stay quiet, accept the mess and be a Mr McCawber. That's why I don't see your point. People wanted action and said so and action was taken. Others said nothing and action was taken. Sometimes you just have to stand up and say the emperor is naked!!
The plan was to keep the Champions together until January and identify if and where the need to strengthen was, regardless of whether we were 1st, 12th, or 24th. That was always GJ's plan and whether fans criticised or not made no difference. I was already stood by the wardrobe whilst the naked Emperor walked over to get his clothes whilst you were telling he was naked.

There is no mess to accept.
confused.com
So RCS, under that theory if we were 12 adrift at the bottom, still job well done? Really?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:So RCS, under that theory if we were 12 adrift at the bottom, still job well done? Really?
The completeness and quality of the job could not be judged until May. If we overturned the 12 points following the January window with a squad ready to kick on in 2017-18 then yes job done. If we could not claw it back I would be dissapointed that so many of the Champions were unable to affect L2 games from August to January, and question the quality of the loans/signings made in the Summer by GJ but still be proud he gave the Champions the opportunity each and every one of them fought for.
Another_FoD_Robin
Confused..... I am getting the feeling lately that you aren't allowed a different view unless the 'hierarchy' agree with you. Personally I feel you should be allowed your opinion without people trying to belittle you. On brighter news, looks like Gary has recruited well thus far in the window. Let's hope our form picks up which I am quietly confident it will. Also good news GJ doesn't wish to send anyone else out this window. Five months to get our season back on track. Let's get behind the lads and push ourselves away from the drop zone!
confused.com
RCS, glad you are not a surgeon..... let us wait and see if the patient dies. We can always do a post mortm
confused.com
FOD, only time will tell on the signings I guess, but am pleased at the age and experience of our two perm signings. And hopefully they will all make the difference we badly need
Reliant Robin
confused.com wrote:...... Not one soul was calling for the head of GJ ...
Agree (with Another FoD Robin) that everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect that; however, there was a "Johnson Out" Twitter account that became active in December and there were some Forum threads about how much longer should he get.
confused.com wrote:
..... All for saying to last year's heroes, well here you are as promised L2 players. Now prove to me you are good enough for a starting place...... It is only due to the respect GJ and the team earned last year .....
Who in the starting 11's did you think were not worth a place? Who should have been in the starting 11's instead? How long would you have given them to prove they were good enough or not? What would you have done differently, bearing in mind you have agreed they had earned the respect from the previous season to have a chance, and League rules prevented any possibility of making squad changes until January (unless you sign out of contract/discarded players)? Just interested in your opinion.

NB: Blowing the budget too early with a very large squad in August on the assumption the squad may not have been up to it, would have meant the 2015/16 squad not getting their chance, or the players brought in not getting games and no money to rebuild in January.
Last edited by Reliant Robin on 12 Jan 2017, 20:42, edited 2 times in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:RCS, glad you are not a surgeon..... let us wait and see if the patient dies. We can always do a post mortm
Incomparable situation.

I think of it this way, to continue your analogy:

In the summer a patient who has recovered from a knee injury has begun running again, and the physio and I think the best course of action is to step up exercise for a few months to see if the knee can cope and get stronger. By November it is clear the knee is not coping and at risk of breaking down again in the spring if no action is taken. There is no available date for operating until January, so the patient rests during December before going under the knife. It is only a minor operation and the patient is soon up and running and going from strength to strength and performing well in the spring.

Of course I am unhappy and frustrated with the first half of the season, just as much as you are. The only difference in our opinion seems to be I have been looking positively forward to the January window and solving the problem whilst you have been looking negatively backward to the August window looking for blame.
Another_FoD_Robin
Come on guys let's just let it lie now, we all know how it will all end. As I have said we are entitled to our opinions. Let's try and be adults as a lot of us on this forum are and stick together for the remainder of the season. We have judged GJ & his choices for the first half of the season. Let's now see what the second half brings and make our decision on GJs signings, substitutions, tactics, & starting XI's in the second week of May.

RR I believe the Twitter account was set up by the same people who set up a fake CTFC Twitter saying GJ had resigned after the Wycombe game... If so I believe they maybe GC fans. Also people were asking how long has he got as results weren't good. People have been sacked for less Kevin Nolan at Leyton Orient, Rowett at Birmingham, I could go on....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another_FoD_Robin wrote:Come on guys let's just let it lie now, we all know how it will all end. As I have said we are entitled to our opinions. Let's try and be adults as a lot of us on this forum are and stick together for the remainder of the season. We have judged GJ & his choices for the first half of the season. Let's now see what the second half brings and make our decision on GJs signings, substitutions, tactics, & starting XI's in the second week of May.
Completely agree. Thanks for bringing some sense.
confused.com
RR, very happy to report I have no interaction with social media of any sort. The fact some nobody can set up an account and say anything they want is bad enough. I would hope most sane people would take such utterances with a pinch of salt.
Who would I have dropped? No idea, as none of those on the bench were any better than last year's team. If we had a stronger bench in August, I may have been able to suggest a few. But it would have been obvious to all if we had stronger players on the bench.
Blowing the budget on a big squad, quite agree. However what I suggested was that we should have brought in better, not more.
I doubt we will ever agree on anything. I think we should have looked to get the strength we SEEM to have brought in now, in August and had a stronger squad. Surely last year's lads are man enough to fight for their place on the pitch. Not in the squad but in the starting 11? I would like to think any professional would like to think they were being selected on ability and not sympathy?
That's me done on the discussion
longmover
Another_FoD_Robin wrote:Come on guys let's just let it lie now, we all know how it will all end. As I have said we are entitled to our opinions. Let's try and be adults as a lot of us on this forum are and stick together for the remainder of the season. We have judged GJ & his choices for the first half of the season. Let's now see what the second half brings and make our decision on GJs signings, substitutions, tactics, & starting XI's in the second week of May.

RR I believe the Twitter account was set up by the same people who set up a fake CTFC Twitter saying GJ had resigned after the Wycombe game... If so I believe they maybe GC fans. Also people were asking how long has he got as results weren't good. People have been sacked for less Kevin Nolan at Leyton Orient, Rowett at Birmingham, I could go on....
Well said
confused.com
RCS, in the summer I would have bought the guy a pair of crutches just in case he needed a bit of help :)
When discussing a current problem, of course you have to look back at the causes of itm you know that only too well and often do they same when debating economic plight and inequalities (I would suggest)?
Here endeth this month's lesson
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:RCS, in the summer I would have bought the guy a pair of crutches just in case he needed a bit of help :)
When discussing a current problem, of course you have to look back at the causes of itm you know that only too well and often do they same when debating economic plight and inequalities (I would suggest)?
Here endeth this month's lesson
Very true. Though it seems most politicians don't learn from past mistakes or solutions, otherwise 2008 and Lehman would not have happened. Let's hope January's bailout of CTFC works a lot better than the last six years bailout of the UK financial sector!

Here is to the next 20 games or so. COYR.
confused.com
Agree
FOD_Wyman_2010
It was difficult for anyone to foresee how many of the champs would step up. The likes of Parslow who was outstanding last year really struggled this year which will have surprised most. On the other hand, Billy who was in and out of the team last year has flourished so there really is no formula to judge if a player can step up to the league. Gary kept his word and gave everyone a chance. Imagine if we had got rid of them all and they had gone onto play in League one or higher? Everyone would have been saying why didn't our heroes get a chance and make the club some money?

Gary has now made the changes and I would be very surprised if the likes of Boyle, Winchester and Diego didn't make a huge impact.

We will get fees for Billy and Pell in the future I would imagine so keeping them has been a real bonus.

We must now back the manager and new group to ensure we retain our league status and can push on next year.
confused.com
LMAO!!! Close down the forum until end of season, no more stupid match predictions threads! No commenting on players until you have seen them play an entire season!
Sorted
everyman
Robin wrote:According to GJ interview one more player to come in on loan and he's done unless another permanent player becomes available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpAPVKY ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My underground source tells me it could be Courtney Duffos (the missing club in Gary`s bag) TaylorMade in Cheltenham ?
Reliant Robin
confused.com wrote:LMAO!!! Close down the forum until end of season, no more stupid match predictions threads! No commenting on players until you have seen them play an entire season!
Sorted
But isn't that just another over-reaction confused.com ?

Read the advice of Ben2 above, as I think he has nailed it.
Robin
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:It was difficult for anyone to foresee how many of the champs would step up. The likes of Parslow who was outstanding last year really struggled this year which will have surprised most. On the other hand, Billy who was in and out of the team last year has flourished so there really is no formula to judge if a player can step up to the league. Gary kept his word and gave everyone a chance. Imagine if we had got rid of them all and they had gone onto play in League one or higher? Everyone would have been saying why didn't our heroes get a chance and make the club some money?

Gary has now made the changes and I would be very surprised if the likes of Boyle, Winchester and Diego didn't make a huge impact.

We will get fees for Billy and Pell in the future I would imagine so keeping them has been a real bonus.

We must now back the manager and new group to ensure we retain our league status and can push on next year.
You see I disagree here Parslow had struggled at this level before as had 3-4 others, while you would hope some of them would now make it I'd argue it was unrealistic they all would. Look at the last time we won the conference Dale Watkins and Boka Freeman both struggled to make the step up and were quickly moved back to non-league.
Reliant Robin
everyman wrote:
Robin wrote:According to GJ interview one more player to come in on loan and he's done unless another permanent player becomes available:

My underground source tells me it could be Courtney Duffos (the missing club in Gary`s bag) TaylorMade in Cheltenham ?
Love it.

everyman and his dog knows the "underground" source is 'The Mole' ;)
horlickfanclub
I hope everyman is right.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Robin wrote:
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:It was difficult for anyone to foresee how many of the champs would step up. The likes of Parslow who was outstanding last year really struggled this year which will have surprised most. On the other hand, Billy who was in and out of the team last year has flourished so there really is no formula to judge if a player can step up to the league. Gary kept his word and gave everyone a chance. Imagine if we had got rid of them all and they had gone onto play in League one or higher? Everyone would have been saying why didn't our heroes get a chance and make the club some money?

You see I disagree here Parslow had struggled at this level before as had 3-4 others, while you would hope some of them would now make it I'd argue it was unrealistic they all would. Look at the last time we won the conference Dale Watkins and Boka Freeman both struggled to make the step up and were quickly moved back to non-league.
No that's a fair point Robin. If players have struggled before at the level then it does add an element of doubt. I was so impressed with Pars last year though that I was hoping his game had come on enough to cope. What has really magnified the issue this year is that you can't loan players throughout the season. In previous seasons, You could give them all 10 games to see how they are and then loan the ones that sink out and get them replaced. This year you are committed for half a season at a time so the winners win big and the losers lose big.