Form required to retain league status.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Six wins will be achieved.
CTFCfan99
Form tables make for decent viewing at the moment. We're 6th over the past six games and 10th over the past ten games, while the majority of our rivals are towards the bottom of both tables.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFCfan99 wrote:Form tables make for decent viewing at the moment. We're 6th over the past six games and 10th over the past ten games, while the majority of our rivals are towards the bottom of both tables.
Which is why those with less jerking knees have been cofident of safety over the last month.

Maybe the Standard will run a feature?
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Maybe the Standard will run a feature?
Crikes, the last instalment seemed to be a direct attack on the club - where did that come from!
confused.com
Malabus wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Maybe the Standard will run a feature?
Crikes, the last instalment seemed to be a direct attack on the club - where did that come from!
may read it the next time before I put the kindling on it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Five down five to go.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Thought I would update this now that we have played half of those 22 games stated at the beginning of this thread.

The form has been:

P11 W5 D3 L3 Points = 18.

If the same form were to be repeated in the final 11 games then we would end up on 57 points.

Even if you look rather pessimistically at our remaining fixtures we are still likely to get over the 50 point mark.

Doncaster vs Cheltenham L
Exeter City vs Cheltenham D
Cheltenham vs Cambridge D
Barnet vs Cheltenham L
Cheltenham vs Morecambe W
Wycombe vs Cheltenham L
Crawley vs Cheltenham D
Cheltenham vs Grimsby Town W
Blackpool vs Cheltenham L
Cheltenham vs Hartlepool W
Portsmouth vs Cheltenham L

That would still be 51 points.

While it is not done and some may not even be looking over their shoulders anymore, it is certainly looking better and January really was a pivotal month recruitment wise. 7 points however is not an unbridgeable gap so we must remain focused and on our toes.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Six down four to go.
robinsrule
We are absolutely not safe yet! Only two more home games out of six and Newport have better recent form than us. Could still go down to the wire.
London Exile
We are only 4 points behind Morecambe and Crawley so hopefully those 2 might yet become embroiled in the relegation scrap. The more teams involved the better. As long as we survive I don't care who goes down but Newport tend to bring a few away fans and its closeish so if we could both survive then that would be good
vickeryc
London Exile wrote:We are only 4 points behind Morecambe and Crawley so hopefully those 2 might yet become embroiled in the relegation scrap. The more teams involved the better. As long as we survive I don't care who goes down but Newport tend to bring a few away fans and its closeish so if we could both survive then that would be good
I think you meant Yeovil. Crawley are on 48 points.
London Exile
vickeryc wrote:
London Exile wrote:We are only 4 points behind Morecambe and Crawley so hopefully those 2 might yet become embroiled in the relegation scrap. The more teams involved the better. As long as we survive I don't care who goes down but Newport tend to bring a few away fans and its closeish so if we could both survive then that would be good
I think you meant Yeovil. Crawley are on 48 points.
Cheers Vickery, I'm a bit giddy after today's performance :oops:
Robin
Newport won't over take a ten game gap with six games left, they would need to win at least four games for that to realistically happen.
confused.com
Robin wrote:Newport won't over take a ten game gap with six games left, they would need to win at least four games for that to realistically happen.
pessimistic me wont rest happily until the arithmetic says we are safe. They dont NEED to win 4 they need to do better than us by 6 points (depending on goal difference)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
Robin wrote:Newport won't over take a ten game gap with six games left, they would need to win at least four games for that to realistically happen.
pessimistic me wont rest happily until the arithmetic says we are safe. They dont NEED to win 4 they need to do better than us by 6 points (depending on goal difference)
And if they do that, we just need to match Hartlepool.
Robin
confused.com wrote:
My response was about Morecambe and Yeovil not being safe despite a ten point gap with six games to go and both Hartlepool and ourselves sandwiched between. For either to be relegated they would need to lose all six in my opinion and other results go against them.
confused.com
Robin wrote:
confused.com wrote:
My response was about Morecambe and Yeovil not being safe despite a ten point gap with six games to go and both Hartlepool and ourselves sandwiched between. For either to be relegated they would need to lose all six in my opinion and other results go against them.
noted with thanks
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
confused.com wrote:
And if they do that, we just need to match Hartlepool.
Fully agree, it is still at the if's and but's stage
Robin
For what it's worth I would say Orient are as a good as dead and buried, even winning four of their last six is very unlikely to save them. They probably need five wins now and two of Newport/Hartlepool/Ourselves to implode.

Next week could be decisive, Newport travel to play off chasing Exeter, Pools have their easiest remaining game at out of form Morecambe and we face mid-table Wycombe. If Newport lose and us and Pools both win I'd argue it's realistically all over.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Orient are down. I suspect the owners are already flogging apartments off plan in Singapore ready for liquidating Orient next year when they get to bulldoze Brisbane Rd and develop the site.
leohoenig
Barry Hearn owns the ground. He only sold the football club
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wonder if he going to take them over again for free with no debt when they reform a few tiers down.

Either that or he'll build some tacky venue or more flats.
robinrobin
couple more wins and job done
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Seven down (I think).

Be very surprised if we achieve the 10 wins predicted in January. But we have to get at least the eighth at home to Hartlepool.
Robin
We could be safe this time next week, only way we go down now is if we fail to win another game for the remainder of the season and Newport/Hartlepool hit form. Eight points from the last twelve and should have been ten if it were not for Cranston getting sent off.
Ralph
Newport and Pools both losing
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Don't know why any doomer gloomers ever though Newport would get three points at Plymouth.
darreno
Beat Hartlepool and we're safe, simple as (provided Orient do us a favour)
Robin
It's because this forum has been hit with over the top hysteria and doom mongering over the past couple of months. If results stay as they are now Newport have to win two of their final three (big ask) and hope we fail to win another game if they are to over take us, which means of course we lose to Hartlepool.

I have a sneaking suspicion a draw at Blackpool next week will see us confirmed as safe.
Ralph
Robin wrote:It's because this forum has been hit with over the top hysteria and doom mongering over the past couple of months.

I have a sneaking suspicion a draw at Blackpool next week will see us confirmed as safe.
. Yep agree
FOD_Wyman_2010
So down to two games left. The permutations appear to be:

CTFC win - happy days.
CTFC draw - happy days.

But if CTFC were to come unstuck Saturday then we have three possible outcomes based upon the result in Newport's game at Carlisle.

Newport defeat:

21 CTFC 47
22 Hartlepool 46
23 Newport 45

Newport draw:

21 CTFC 47
22 Hartlepool 46
23 Newport 46

Newport win:

21 Newport 48
22 CTFC 47
23 Hartlepool 46

Its difficult to model the goal difference until the games have actually been played but hopefully that will be irrelevant information as we will get the job done before it all needs working out.

Sky Bet currently have the relegation odds as:

Hartlepool - 1/5
Newport - 7/2
Cheltenham - 16/1.

This is based around the odds for the games on Saturday which are:

Cheltenham - 21/20 Draw - 12/5 Hartlepool - 13/5
Carlisle - 23/20 Draw - 5/2 Newport County - 9/4

Its certainly getting interesting but lets not give anyone a sniff by taking it to the final day. No defensive formations or playing for a 0-0. Lets take control of our own destiny and play to win.

Regardless of the manager change, this Hartlepool side have lost to Orient and Barnet, we have the pitch in our favour and now is the time to put this season to bed.
Shade
Newport will win on Saturday. It's basically do or die between us and Hartlepool on Saturday. We win or draw and Hartlepool are down. We lose and we're in the s#!t because I can see Hartlepool then getting something against Donnie at home with a few extra fans in the stands and us getting hammered at Pompey.

But I have faith we will get the job done on Saturday. And I will be praying to whatever God that might listen every night until it is done.
Robin
I don't see Newport going all the way up to Carlisle and winning, I think they will lose myself and it will come to them or Pools on the last day.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Don't care about Newport.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Eight down.

Won't make the ten wins, but came close!