One more to come - and others could be leaving...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

James from the Echo
Gary Johnson still wants one more new face in January, and admits that others may leave - if they ask for first-team football.

Also, GJ on contracts for the existing players on the staff:

http://bit.ly/GJMoreTransfers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who are the candidates to go, to get first-team football?
confused.com
Pretty sure Gary will tell us when its done
Artemis
So, to start the debate that RCS craves on these threads, I'd wager the ones who might want to be playing are Munnsie, Barts (and maybe Dayton)
asl
If any of them *don't* want to be playing, I think the decision on who should go is pretty damned straightforward.
andgarod
a while back there was discussion about who should go
Some have gone others have not
Some who havent have suddenly started being MoM others who were 1st name on the sheet are getting splinters from the sub bench

Just trust GJ to sort it thats what hes paid for
Robin
If it were the end of the season Storer may be one to be released but I'd like to keep him for now and believe he can make the step up on last seasons form.
I-Love-CTFC
Bristol Rovers are getting rid of a few, including our former keeper Will Puddy. Jermaine Easter and Mark McChrystal would be worth a look.
http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/art ... 27258.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
We tried to sign Easter years ago but given his age I'm far from convinced he's what we need now.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting. Not sure who I would identify to leave. Downes and Storer the obvious ones, and maybe Munns, but they are all good to have in the matchday squad.

Don't forget, some might leave for a fee. Billy might get snapped up by a bigger club. FGR or Lincoln (cup money) might offer us cash for a Conference Champion like Storer or Wright.

As for coming in. Surely Wes Burns.
paperboy
...Linked to us

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/so ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't look like a big target man but.....
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Interesting. Not sure who I would identify to leave. Downes and Storer the obvious ones, and maybe Munns, but they are all good to have in the matchday squad.

Don't forget, some might leave for a fee. Billy might get snapped up by a bigger club. FGR or Lincoln (cup money) might offer us cash for a Conference Champion like Storer or Wright.

The Wes Burns who signed for Fleetwood today?
andgarod
Robin wrote:If it were the end of the season Storer may be one to be released but I'd like to keep him for now and believe he can make the step up on last seasons form.
Come on Robin you havent managed to get Wright out so now you try and justify Storer
Cannot get in the Checktrade team so little chance of him getting 1st team football unless we have a number of injuries and suspensions

Didnt step up, suspect attitude and a long term injury. He brought some of this on himself, let himself down but in the matches he has played this season he was sent off and taken off before sent off. Perhaps due to frustration but on the edge of a red card the whole time as he hasnt been able to step up. Let him go there is better in the club already and also out there
Robin
Find me one post where I have suggested selling Wright, I haven't because I believe he can a good asset from the squad and competition. He's just not good enough to be the main target man now playing every week, perhaps that will change over time though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Interesting. Not sure who I would identify to leave. Downes and Storer the obvious ones, and maybe Munns, but they are all good to have in the matchday squad.

The Wes Burns who signed for Fleetwood today?
Missed that - needed Nesty to post a list of signings.
everyman
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Bristol Rovers are getting rid of a few, including our former keeper Will Puddy. Jermaine Easter and Mark McChrystal would be worth a look.
http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/art ... 27258.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would suggest that non of those are what we require.
horlickfanclub
If Rovers get a few injuries Clarke may have to backtrack on this.
Reliant Robin
Sometimes I think people don't actually see what Dan Wright does in a game?

A perfect example of this was "Gabriel" who wrote about the Accrington game last week, saying that Wrighty had been "marked out of the game" by the Accrington centre halves, the same centre halves I might add, that Wrighty rose majestically above, between the pair of them, to loop in one of the best headed goals I have seen this season - and "Gabriel" didn't even mention it ;)

He's often got two defenders on him, which frees up space for our other attackers, but we've rarely capitalised on this. Wrighty's work rate is phenomenal for a big lad and he's so important at set pieces defending as well as attacking. I think his contribution will improve now that we have players with more quality around him, which may adapt better to his strengths.
Robin
Feel you have them rose tinted blinkers on when you look at Wrighty Reliant. Undoubtedly he works extremely hard, that can not be denied however he is often out jumped by opposition defenders, wins so few flick ons and those he does rarely hit a CTFC player, his touch and decision making is also slightly below the standard of others at this level. That doesn't make him an awful player - the great Neil Grayson also had some of those faults - but it's clear he needs competition at the very least.
horlickfanclub
I agree with Reliant Robin a proper appraisal with no mixed metaphors. What are rose tinted blinkers Robin?
confused.com
RR, that guy made it clear that he was referring to the first have when he made those comments on Wright, you know that.
If we had needed the two easy ones he missed in the same match, I fear his press may have been a tad harsher.
There is no doubt that the ploughs a lonely furrow and no doubt about the effort he puts in and no doubt about the lack of quality service. All that agreed, his second touch is often a tackle. Has a lack of speed and clever foot work. I don't think that is being unkind, just a reality
Robin
Well said Confused, it seems highlighting Wrighty's faults/areas of improvements is not allowed by some.
darreno
We know what his weaknesses are (and we can see his strengths when the ball is put in the right area) but whatever anyone thinks it doesn't look like DW is going anywhere this season (unless the Mole knows any different) so we should support him and the rest of the team.
confused.com
darreno wrote:We know what his weaknesses are (and we can see his strengths when the ball is put in the right area) but whatever anyone thinks it doesn't look like DW is going anywhere this season (unless the Mole knows any different) so we should support him and the rest of the team.
certainly don't want him to go anywhere at all, especially as we can not bring in a similar but better player.
Reliant Robin
confused.com wrote:RR, that guy made it clear that he was referring to the first have when he made those comments on Wright, you know that.
If we had needed the two easy ones he missed in the same match, I fear his press may have been a tad harsher.
There is no doubt that the ploughs a lonely furrow and no doubt about the effort he puts in and no doubt about the lack of quality service. All that agreed, his second touch is often a tackle. Has a lack of speed and clever foot work. I don't think that is being unkind, just a reality
I know what he said confused.com ... but I didn't believe him. His report covered the whole game (read it again and you'll see), and he failed to mention Dan Wright's goal anywhere in that report, and the only mention of Dan in the whole report was that he was "marked out of the game". Blatantly biased, or a lack of acknowledgement for a superbly taken goal?
Another_FoD_Robin
Surely if DW was winning every flick on with them going to a CTFC player every time, and his decision making was spot on, then he would be playing a higher standard than League Two?

Don't you feel if there was a better more affordable option GJ and PJ would have gone after him? I have no problems with DW. I think he's doing a good job considering a lot of the time he has had to play on his own either due to the system or his partner has dropped deep....

I notice certain people will knock DW but there are times on Tuesday for example Diego didn't get up for a header or a flick on because he didn't seem to want to get clattered but nobody mentioned that. Yet if DW doesn't do it then he's criticised and people say he's not League Two material.

Also it's a learning curve it's his first season in the Football League.... he can't get away with as much.... Playing in the League is different than watching it and being coached. You learn with experience. Not just being told and what he sees. He's not going to be a world beater after less than 35 games!
confused.com
RR, you pointed that out to the guy on the thread he opened. He clarified in response to your comment that it pertained to the first half. I have read it and his piece is obviously split in two halves. If you choose not to believe him that is up to yourself. Just because he supports anothe team does not make him a liar! DW is the best we have and best we can afford. That does not make him beyong reproach