massive

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
Saturday could be make or break........ its massive

while we are taking on bottom club Newport our fellow strugglers mostly have hard games

Exeter vs Crewe
Accrington vs Notts County is a 6 pointer (ideally a draw please)
Orient vs Carlisls
Hartlepool vs Yeovil
Doncaster vs Morecambe

there is a 4 point gap between 16th Crawley and 17th Morecambe

a win for us though and defeat for our rivals (apart from Accy vs Notts C a draw please) would see us 17th

come on!!!
Robin
Just my opinion but I would be very surprised if either Yeovil or Morecambe go down. I'd also be surprised if we go down, win tomorrow and we well on course to survive, lose and it becomes very tight though.
THECHOIRBOY
I am not sure that if we did lose the game it would exactly be "break" with 17 games of the season left and us likely to still be above the dotted line whatever happens!
Hubert Parry
The problem with football fans generally is that they inflate the importance of every football match to the extent where a loss becomes a catastrophe worthy of a backlash against the players and management. We could win today and end up relegated. We could lose today and end up mid table. Not in this thread, but I'm sick of reading "must win" ahead of every nominally significant match throughout the season. It really isn't at this stage.
Nesty
I see your point but when we have games against fellow strugglers to me they are significant
Oldun
If anyone has a spare hour or two the Morecombe forum is worth a read. You will need the mind of an Oxford Don to comprehend any of it but there must be every chance that Morecombe will slide into administration or worse! That's if they can work out who their owner is to issue the paper work to at the appropriate moment!
Artemis
A funny old thing, football and fans reactions to results. For the first time in a while after a game, I had a spring in my step on Wednesday morning, for no other reason than we'd defied expectations and won at Kenilworth Road and against 11 men (OK, with maybe a bit of help from the ref, but these things balance out). It didn't mean we're safe; if we'd lost, we'd not be doomed either.

The only example I can think of of a 'must win' from a footballing success or failure perspective are the games towards the back end of the season, when failure to win would mean mean a "can't finish higher than" maximum position. The Doomsday scenario is when that position is 23rd. Frustrating, but far less of an impact, 8th and 4th in this division.

Whilst all games are significant towards our finishing place, our run of games against teams around us in the table take on a greater significance - because its points the opposition can't get (the classic "six pointer"). So win today, that's three points we have that Newport can't get. Thus increasing our chances of finishing above them (probably not by much, but an increase none the less - I can't be bothered to work it out). But none of them fall into the "must win otherwise we're doomed" category - whatever the result today, the season's outcome is not guaranteed.

We might not win but we won't lose today....I'm confident of that.
Nesty
3 points gained now is as important as 3 points on the last day of the season, even though (to some) the significance is not so great it seems
Oldun
Then as well as Morecombe, Orient don't look too healthy. See BBC football league 2 section this morning!
Shade
Agreed Nesty, every 3 points is the same, whether it's game 28 or game 46, especially when it's a winnable game. Yes, it's not the end of the world if we don't win today, but it's massive if we win. Which is what the thread is titled. One of those reasons it's massive if we win is because we will finally have back to back wins and real momentum going into another 6 pointer next week. The squad needs confidence and belief and beating teams like Newport is massive for that.
Ralph
Oldun wrote:Then as well as Morecombe, Orient don't look too healthy. See BBC football league 2 section this morning!
was it 2 seasons ago Orient were in the playoff final to try and make the Championship?
Oldun
The stories surrounding both these teams re awful If a fan of either it must be heart breaking to watch helplessly from the side. The "tragedy" that is Morecombe is unbelievable. On a daily basis there are claims and counter claims of ownership, of deals, of money being available etc. Unfortunately for the employees especially none of it bears any fruit in terms of money actually being put into the club's coffers and again, as in November, the players have not been paid. It is incredible that they are still in existence to play today; next week's home match looks a different proposition at the moment. We don't want to lose the three points we won there though!
Nesty
Morecambe and Orient both winning ...Crewe losing
Nesty
come on Cheltenham
Nesty
Crawley winning.
Nesty
Orient now drawing
Nesty
sounds as dull as dishwater at WR given the low number of updates by JP
Nesty
why do the feeds get posted 3 times ??
Nesty
the pitch looks dreadful
Nesty
Accrington winning
Nesty
coco the Brown just spilled a shot.
Jerry St Clair
Newport fans obviously thought it was a big game. Very impressive numbers from them. Vocal and supportive.
Shade
Their reaction to scoring an injury time equaliser was pretty comical. Literally couldn't have celebrated anymore if they'd just been confirmed Champions. And I was in the car stuck in the traffic on Prestbury Road behind some utter morons with the windows down, drummer drumming in the back, driver kept chanting and giving hand gestures at passers-by who obviously hadn't been to the match (couple of parents with their young kids on trikes, couple of 14/15yr old girls wandering along). He was only some over-excited scrawny pleb, some other kid gave him a mouthful as he crossed the road but I was waiting for him to shout something at the wrong person and get himself in trouble. I can't imagine any of our fans getting that excited over a last minute draw that leaves us rooted to the bottom of the table. But, when you're from Newport, I guess you'd celebrate just getting out of the place for a few hours.
longmover
You're being a bit harsh regarding their celebrations, they're fighting for their lives and a last minute equalizer against a relegation rival (away) is massive, any teams fans in that situation would have celebrated like that.

We wold have never taken 1000 there either.