'For what ever reason'

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
Seems to be Gary Johnson's stock phrase for admiting he got it wrong without admiting he got it wrong, next tme lets not wait till the 40th minute while two down to change things eh Gary.
Oldun
Why is it that Gay got it wrong. The same formation worked wonders at Luton. Could it not have been that the players got it wrong in that they did not deliver the performance we all wanted to see?
There again it gives the "Gary beaters" a new lease of life. They had all been feeling a bit down after the two draws and the win.
Del Boy
Personally I've been feeling a bit down all season after six wins from 30 games. If the manager is not to blame for this awful season with continued dross served up who is??
horlickfanclub
One up was pathetic too start with. Gary Johnson wanted strikers all season and does not use them. Negative thinking will take us down. In the post match interview the Manager admitted that we were better in the second half when we took the game to Notts County. Simple answer then Gary.Pick a team to take the game to the opposition from the start.
longmover
Oldun wrote:Why is it that Gay got it wrong. The same formation worked wonders at Luton. Could it not have been that the players got it wrong in that they did not deliver the performance we all wanted to see?
There again it gives the "Gary beaters" a new lease of life. They had all been feeling a bit down after the two draws and the win.
Playing one up front against a relegation rival with the worst defense in the league, you could see their defensive frailties in the last ten when Chelt were applying pressure, so why not set up attacking their weakness? Nolan must have been grinning from ear to eat having seen our formation.

Yes it worked agaiinst Luton but we werent playing Luton were we.

#PLAYBARTS
Another_FoD_Robin
He should have attacked County from the start and then if it wasn't working then change it.....You stay up by winning matches not sitting back and allowing a fellow relegation rival come at you. How some fans who believe Gary didn't get it wrong is beyond me. I accept the 11 players out there need to do a job but at the same time we need a manager who is positive thinking. Time and time again people slate DW for his flick ons reaching nobody. However Wooton was the same..... I accept people will claim 'But Wooton was on his own up there....'. However he still have his team mates bursting forward to support him but he didn't have that.

Busy players like Barts, Munns, Holman, Waters & even Dayts would have caused them no end of problems. However GJ doesn't seem to see nor agree with that.
confused.com
Oldun: very very very lazy argument that, oh here come the boo boys again.
Just to clear things up for us all, what has been good about THIS season?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It has been good to see our Champions get their FL chance. And been good to see Gary use January to start building the squad to see us challenge at the top of L2 during the next two or three years.
Alf
Another_FoD_Robin wrote:He should have attacked County from the start and then if it wasn't working then change it.....You stay up by winning matches not sitting back and allowing a fellow relegation rival come at you. How some fans who believe Gary didn't get it wrong is beyond me. I accept the 11 players out there need to do a job but at the same time we need a manager who is positive thinking. Time and time again people slate DW for his flick ons reaching nobody. However Wooton was the same..... I accept people will claim 'But Wooton was on his own up there....'. However he still have his team mates bursting forward to support him but he didn't have that.

Busy players like Barts, Munns, Holman, Waters & even Dayts would have caused them no end of problems. However GJ doesn't seem to see nor agree with that.
This, of course, is with the benefit of hindsight which would make us all great managers. If we had attacked County from the start and conceded goals Gary would have been criticised for being gung ho with his tactical selection. If his formation had worked he would have been hailed as a tactical genius. He picks what he thinks is right and as it turned out, it wasn't. It will be a learning curve for him as well.
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:It has been good to see our Champions get their FL chance. And been good to see Gary use January to start building the squad to see us challenge at the top of L2 during the next two or three years.
Do you really believe this??? He signed stacks of players in the summer (mostly on loan) and none of them were any good. The star signing had been loaned out within weeks. All this giving the players a chance in the league is complete nonsense and just another excuse for the manager's dreadful performance this season. As for challenging at the top of league two - I wouldn't keep many of the current squad so I hope he has a lot more success this summer.
I-Love-CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:It has been good to see our Champions get their FL chance. And been good to see Gary use January to start building the squad to see us challenge at the top of L2 during the next two or three years.
RCS you don't half talk a load of b0llocks.
Robin
I haven't read all the comments but I am a huge supporter of GJ and believe he is the man to lead us back to league one and hopefully stabilise the club in the third tier. Yesterday as soon as I saw the team sheet I thought that looks wrong. I was unhappy at his decision to drop Holman and Barts especially. I didn't go to Luton but the team looked like they didn't know what they were supposed to be doing, Cranston was poor, Winchester was absolutely wasted on the right wing, Davis showed intent but was isolated, big Kyle was being dominated and had little support. Notts were not even very good but clearly motivated while we just didn't look at it, I think they scored from their only two shots in the first half yet we didn't even have a meaningful strike and our tactic seemed to be hoof it left and cross it in the box (Cranston was poor here - also poor for their first).

To Gary's credit he changed it early and fair play to him for that, in my view Cranston should have come off, Winchester in the centre and Davis to left back though. I feel like yesterday was three points dropped because GJ got his tactics very wrong, in contrast to the Luton game, no hiding from that.
confused.com
when I have a minute I will look through your start of season posts and see if those were indeed your lofty expectations
confused.com
Alf wrote:
Another_FoD_Robin wrote:He should have attacked County from the start and then if it wasn't working then change it.....You stay up by winning matches not sitting back and allowing a fellow relegation rival come at you. How some fans who believe Gary didn't get it wrong is beyond me. I accept the 11 players out there need to do a job but at the same time we need a manager who is positive thinking. Time and time again people slate DW for his flick ons reaching nobody. However Wooton was the same..... I accept people will claim 'But Wooton was on his own up there....'. However he still have his team mates bursting forward to support him but he didn't have that.

This, of course, is with the benefit of hindsight which would make us all great managers. If we had attacked County from the start and conceded goals Gary would have been criticised for being gung ho with his tactical selection. If his formation had worked he would have been hailed as a tactical genius. He picks what he thinks is right and as it turned out, it wasn't. It will be a learning curve for him as well.
Would have been nice to get it right more than 6 times so far !
confused.com
Robin wrote:I haven't read all the comments but I am a huge supporter of GJ and believe he is the man to lead us back to league one and hopefully stabilise the club in the third tier. Yesterday as soon as I saw the team sheet I thought that looks wrong. I was unhappy at his decision to drop Holman and Barts especially. I didn't go to Luton but the team looked like they didn't know what they were supposed to be doing, Cranston was poor, Winchester was absolutely wasted on the right wing, Davis showed intent but was isolated, big Kyle was being dominated and had little support. Notts were not even very good but clearly motivated while we just didn't look at it, I think they scored from their only two shots in the first half yet we didn't even have a meaningful strike and our tactic seemed to be hoof it left and cross it in the box (Cranston was poor here - also poor for their first).

To Gary's credit he changed it early and fair play to him for that, in my view Cranston should have come off, Winchester in the centre and Davis to left back though. I feel like yesterday was three points dropped because GJ got his tactics very wrong, in contrast to the Luton game, no hiding from that.
IMHO with our innate ability to defend crosses and corners, I would be so bold as to suggest that sitting back and soaking up the pressure id perhaps not our best ploy. For such tactics to work we need our best players in midfield where they belong
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
Do you really believe this??? He signed stacks of players in the summer (mostly on loan) and none of them were any good. The star signing had been loaned out within weeks. All this giving the players a chance in the league is complete nonsense and just another excuse for the manager's dreadful performance this season. As for challenging at the top of league two - I wouldn't keep many of the current squad so I hope he has a lot more success this summer.
The question was asked if anyone thinks anything good happened.

I thought it was good to see the likes of Stoz, Wright, Munns, etc make their league debuts. Performances and results were dire but I was not commenting on that. Equally, I was not commenting on summer recruitment as that argument has been done to death, I was merely saying building the team in January was good to see.

I know results have been awful and the season a poor struggle. The question was asked if anything about this season has been good, and regardless of the dreadful points return I personally believe the things I mentioned were good because I enjoyed seeing them.

Or are you trying to police what fans can and cannot enjoy about following their side?
drgm
'For whatever reason' translates as 'I haven't a clue why'
If by some stroke of fortune, namely Leyton Orient and Newport simply being too poor to avoid the drop, we manage
to avoid relegation then I would be saying 'thanks but no thanks' to Gary at the end of the season
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
when I have a minute I will look through your start of season posts and see if those were indeed your lofty expectations
I will save you the bother. My expectations were for a promotion/play off push. To say these expectations have not been met is an understatement.

I don't even know what the argument here is. I completely agree with you that this season has been rubbish and the players who started the season quickly proven to not be good enough. So we agree there. You asked for people to tell if anything has been good about this season, and I answered honestly with two things I have enjoyed about this season.
Robin
confused.com wrote:
Robin wrote:I haven't read all the comments but I am a huge supporter of GJ and believe he is the man to lead us back to league one and hopefully stabilise the club in the third tier. Yesterday as soon as I saw the team sheet I thought that looks wrong. I was unhappy at his decision to drop Holman and Barts especially. I didn't go to Luton but the team looked like they didn't know what they were supposed to be doing, Cranston was poor, Winchester was absolutely wasted on the right wing, Davis showed intent but was isolated, big Kyle was being dominated and had little support. Notts were not even very good but clearly motivated while we just didn't look at it, I think they scored from their only two shots in the first half yet we didn't even have a meaningful strike and our tactic seemed to be hoof it left and cross it in the box (Cranston was poor here - also poor for their first).

IMHO with our innate ability to defend crosses and corners, I would be so bold as to suggest that sitting back and soaking up the pressure id perhaps not our best ploy. For such tactics to work we need our best players in midfield where they belong
I would agree with you there Confused, County were nothing special and the sort of team we could comfortably beat if we played to our potential. Yet we seem to almost try and give them as much confidence as possible.
Another_FoD_Robin
Alf wrote:

My views aren't based on hindsight, thanks though. I am speaking how I felt when I first saw the starting 11 at just gone half two. Even if we had won I would have believed he set up negatively. I would have rather him of gone gun ho as you say against the leakiest defence in the league then to change it, rather than to start defensively & then go all out attack trying to grab something.

So no sorry but my views aren't hindsight. I also apologise I cannot conform to people believing GJ was right yesterday. It's what happens now that counts not what he did for us in the past. I greatly appreciate him getting us up at the first attempt with a brand new squad as that's some feat, however we need to concentrate on our current predicament, as thats the future, and the future of our Football Club!
longmover
Robin wrote: To Gary's credit he changed it early and fair play to him for that, in my view Cranston should have come off, Winchester in the centre and Davis to left back though. I feel like yesterday was three points dropped because GJ got his tactics very wrong, in contrast to the Luton game, no hiding from that.
40 minutes in was too late, you could see after 10 mins it wasnt working.
Robin
drgm wrote:'For whatever reason' translates as 'I haven't a clue why'
If by some stroke of fortune, namely Leyton Orient and Newport simply being too poor to avoid the drop, we manage
to avoid relegation then I would be saying 'thanks but no thanks' to Gary at the end of the season
You are kidding right? We are having a bad season for sure but we have a manager with a proven track record of doing well at smaller clubs (Yeovil to Championship, Bristol City one game from Premiership), he knows the club and should be given at least one more year to get us challenging towards the top of this league.
Ralph
Robin wrote:
You are kidding right? We are having a bad season for sure but we have a manager with a proven track record of doing well at smaller clubs (Yeovil to Championship, Bristol City one game from Premiership), he knows the club and should be given at least one more year to get us challenging towards the top of this league.
Agree 100% with Robin
confused.com
Robin wrote:
Robin, I think all that those of us who are a tad worried our saying, is that it would be very heartening if the proven track record could kick in soon. Dont think my nerves could take another year of scraping around the bottom. We need to start winning regularly, stating the obvious I know, but it will be gold cup before we know it
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
You think we'll last til Gold Cup without relegation being confirmed? You rose tinted delusionist.
Nesty
I hope you dont mean GOULD cup