The fat lady

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Round Robin
Has just started to clear her throat .

I can't believe the dire situation we are in after such optimism at the start of the season . Even in the January transfer window everything was supposedly fixed . Now 4 weeks on we are on the slippery slope .

We seem to pick our side with more of an eye on the opposition rather than letting them worry about us.

Why do we lose so many games by the odd goal .

Why does Gary not seem to know his best side .

Why do we make so many changes each week .

Why is it only half the side turn up for games.

Believe me if we go down , it would be a miracle to come back up .

All however is not lost , there are still plenty of points on offer . A win on Saturday is a must though and we need to pick up soon.
confused.com
Round Robin wrote:Has just started to clear her throat .

I can't believe the dire situation we are in after such optimism at the start of the season . Even in the January transfer window everything was supposedly fixed . Now 4 weeks on we are on the slippery slope .

We seem to pick our side with more of an eye on the opposition rather than letting them worry about us.

Why do we lose so many games by the odd goal .

Why does Gary not seem to know his best side .

Why do we make so many changes each week .

Why is it only half the side turn up for games.

Believe me if we go down , it would be a miracle to come back up .

All however is not lost , there are still plenty of points on offer . A win on Saturday is a must though and we need to pick up soon.
Yes, and how many times can a man turn his head
And pretend that he just doesn't see?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
People say we are on a slippery slope, but compared to 1st Jan we are on an upward slope, as per Robin's comment about having the best form in the bottom six in Jan and early Feb.

Given that a) it is mid Feb, b) we are not in the relegation zone and c) there are four teams within two points above us it is a bit premature for the fat lady to be warming up.

People are acting like we are bottom and getting adrift, which is not the case.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:People say we are on a slippery slope, but compared to 1st Jan we are on an upward slope, as per Robin's comment about having the best form in the bottom six in Jan and early Feb.

Given that a) it is mid Feb, b) we are not in the relegation zone and c) there are four teams within two points above us it is a bit premature for the fat lady to be warming up.

People are acting like we are bottom and getting adrift, which is not the case.
What planet do you really come from.
art vandalay
Since January 1st we've taken 8 points from 8 games, which is relegation form (still).
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:People say we are on a slippery slope, but compared to 1st Jan we are on an upward slope, as per Robin's comment about having the best form in the bottom six in Jan and early Feb.

People are acting like we are bottom and getting adrift, which is not the case
This is the truest sentence I've read on here for weeks. We could be as high as 19th on Saturday evening, or as low as 23rd (a maximum of 1 point behind).

It's far from all over yet and we are more than capable of going on a decent run.
Robin
art vandalay wrote:Since January 1st we've taken 8 points from 8 games, which is relegation form (still).
Fine margins though Art, our form before the last two games was very good, beat Accrington and Luton, very unlikely not to get at least a point versus Plymouth and two points lost very late versus Newport. My concern would be team morale right now, we need to keep spirits up and a win Saturday is very much needed for both players and fans.
Del Boy
Si Robin wrote:

This is the truest sentence I've read on here for weeks. We could be as high as 19th on Saturday evening, or as low as 23rd (a maximum of 1 point behind).

It's far from all over yet and we are more than capable of going on a decent run.
I've been reading how we're "more than capable of going on a decent run" all season. Hasn't happened yet after 31 games and there's only 15 left.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
Si Robin wrote:

I've been reading how we're "more than capable of going on a decent run" all season. Hasn't happened yet after 31 games and there's only 15 left.
Apart from a month of having the best form in the bottom six...which is more than enough to survive.
Del Boy
Is five teams in the whole league having a worse record for a month a decent run?? Is this really what it's come to? And since then all those five teams have a better recent record than us.

This is as bad as I've known it since we joined the league and all I'm reading from some is Gary's great, Gary won't let us go down, Gary will turn it around, Gary, Gary, Gary. It's Gary that's got us into this mess with his dreadful performance all season.

We can be thankful for what he did last season. But however good that was this season has been as bad.
Robin
There is no way this season has been as bad as the Yates/Buckle mess which got us relegated, you cannot be serious with that.
Si Robin
To be fair, this isn't even the worst part of this season. We spent a couple of months in the relegation zone.
Del Boy
Robin wrote:There is no way this season has been as bad as the Yates/Buckle mess which got us relegated, you cannot be serious with that.
Yates was sacked in late November having won six league games and he had got us into the second round of the FA Cup after beating a team in a higher division.

At a point nearly three months later in the season Johnson has managed to win the same amount of games and - obviously - we're much lower down the table than we were when Yates was sacked. We were also knocked out of the cup by a team in a lower division.

We had four managers - including Johnson - two seasons ago. Yates had the best record of all of them.

But yep - life's all grand under Johnson. His record for us in the league has been appalling.

Personally I would have Yates back. Turned us from relegation favourites to play-off finalists before having a season and a bit below that level. I think this is a lot worse but clearly you have a different opinion. But you were one of those who wanted Yates gone because he failed to get us into the play-offs for the third year running. Now you think Johnson is some sort of messiah. Can't work it out myself.
Ralph
Robin wrote:There is no way this season has been as bad as the Yates/Buckle mess which got us relegated, you cannot be serious with that.
Agree 100%. I never ever thought we would be where we are now, but i still believe 100% that we will stay up. Not blind faith.. i really still feel it
Shade
I agree too. The season before last just felt like a wait until we were confirmed down. I believe we have the players to do it this year, whereas that season our players were a joke. I also agree GJ has to stop chopping and changing every game. Pick a formation, pick the BEST XI FOR IT (no Cranston, no Rowe, no square pegs in round holes) and stick with it for at least 3 games (unless we're getting battered).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
Yates was sacked in late November having won six league games and he had got us into the second round of the FA Cup after beating a team in a higher division.

At a point nearly three months later in the season Johnson has managed to win the same amount of games and - obviously - we're much lower down the table than we were when Yates was sacked. We were also knocked out of the cup by a team in a lower division.

We had four managers - including Johnson - two seasons ago. Yates had the best record of all of them.

But yep - life's all grand under Johnson. His record for us in the league has been appalling.

Personally I would have Yates back. Turned us from relegation favourites to play-off finalists before having a season and a bit below that level. I think this is a lot worse but clearly you have a different opinion. But you were one of those who wanted Yates gone because he failed to get us into the play-offs for the third year running. Now you think Johnson is some sort of messiah. Can't work it out myself.
The difference is, Yates took a team from the play-offs one year, to relegation candidates the next, and relegation certainties the next. Whereas, Gary has brought a team from non-league to a higher division. Yates' first season was just as dire, going from 4th at Xmas to just staying up.

Surely it is a better achievement to get promoted and survive in a higher division, than it it is to drop from the top to the bottom of a division?
Shade
To be fair to Yates, the midfield that got us so far into those play-offs had broken up - not by his own doing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:To be fair to Yates, the midfield that got us so far into those play-offs had broken up - not by his own doing.
Indeed, but using the arguments of those who want Gary out, surely Yates' failure to recruit a better midfield during the summer meant he should have been sacked sooner?
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Del Boy wrote:

The difference is, Yates took a team from the play-offs one year, to relegation candidates the next, and relegation certainties the next. Whereas, Gary has brought a team from non-league to a higher division. Yates' first season was just as dire, going from 4th at Xmas to just staying up.

Surely it is a better achievement to get promoted and survive in a higher division, than it it is to drop from the top to the bottom of a division?
Very selective. In Yates first season we were favourites for relegation. Over several seasons he then built a team that twice took us to the play-offs. He signed players like Thomas and Pack with loans like Butland. The following season we finished 17th - what some are aiming for this season. We were in a similar position when he was sacked.

Gary Johnson was brought in to try to save us after two other managers had done worse than Yates. In seven games he won one drew one lost five and we were relegated.

It was a fine performance to get us promoted at the first attempt. But there is no doubt we had one of the biggest budgets in the division. No the biggest but not far off.

You yourself was confident of promotion this season. Now you see survival as an achievement. Yet Yates' crime was to fail to continue to over achieve. Johnson this season has under achieved quite dramatically.

I would say to reach the play-off final in league two was a bigger achievement than promotion from the conference. One thing is undeniable - Yates' best team would have beaten Johnson's best team by a country mile.

I think some are in awe of Johnson's achievements at other clubs. On that basis Bobby Gould is our best ever manager.
Del Boy
Shade wrote:To be fair to Yates, the midfield that got us so far into those play-offs had broken up - not by his own doing.
Indeed, but using the arguments of those who want Gary out, surely Yates' failure to recruit a better midfield during the summer meant he should have been sacked sooner?
At least he tried. We're now told Johnson only signed players worse than those he had in the summer so not to upset his established players. You reap what you sow.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Completely agree Yates' best team would have destroyed this one - it was the best I have seen at CTFC.

I was against sacking Yates at the time, and my attitude towards those calling for his head then is the same as it is towards those calling for Johnson to go now.

Let's focus on staying up, and see what the Board and Johnson decide in the summer, and what type of signings they can bring in.
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Let's focus on staying up, and see what the Board and Johnson decide in the summer, and what type of signings they can bring in.
Exactly. I'm just tired of all this 'Gary is god' nonsense. His performance this season has been dreadful so to keep hearing how great he is and how lucky we are to have him after watching another dire defeat is a bit wearing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Let's focus on staying up, and see what the Board and Johnson decide in the summer, and what type of signings they can bring in.
Exactly. I'm just tired of all this 'Gary is god' nonsense. His performance this season has been dreadful so to keep hearing how great he is and how lucky we are to have him after watching another dire defeat is a bit wearing.
Don't think anyone has ever said that to be honest - it just seems to be something you have got yourself worked up about.
confused.com
RCS to be fair on yates, he was starved of money the summer his team disintergrated
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:RCS to be fair on yates, he was starved of money the summer his team disintergrated
Indeed, which was my argument at the time when this board was raging for his scalp.
confused.com
actually on the drive home last night, I hit upon a great idea.
GJ should employ the tactics this year as he did last year. tell the squad that he promises to take them with him next year.
Let's see how the possibility of being conference players, focus their minds
confused.com
confused.com wrote:RCS to be fair on yates, he was starved of money the summer his team disintergrated
Indeed, which was my argument at the time when this board was raging for his scalp.
? but you also argue this "surely Yates' failure to recruit a better midfield during the summer meant he should have been sacked sooner?" - you cant compare the two, GJ had money, yates didnt
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
? but you also argue this "surely Yates' failure to recruit a better midfield during the summer meant he should have been sacked sooner?" - you cant compare the two, GJ had money, yates didnt
Good point; though I do not believe GJ had that much money. Given we overspent and risked financial survival on bouncing back I suspect the Board did not sanction much of a budget. Didn't we make a loss last season?
confused.com
RCS - GJ himself said he was given the budget he wanted - but thats all history, which wont change