And so to Saturday

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
Yeovil on the cow field

Low expectations

Use the pitch to our advantage
Plough it up and play hoof ball

I will be there
Will you?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Let's try the creeping barrage. It did not work in the last three games but is sure to this time.
Chinnamasta
Let's heavily water the pitch before the match, it worked last time.
horlickfanclub
Dayton and Holman must play .
Si Robin
We have to go 3-5-2 - Strong defence, but enough creativity in the middle to make chances for the two up top.

Brown

Onariase-Boyle-O’S (if fit, if not, Plavotic)

Pike/Barts (I’d prefer Barts, but it’ll be Pike)--------Davis

Pell-Rowe/Hall (I’d prefer Hall)
Winchester

Wootton-Waters/Holman
horlickfanclub
Three novice centre halfs strong ? We need width and crosses ?Rowe wasn't that good last season . Maybe Aaron can stand in the middle and head the ball.
Robin
Our three centre halves have done very well - unlike Parslow/Downes earlier in the season, I really don't understand your criticism there. For me the problem has been the wing backs and central midfield who haven't done enough to support the forwards or stop crosses coming into the box (Cranners guilty here).

The back five should pick itself now (no more tinkering GJ) Brown, Boyle, Manny, O'Shoggers should be first names down and I would have Davis and Barts but expect Pike to play. Midfield is harder to agree but I would favour Pell, Hall and Winchester to give us physical presence. Upfront Wootton and Holman but equally you could start any of the other three right now.
horlickfanclub
Goals from set pieces have cost us . Our centre backs are not winning crucial headers.
Shade
On our pitch I think we'd be best off with Wright and Wootton up front. Both winning the ball in the air and Wootton seems as good as any smaller striker with his feet.
darreno
You cannot leave our top scorer on the bench - absolutely ludicrous idea :shock:
Robin
So who is more likely to do better Holman or Waters? Billy for me does very well coming on from the bench rather than Holman or Diego.
westernshore
Totally agree that Brown, Onaraise, Boyle and O'Shaugh easy should be the first names down on the team Sheet.
It is significant to note that in our last win which was against Luton (a terrific win by ourselves against a team a lot higher
in team league) we started with this line-up and continued with it during the whole match. It is vitally important that our central
defenders achieve consistency and this is only obtained by playing the same players in consecutive matches. The centre half's
must create a bond a rapport so that they know what the others are doing and when and why. As far as I understand when asking
others that O'Shaughnessy has been fit to play for the last two vital matches otherwise he wouldn't have been considered for even
the bench
Shade
I don't get the Billy infatuation. Yes, he's our top scorer but how many has he scored that aren't tap ins? He doesn't actually make much happen. I know they all count, but we need players to make things happen.

Getting ready to be crucified.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I don't get the Billy infatuation. Yes, he's our top scorer but how many has he scored that aren't tap ins? He doesn't actually make much happen. I know they all count, but we need players to make things happen.

He scores a lot of 'instinct' goals and I would say is our best reactive/poacher player, but I agree, his structured build up play and decisions when he has time to think about it and we are building is less effective than players like Dayton or Holman.
confused.com
darreno wrote:You cannot leave our top scorer on the bench - absolutely ludicrous idea :shock:
hmmmmm you mean last seasons
confused.com
Shade wrote:I don't get the Billy infatuation. Yes, he's our top scorer but how many has he scored that aren't tap ins? He doesn't actually make much happen. I know they all count, but we need players to make things happen.

he does need to learn when to pass and to lift his head to see the pass
Malabus
Get Downes back into the heart of the defence.
London Exile
I'd be tempted to go with Wootton and Diego up top? It has to be 2 up with Wootton + 1 f
confused.com
London Exile wrote:I'd be tempted to go with Wootton and Diego up top? It has to be 2 up with Wootton + 1 f
should always be two up, as we are more than likely to concede goals.