Jordan Cranston and Manny Onariase

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

drgm
Shocking defending for the second goal
Neither of them jump for the ball allowing the Stevenage player a free header
They both need to show more determination in their own box if we are ever to pull out of this mess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwsM6B35VYM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
There were about 4 players there that should have been more committed to getting to the ball first but weren't.

Two things we already knew but were confirmed last night - Cranston can't defend and Trevor Kettle obviously has compromising photos of the man that employs referees because there's no way he could still have a job after all these years of inept performances, otherwise. Same might go for Cranston and GJ, actually...
Nesty
Shade wrote:There were about 4 players there that should have been more committed to getting to the ball first but weren't.

Two things we already knew but were confirmed last night - Cranston can't defend and Trevor Kettle obviously has compromising photos of the man that employs referees because there's no way he could still have a job after all these years of inept performances, otherwise. Same might go for Cranston and GJ, actually...
Robin
I don't dislike Cranston in comparison with say CBB but he's clearly the weak link in the team right now especially when we have Davis who looks far superior.
confused.com
Robin wrote:I don't dislike Cranston in comparison with say CBB but he's clearly the weak link in the team right now especially when we have Davis who looks far superior.
hope he hasn't you down for a reference lol
CTFC03
You would think Cranston would at least jump for it as he's in front, even if you jump and don't get it he could have put the attacker off, shambolic defending, no point picking him again for that alone that's just outrageous!!!
confused.com
no comment, my views on JC and his defensive abilities are well documented............... but he runs forwards a lot, so what do I know
andgarod
Cranston will not play on saturday
CTFC03
And the game after too, hope he doesn't play for our club again, we need players with the desire to get this club out of trouble.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC03 wrote:And the game after too, hope he doesn't play for our club again, we need players with the desire to get this club out of trouble.
One thing to criticise ability, but this is the first time I have seen someone question his desire. Quite an accusation.
kora
JC'S desire is not in question surely, his ability to defend is another matter. On Tuesday he looked decent going forwards, maybe we should play him as an out and out winger. Also on Tuesday, until the whistling Kettle sabotaged our efforts, we were bossing the game. We're not playing well, but we're not as bad as some would have us believe. As pointed out elsewhere the booing that greets every mistake is hugely detrimental to the cause, so will the boo boys please shut the fcuk up and support the team and at least give us a fighting chance of survival.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
CTFC03 wrote:And the game after too, hope he doesn't play for our club again, we need players with the desire to get this club out of trouble.
One thing to criticise ability, but this is the first time I have seen someone question his desire. Quite an accusation.
agreed, he puts the effort in. Just seems to lack concentration and spacial awareness. Also, or maybe it is just me, the turn of foot he shows going forward, seems to desert him when defending (?)
Shade
He basically hasn't got a clue on positioning on the pitch or positioning of his body when defending which is why he now has a two match ban as he keeps tripping or pulling players down that have got past him so easily, and he does indeed lose concentration. I think this is commonly referred to as a lack of a footballing brain. I think he'd be better if converted to a left winger, tbh, but he'd have to improve the quality of his crossing quite a lot.

I'm looking forward to seeing Davis play there on Saturday but, the way GJ's been going about things lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 4 at the back with DO'S at left back...
confused.com
Shade wrote:He basically hasn't got a clue on positioning on the pitch or positioning of his body when defending which is why he now has a two match ban as he keeps tripping or pulling players down that have got past him so easily, and he does indeed lose concentration. I think this is commonly referred to as a lack of a footballing brain. I think he'd be better if converted to a left winger, tbh, but he'd have to improve the quality of his crossing quite a lot.

I'm looking forward to seeing Davis play there on Saturday but, the way GJ's been going about things lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 4 at the back with DO'S at left back...
True
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kora wrote:JC'S desire is not in question surely, his ability to defend is another matter. On Tuesday he looked decent going forwards, maybe we should play him as an out and out winger. Also on Tuesday, until the whistling Kettle sabotaged our efforts, we were bossing the game. We're not playing well, but we're not as bad as some would have us believe. As pointed out elsewhere the booing that greets every mistake is hugely detrimental to the cause, so will the boo boys please shut the fcuk up and support the team and at least give us a fighting chance of survival.
To the point! But agreed, the fans have a huge part to play. When the players are not doing anything to get the fans excited or are out of form and confidence, the onus is on the fans to get behind them and help them turn it around.
CTFC03
I would argue that standing still in your own 6 yard box with the ball coming straight to your head and letting the attacker have a free header is somebody that lacks the desire to try and win the ball, not saying he has to win it (it would be nice of course) but if he jumps with the attacker he might have put him off and the goal could have been avoided altogether.
cheltsaxon
How about his positioning here stood in no mans land makes no effort to get back despite the ball being held up before wandering back still nowhere near anyone and the nalls goes into box big defensive liabilty and GJ knows it he's pretty much acknowledged it but wont back down. https://ibb.co/mG7i0a
Robin
I agree it's pretty obvious Cranston is the weak link in the team and I am baffled how he retains his place when we now have Davis who can play that position.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I agree it's pretty obvious Cranston is the weak link in the team and I am baffled how he retains his place when we now have Davis who can play that position.
Is that weak ability, or weak desire?