How many of the 92 grounds...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
...in the Premier League and Football League have Cheltenham Town never played at and can you name them?

http://bit.ly/92Grounds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
How many have we won at, and how many have we lost at?
Si Robin
By my extremely rough calculations we've won at 32 of the grounds.
Fuller
If we stay up we can enjoy a nice day out at the Ricoh, not too far away and a big stadium, been there a few times.

Another ground question. Can you name the grounds and teams we have played at where the home team were tenants ?

I can think only of one off the top of my head and that was in the FA Cup.

Another query - apart from Brighton, have we played at any other grounds where the home team were just using another local ground whilst they sorted a new stadium ? Weren't Rotherham another ?
PaulGodfrey
Fulham in the FA Cup at QPR. Strictly speaking, though, Newport County AFC are tenants of Newport Rugby Club. You could also argue that we played at Stockport County when they were tenants of Sale Sharks as the parent company that owned the rugby club also owned the ground.

Rotherham United played at the Don Valley Stadium while they were sorting out their new ground but we haven't played on any other temporary homes in the Football League. Had we been around last season Carlisle United played home games at Preston, Blackburn and Blackpool due to flood damage at their ground.

The above are only grounds we have played on during the Football League years. In non-league football we played at any number of ground-shares, borrowed grounds and goodness knows what. One of our two appearances at Villa Park was an FA Cup second replay against Hereford United that was ordered to be played on a neutral ground in 1949.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Rushden turned out to be a temporary ground, LOL
Fuller
Good reply Paul, as ever.

What other neutral grounds have we played on ?
I remember going to Bath City around 1976 to see us play Merthyr in an FA Cup qualifier second replay. Think we lost 0-4 after two draws. Perhaps that was the last time we played at a neutral venue ? (Not including Wembley and the Mill Stad of course !)
PaulGodfrey
Neutral venue games:
2.5.36 v Nuneaton Town (Leamington Hospital Cup final) at Leamington FC
21.11.49 v Hereford United (FA Cup fourth round qualifying second replay) at Villa Park
7.12.64 v Bedford Town (Southern League Cup third round replay) at Worcester City FC (as the Whaddon Road floodlights were out of action)
18.10.76 v Merthyr Tydfil (FA Cup second round qualifying second replay) at Bath City

Plus two visits to Wembley and two to the Millennium Stadium.

In pre-season friendlies we have played on numerous neutral grounds, most recently against Wolves at Kidderminster Harriers when the floods knocked out our water supply in 2007.
Fuller
Thanks again Paul, pleased to say I was present the last time we played at a neutral venue 18/10/76 !

On a similar theme what about Whaddon Road ever being used as a neutral venue ? It never happened but around '83/84 it was rumoured that if one the FA Trophy semi final two legged ties ended in stalemate then the replay was going to be played at Whaddon Road ? I think Dartford were one of the teams and the other from the north west, we might have been one of the larger non-league grounds half way between the two clubs so it was a possibility. It would have been a good night out at ours anyway !
Robin
I think I am on 63 of the current 92 with CTFC, only ground in league two I've not been too is Barnet (new one), so I'm keen for Coventry to drop down as we will surely take 1000+ there next season.
leohoenig
I have seen one other game where the home team were tenants.
That was a County Cup game here at Whaddon Road, playing Gloucester.

I have seen Cheltenham Town play away at 120 grounds, with a further 7 where I have seen our reserve team played (but not the first team) and Barton Rovers for an FA Youth Cup tie.

This Saturday will be my 500th game at Whaddon Road, but only 463 First team homes.
The others are 35 Reserve/Youth games, the one Gloucester game above and England U-17 v Italy
PaulGodfrey
Not a bad effort, Leo :D

Obviously you've been to a lot more grounds than me in general but... I've seen Cheltenham Town play on 246 different grounds (OK, this does include friendlies and non-first team games as well).

Barnet will get be back to the 92 (I'm currently on 91.5 having been to a meeting at Barnet but not a game!)

In international football I've seen the full England team in 95 away matches (including tournaments outside England) across 41 different countries. This rises by a handful more to include England C and Under-21s.

Not that this is anything to be proud of. Most people would consider it pretty sad!

To answer Fuller's question, Whaddon Road has been used for all manner of games down the years. Since the 1960s we've had five separate ground share deals (Charlton Kings, Gloucester City early 70s - midweek games as Horton Road had no floodlights for a while, St Marks CA, Endsleigh and now Gloucester City again) and there have been any number of local cup finals, representative games, schools finals etc played there. Must admit, though, I don't recall a neutral game such as an FA Trophy semi-final replay or FA Cup second replay being played at the ground.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Leo - when was the England U17 at WR?

Paul - are you the keeper of the 'Cheltenham Town' flag it is always a delight to see on televised England games?
leohoenig
4 September 2005 - four team tournament
The games for the day were USA 1-2 Portugal (at The Lawn, attendance approx 300), and England 1-2 Italy (attendance 2534)
England team
David Button (currently at Fulham), Paul Rodgers (Bishop Stortford?), James Tomkins (C. Palace), Jack Cork (Swansea), Lee Molyneux (Morecambe), Jamie Chandler (Spennymoor), Josh Walker (Edinburgh City), John Paul Kissock (Ebbsfleet), Mark Randall (Newport County), Nathan Porritt (Thornaby), Mark Nardiello (?). Subs that played. Theo Walcot, Dan Sturridge and Jake Thomson (Havant & Waterlooville)

Italy
Eros Corradini (?), Claudio Cafiero (Lupa Roma), Alessandro Tuia (Salernitana), Massimiliano Tagliani (FC Sudtirol), Francesco Pambianchi (Taranto), Francesco Bolzoni (Novara), Simone Loiodice (?), Cosmo Palumbo (Sanremese), Nicolas Viola (Novara), Piergiuseppe Maritato (Livorno), Cristian Pasquato (Krylia Sovetov, on loan from Juventus - been at Juventus for nine years, played once for Juve, and been out on loan at 11 clubs). Playing subs: Tobia Fusciello (Acireale), Cristian Palumbo (?), Michele Marconi (Lecce)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Thanks Leo. Fascinating to see some of the England names that played - and the different directions their careers have taken since!
everyman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Thanks Leo. Fascinating to see some of the England names that played - and the different directions their careers have taken since!
And an incentive for youngsters who don`t make those representative sides as most of those that do eventually fall behind.
PaulGodfrey
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Paul - are you the keeper of the 'Cheltenham Town' flag it is always a delight to see on televised England games?
My flag used to be seen at England games but sadly it didn't survive our most recent visit to Ukraine. The Cheltenham flag that has been prominent at England games in the last couple of years belongs to Greg Hughes.
I don't travel with Greg but quite often see him at games. He was in the seat immediately behind me when we lost to Iceland!
kora
Thanks Leo, amazing how many of those players, from both sides, didn't make the top grade after a bright start to their careers. My big memory of that game was Theo coming on and Italy putting on a second left sided defender to counteract him.
leohoenig
More useless facts,
Having reached 500 visits to Whaddon Road, 198 of them were home wins (all by Cheltenham Town First team, reserves or youth)
161 were away wins, and 141 were draws.
As one of the away wins was a Gloucester City home game (with Cheltenham away), I have now seen Cheltenham win at Whaddon Road 199 times.

Away from home, I have seen the first team 249 times, (including the one at Whaddon Road)
73 of these were won by Cheltenham Town, 58 draws and 118 defeats

I have also seen the reserves playing away 11 times (6 wins) and the youths away three times (2 wins)
I have never seen the reserves or youth team draw in an away match!

Finally, there are four matches at Neutral Venues = 2 at Wembley, 2 at Millennium Stadium
Cheltenham won three of these.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Did you go to away games at any of the small grounds when we played in the Welsh Cup, Leo?