Well whos next

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
Will GJ recover in time to kick ass

Dan OS in a boot so we are down to 3 again

Midfield who knows

Can anyone score a goal or better still 2
I-Love-CTFC
We might have more chance of scoring if Holman wasn't left on the bench. What was the point of loaning De Girolamo?
vickeryc
I-Love-CTFC wrote:We might have more chance of scoring if Holman wasn't left on the bench. What was the point of loaning De Girolamo?
Good points - both are capable goal scorers. It does sound like a dire all-round performance last night, in marked contrast to good showings recently against the likes of Luton, Carlisle and Yeovil.
milestones
Why for heavens sake is Dan Holman not playing?!
Our leading scorer last season by a mile - what's he done to be so out of favour?!
Nesty
milestones wrote:Why for heavens sake is Dan Holman not playing?!
Our leading scorer last season by a mile - what's he done to be so out of favour?!
good point - if its match fitness he needs he is not going to get it sat on the bench - and what has De Gironimo done? I would be tempted to play 3 mobile runners in De G, Dan H and Billy W up front and keep the ball on the deck
Johnsons Red Army
In the games that he has played this season, what has Holman actually done to warrant a starting position? Last season he was amazing I agree, but he hasn't done much this season (injuries are a factor I know) to be a guaranteed starter. He needs to start making the most of his opportunities if he wants to become a regular starter, which I don't believe he has done yet.

Edit: Taking these stats at face value, http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dan-holm ... ler/241680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , he has 1 goal and 1 assist in 825 minutes of league play this season. Not starter material imo on those numbers.
theidlerich
..with the team apparently committing 'hari-kari'; falling ill and GJ doing a runner [?] shouldn't we be a little concerned at the sudden capitulation of old....
Newport may well save themselves with their more physical and all out effort approach!
Worried.
horlickfanclub
What has Walters done in the last thirteen games Johnsons? Wooton has gone quiet too. They both need dropping.
Johnsons Red Army
Who is Walters?

For Billy Waters, 3 goals and 1 assist from 1026 minutes (in the last 13 games), if the data I am using is accurate.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/billy-wa ... ler/246183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For Kyle Wootton, 2 goals and 2 assists from 926 minutes since joining the club (11 games).

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kyle-woo ... ler/334721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
horlickfanclub
Since the start of the year it is now fourteen games. Two goals in each in open play for Waters and Wooton.
Shade
As I said on March 1st,
Shade wrote:Although I don't think we will, I'm just hoping we don't do a Crewe - looked much better a couple of weeks ago, got a few good results but now the railwaymen seem to have come off the tracks again. In fact most teams down there have put a 2 or 3 game run together at some point and must have thought they'd be fine, only to balls it up again. Pray it's not us next.
As quickly as everyone was saying we're fine and safe 2/3 games ago, everyone's now jumping on the bandwagon after losing away games at the league leaders and a team in the play-offs. Yes, we might have played badly last night but did anyone really expect us to play well in every remaining game? Teams down and around us have been doing what we're doing for months - going on a good run and then having a bad run. Have a little faith that GJ will hopefully return to the dugout on Saturday and in 3 games time Storer will be back in the starting 11 and, also hopefully, the ref won't give a c!#p about any reputation he might have heard about. He's played in 8 of our 9 wins. Until we've seen how we do back at home on Saturday against another side that lost to a relegation rival last night, let's try not to go OTT.
I-Love-CTFC
Wootton isn't a goalscorer, you can tell that by looking at his stats. We really need to change things up at the top end of the pitch.
Robin
We are realistically only two wins from securing our league status however I don't want to simply sneak over the line I want to see progress and convince me we can challenge for promotion next season.
vickeryc
Shade wrote:As I said on March 1st,
Shade wrote:Although I don't think we will, I'm just hoping we don't do a Crewe - looked much better a couple of weeks ago, got a few good results but now the railwaymen seem to have come off the tracks again. In fact most teams down there have put a 2 or 3 game run together at some point and must have thought they'd be fine, only to balls it up again. Pray it's not us next.
As quickly as everyone was saying we're fine and safe 2/3 games ago, everyone's now jumping on the bandwagon after losing away games at the league leaders and a team in the play-offs. Yes, we might have played badly last night but did anyone really expect us to play well in every remaining game? Teams down and around us have been doing what we're doing for months - going on a good run and then having a bad run. Have a little faith that GJ will hopefully return to the dugout on Saturday and in 3 games time Storer will be back in the starting 11 and, also hopefully, the ref won't give a c!#p about any reputation he might have heard about. He's played in 8 of our 9 wins. Until we've seen how we do back at home on Saturday against another side that lost to a relegation rival last night, let's try not to go OTT.
Spot on.
Nesty
Robin wrote:We are realistically only two wins from securing our league status however I don't want to simply sneak over the line I want to see progress and convince me we can challenge for promotion next season.
we are not going to achieve that with the current board and management .
Reliant Robin
I know I have already said this on another thread, so my apologies for repeating some of it, but the last dip in form after the January rebuild coincided with the Noro (vomiting) virus in the camp that resulted in the training ground having to be deep cleaned to try and get rid of it as it was working its way through the whole squad.
We know that GJ has been hit with a nasty flu virus and we know that Liam Davis has it as well. I know it smacks of being really unlucky with illness, and no-one from inside the Club has wheeled it out as an excuse, but these are illnesses that can totally floor even the fittest of people. After the recent really good form we wouldn't just turn cr@p overnight unless there was some other factor at play and my hunch is that some of the players are having to turn out with flu symptoms - we do know that Liam Davis was not well on Saturday, and as he has not been isolated from the squad, so it is very likely that others could be down with it or are about to go down with it.
As Robin says, we probably only need 2 or three wins to get us over the line and my belief is that once this virus has run its course, the Players will be back to their best again - together with Stoz being back in the side. I'm sure we will be okay. Newport will have another dip and Orient are probably doomed, and we are only about 6 points off 16th place.
horlickfanclub
Common cold or flu?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
FA/FL decision to red card and ban Stoz has had the desired effect of halting our momentum.

At least Boyle will be back for the next game.

Still closer to safety than we were a month or so ago. All of the bottom eight will win a few and lose a few between now and May: still don't think we are in any real danger.
London Exile
Whilst we take on Cambridge our rivals fixtures are Hartlepool v Wycombe, Orient v Doncaster, Newport v Blackpool, Grimsby v Crawley, fingers crossed we can get back to winning ways and a few results go our way.
I-Love-CTFC
Nice to see our players enjoying themselves at the races. The cold in camp can't be that bad.
vickeryc
Was the entire squad at the races?
Reliant Robin
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Nice to see our players enjoying themselves at the races. The cold in camp can't be that bad.
Without intending to defend a couple of poor performances, but simply trying to provide an explanation (this set of players are not shirkers, unlike the 2014/15 squad) for the lack of energy - whether it's a heavy cold or a flu like virus, any upper respiratory congestion would impede an athletes ability to exert themselves at the levels required for a professional football match, and most medications to alleviate symptoms would be banned.

Those respiratory issues wouldn't be the same for walking around public areas of a racecourse. Bear in mind that Club sponsors represented at the Cheltenham Races would expect to be seen with personnel from the Club. It's good PR for both, and brings in important revenue and it's all part of their job. It's also good for Player morale.

I do find it strange that fans suddenly turn on our Players when we get a bad result, and criticise them for everything they do. I'm not sure it's entirely helpful or what it's intended to achieve. Maybe some feel that by getting the boot in when they're down will lift the Players' performances? Not so sure that's good for Player morale to be honest.
vickeryc
Reliant Robin wrote:
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Nice to see our players enjoying themselves at the races. The cold in camp can't be that bad.
Without intending to defend a couple of poor performances, but simply trying to provide an explanation (this set of players are not shirkers, unlike the 2014/15 squad) for the lack of energy - whether it's a heavy cold or a flu like virus, any upper respiratory congestion would impede an athletes ability to exert themselves at the levels required for a professional football match, and most medications to alleviate symptoms would be banned.

Those respiratory issues wouldn't be the same for walking around public areas of a racecourse. Bear in mind that Club sponsors represented at the Cheltenham Races would expect to be seen with personnel from the Club. It's good PR for both, and brings in important revenue and it's all part of their job. It's also good for Player morale.

I do find it strange that fans suddenly turn on our Players when we get a bad result, and criticise them for everything they do. I'm not sure it's entirely helpful or what it's intended to achieve. Maybe some feel that by getting the boot in when they're down will lift the Players' performances? Not so sure that's good for Player morale to be honest.
It appears to be part of the negative outlook that some fans seem to relish sharing with the rest of us.
andgarod
as long as the boys are just watching the racing
No gambling addictions to feed
I am sure the players are behaving sensibly ( sort of)
I-Love-CTFC
vickeryc wrote:Was the entire squad at the races?
Not sure if the whole squad were there but someone on Twitter said they were. Harry Pell was pictured with a fan. No problem at all with the players enjoying themselves, but last year didn't they all decide not to go to focus on winning the league?
asl
While the cat's away...
Shade
asl wrote:While the cat's away...
...yeah, right. 'Cause the cat wouldn't hear about it, would he :lol: