Need an interim manager?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Or at least someone to tell Russ that sticking with five at the back when 1-0 all second half. Astounded when Billy was taken off for Dayton and not a centre back.
Robin
There was a lot of talk of this, I feel asking SC to come back or even John Ward is the right thing to do but it must be someone who knows the club but not Mark Yates/Martin Allen!!
confused.com
Very very very unfair to group MY with MA!
I-Love-CTFC
I'd be doing everything I could to get Ward in to do a job. We all love Russ but he's too pally with the players and I just think he's out of his depth. Russ seemed to suggest that because Newport and Orient lost it was ok that we didn't win. That's the wrong attitude to have.
Jerry St Clair
Tactically inept today and the substitutions were mystifying.

In fairness, GJ has made his fair share of tactical howlers this season, the trouble is we don't really have the luxury of allowing RM time to learn from his mistakes.

And I seriously doubt there is any spare cash for an interim manager, given that the Robins Trust had to chip in the get Davis?
Nesty
How many games with GJ miss? a bit like the tin man in the Wizard of Oz - we need some heart in the team
I-Love-CTFC
Jerry St Clair wrote:Tactically inept today and the substitutions were mystifying.

In fairness, GJ has made his fair share of tactical howlers this season, the trouble is we don't really have the luxury of allowing RM time to learn from his mistakes.

And I seriously doubt there is any spare cash for an interim manager, given that the Robins Trust had to chip in the get Davis?
Davis hasn't looked worth the money paid recently. He started off well, it can't all be put down to this illness.
Robin
Davis did well first half today, he's light years ahead of Cranston! He was double marked in the second half as they sussed he was our only player who can get in behind their defence.
I-Love-CTFC
Robin wrote:Davis did well first half today, he's light years ahead of Cranston! He was double marked in the second half as they sussed he was our only player who can get in behind their defence.
His set-pieces were terrible. At one point in the second half all he had to do was avoid one Cambridge player to cross it and he still managed to hit him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
That one free kick towards the end was pitiful. Dayts should have taken over set piece duty.
Leckyfan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:That one free kick towards the end was pitiful. Dayts should have taken over set piece duty.
I was sat in the Colin Farmer stand, directly behind Davis when he took that free kick. What people in other parts of the ground (including the BBC Glos commentary team) didn't realise was that a sudden, unexpected strong gust of wind (coming from the Whaddon Road end) took all of the power out of the free kick, and it failed to reach the penalty box where it was aimed. I'm sure Davis was embarrassed at how bad it looked, but actually not his fault at all.
Ralph
Nesty wrote:How many games with GJ miss? a bit like the tin man in the Wizard of Oz - we need some heart in the team
I think he's out for the season
Shade
He might be back for the last 2 or 3 games if his recovery goes to plan. 4-6 weeks they said.
Artemis
You think he'll be back? I don't - not as manager, at least. A triple by-pass is something that takes time to recover from and is not certainty of no further cardiac episodes. Why risk your health? I wouldn't think he needs the money
Shade
I'm just going on what was said. 4-6 weeks.
paperboy
Much as I think Russ is a good guy that every club needs, he will never have the qualities to be a manager.
That said on Saturday he had certainly galvanised the team into making a massive effort, but alas lack of quality prevented any points coming our way.

I would think that there is zero chance of SC returning, given that he would be taking an unjustifiable gamble with his CV.
Robin
Why would SC be gambling with his CV helping the club for a few weeks whilst GJ returns? Seems an odd statement on face value Paperboy.
horlickfanclub
The CV includes great periods without a Managers job.
Nesty
Newport have brought in help http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39343288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Milton needs help, surely we wont gamble our league status away ? there are enough out of work L1 & L2 managers who could bring some much needed know how. I am not doubting Russ' commitment but he has no real experience - SC is a non starter, JW was snubbed last time round (or did he snub us?), Would not want Mad Dog or The Ghoul back here either.
paperboy
Robin wrote:Why would SC be gambling with his CV helping the club for a few weeks whilst GJ returns? Seems an odd statement on face value Paperboy.
Steve being Steve he would probably keep us safe ,but if he didn't that would put him down the pecking order for permanent jobs.
The reason he is out of work for long periods is that he doesn't accept just any old offer that comes along.
Success in his next job will be crucial in his career,so hence far to risky to come home to us at this point in time.
Nesty
we owe SC a huge debt but he only used us as a lever to launch his career - we jumped on his back and off he went. he wont be back anytime soon if at all.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Indeed. He is in danger of becoming the forgotten man of football management. He needs a role people will notice. Not many outside Gloucestershire will pay much notice to whether Cheltenham stay up or go down, and that is not a job which will save his career.
Nesty
Micky Adams is currently doing nowt
longmover
Can we afford an interim manager?
Artemis
I don't think we need an interim manager. What Russ needs is some advice. GJ may be talking to him. SC could help out too.
London Exile
I'd have expected Downes to step up to first team coach/assistant manager in GJs absence