managerial situations of the past

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

hepple
The current situation with Gary being away to recover from surgery got me thinking about situations in the past where we have needed a caretaker/interim manager.

I cant think of a past situation where we have had our manager away from his post due to surgery or major illness just Martin Allen being put on gardening leave.

I do though remember us having a caretaker because of a manager sacking or in my dads days he remembers a time when the manager's contract wasn't renewed mid season and was replaced by some of the directors of the day and another time when the team captain was put in charge until a new manager was appointed. Cant remember if this was between Cyril Dean and George Summerbee's time or if it was after Raeside or Arch Anderson left mid season his memory isn't clear on dates but can remember random things like players and managers.

I remember other Caretaker managers such as Bob Bloomer, John Schofield and Dave Lewis going further back but does anyone know the records of previous caretakers.
horlickfanclub
Roger Thorndale was caretaker for a while.
Fuller
Jim Barron's two year contract ran out half way through the season in 1990/91.

It was not renewed and John Murphy came back as Manager for just a few weeks before Dave Lewis took over for the rest of the season. (Some may recall Murph's first game back in charge was at Birmingham in the FA Cup when we lost 0-1.)

When I finish doing some actual work which I am paid for I will have a think of some others.
Flux
I can remember Peter Higgins being in charge at the start of the 1995-96 season after Parsons left

Wiki also lists Augie Scott as a manager but as he doesnt appear on any official list I can only assume this is either wrong (it is wiki afterall) or that he was a caretaker at some point.
Flux
With the passing of Ronnie Moran who led Liverpool to an FA Cup win while Souness was recovering from his own heart surgery, I had a thought about this question again and think that maybe Keith Downing took charge of a game or 2 while John Ward was ill. Could be remembering it wrong though.
Maybe somebody or Paul Godfrey could confirm if my memory is right

As a club it seems we haven't had the need to appoint a caretaker manager much in the past as very few can remember many temporary bosses