What needs to change in the summer?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Ralph wrote:
Robin wrote:
Del Boy wrote:If the recruitment was so much better in January how come we haven't scored in four games?? What we putting that down to?? The pitch, mole, sickness, bad luck, dodgy ref etc etc etc etc??
Our form since January (before last few games) was play-off standard :roll:
What's happened to the little Italian lad from Bristol that is on loan. Scored goals when he first came and now you hear nothing about him
Attitude problem.

I'd just chime in that I would definitely keep Munns in the summer. I just think he's going to come good. He's still young and I'm convinced that if he gets a run of games we'll see him producing. I think worse players have had far more of a chance this season, partly because of our pitch, and partly because we're where we are and it's seen as a risk to play him when we're fighting so hard for every point (due to his size, not effort).
Ralph
Cheers..

That damn attitude problem strikes again
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:You seem to think any post of mine is a rant for some strange reason. I was merely pointing out to ignore the last four games and the previous six months to put a positive spin on a dreadful season was bonkers. You might disagree. Again, I don't really care.

I'd prefer it if you didn't reply to my posts - you're becoming a bit of a stalker.
You asked what impact January signings made. Robin answered about January signings. He did not ignore the first half the season - it just was not relevant to January signings.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing, just pointing out a misunderstanding. Robin and I are just as unhappy with the dire season as you are, however it is clear the new squad from January onwards has won more points than that from August to January. Not a point of argument, just the statistics of the season.

I will reply to any post which has a misunderstanding and unfair attack on another poster based on the misunderstanding, hence replying to your comment to Robin. If you don't want me to keep calling you out, then a read and think before you post might reduce the number of errors you make and the number of replies from me in return.
Del Boy
I would imagine any club could point to a few weeks in a season that would make them play-off contenders. That's the nature of football. Yes I'm well aware we had an upturn of form in February I happened to be at several of the matches.

I've also noticed we haven't scored for four games when we've picked up one point - not really play-off form that in my opinion. Again just my opinion. You might disagree. Again I don't really care.

You seem to have a big problem with me for some reason - I'm not sure why. Hopefully I won't have the misfortune of sitting next to you at any matches, I would be worried you would follow me home and want to camp in one of my fields.
confused.com
Robin, the arrogance remark was aimed at the ' we are too good to go down' attitude, rather than at you directly.
Still maintain we should say to all this squad, as things stand we are keeping you all. Let us see how a season in the conference looming, Spurs them on to better things!!!
robinsrule
Robin wrote:
Del Boy wrote:If the recruitment was so much better in January how come we haven't scored in four games?? What we putting that down to?? The pitch, mole, sickness, bad luck, dodgy ref etc etc etc etc??
Our form since January (before last few games) was play-off standard :roll:
And I had a good chance of pulling Jessica Alba before she turned me down.

The last four games count I'm afraid, and if Newport win tonight I will start to get a little twitchy!
hand_shandy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: a read and think before you post might reduce the number of errors you make
Good advice.
If only everyone took it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Since 1st Jan we are 15th in form table:

http://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/com ... -and-away/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
15th now and I understood we were 6th before the last three games, sure that's relegation form.
horlickfanclub
Past form means nothing. The upcoming games are what counts.
Robin
It's a good indicator of direction Horlick.
horlickfanclub
No its not. Our previous run of " good form" did not predict three defeats. The next result is the only relevant one.
Artemis
Its not relegation form. Its 15th place form. Fortunately, the teams below us in the league table are below us in the form table; stay like that, and we're safe. So, we can afford to maintain the same form over the last 8 games. In fact, there were need to be a drastic up turn in the form of both County and Orient for us to be heading for relegation. Possible, of course, not probable. All we need to do is win a couple of games, and we're more than likely to be OK.
Shade
Someone always makes a late run for safety in this league...we paid the price 2 years ago because of it.
Robin
Haven't we been doing this Shade moving from 2nd bottom up to 16th/17th before the last few games?
Nesty
beware the Ides of March !!
Shade
Robin wrote:Haven't we been doing this Shade moving from 2nd bottom up to 16th/17th before the last few games?
We HAD. But it wasn't that late, there were still 12 matches to go at that point, a quarter of the season. Now to the end of the season, last 8 games - this is what I'm focusing on, not what's happened before.
confused.com
Shade wrote:
Robin wrote:Haven't we been doing this Shade moving from 2nd bottom up to 16th/17th before the last few games?
We HAD. But it wasn't that late, there were still 12 matches to go at that point, a quarter of the season. Now to the end of the season, last 8 games - this is what I'm focusing on, not what's happened before.
your telling remark Robin is 'before the last few games'. As was said winning a few on the trot does not mean we will do it gain. Nor does a losing run. However a losing run gives others the chance to overhaul us. We ARE in trouble and can't see how being 22nd in the league can mean anything else
Horteng
Biggest change needed for me is the groundshare needs to end.

I for one will not pay to watch football at Whaddon Road this year based on the state of the pitch
Shade
Horteng wrote:Biggest change needed for me is the groundshare needs to end.

I for one will not pay to watch football at Whaddon Road this year based on the state of the pitch
It is ending. ICYMI, Gloucester are sharing with Evesham next season...
little mo

Where have you been?
Horteng
little mo wrote:

Where have you been?
What do you mean? On here or at the club?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
Shade wrote:
your telling remark Robin is 'before the last few games'. As was said winning a few on the trot does not mean we will do it gain. Nor does a losing run. However a losing run gives others the chance to overhaul us. We ARE in trouble and can't see how being 22nd in the league can mean anything else
Same way doomer gloomers said we were gonners after a poor Nov/Dec left us second bottom was OTT knee jerking, those Tinters saying we had a play-off quality squad after a good Jan/Feb left us 18th were OTT knee jerking.

My 10 wins/17th place estimate made when were second bottom is looking unlikely and was over optimistic, but my view at that time that we wouldn't go down has not changed. Form swings up and down, and the mood on hear lurches up and down during games let alone week to week. But the steady middle ground long term view in January that with GJ making the required signings we would stay up, even if close and squeaky bum at times, is still the right one.
confused.com
RCS - understand now, all teams that are not in trouble are close to relegation and have s squeaky bum time ?? :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:RCS - understand now, all teams that are not in trouble are close to relegation and have s squeaky bum time ?? :)
Yes. It is possible to be close to relegation without it being a real danger.
confused.com
Not knocking your optimism, very laudable. Your logic would then seem to dicatate, that if we are in no real danger. Then the only ones in the league in danger are the two below us? Personally don't agree with that view
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Not knocking your optimism, very laudable. Your logic would then seem to dicatate, that if we are in no real danger. Then the only ones in the league in danger are the two below us? Personally don't agree with that view
Drove for 5 hours on the motorway yesterday. Metres and seconds away from danger and death. However, past experience and confidence in myself and others meant that whilst an accident was something to be aware of the possibility of, it was never a real worry or concern.

If we were just a point ahead and Newport were consistently showing much better form than us then I would be more worried. All the evidence suggests we will fluctuate in the bracket of 4 to 12 points ahead of them from now til the end of the season. Got to be aware of their possible threat, but no immediate danger yet.
Robin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGw5EGVvtn0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pete Johnson says he's already spoken to three potential signings and he's expecting 4-5 players to come in during the summer and most of the work will be done early.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good to see Ralph! Great that PJ/GJ are continuing the rebuild and strengthening started in January. Hopefully will put paid to the confusion and grief some still have over last summer's recruitment policy.
confused.com
Not too sure what your point is. All I said was by your logic all are safe except the two below us. Still think we are in danger
Ralph
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Good to see Ralph! Great that PJ/GJ are continuing the rebuild and strengthening started in January. Hopefully will put paid to the confusion and grief some still have over last summer's recruitment policy.
as usual, you don't pay attention to the post you are replying to..
horlickfanclub
Still feeling the grief Regency.