Barnet v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon http://bit.ly/BarnetHiveAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jon Palmer
One change, Russ on his team here: http://bit.ly/BarnetHiveAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Orient losing 3-0 at HT. They can be written off. Newport 1-0 at HT. If it stays like that we are another game closer.
Rulistening
From 1-1 to 3-1 in 3 minutes..? Disgraceful collapse. Can only wait to here from people who went to the game but that is simply NOT good enough. It was discussed in another thread but I seriously worry with how long Milton is in charge for. We won't keep getting away with "but the ones below us lost today also". I am now getting seriously worried about us
Benctfc
Milton out of his depth im afraid need someone in the help asap or I seriously worry for our L2 status.
Robin
Have been told by someone at the game that Russ was majorly at fault today, Barnet were apparently woeful and we collapsed under no pressure.

I have to say I am losing faith and we desperately need SC to come back until end of the season.
Reliant Robin
We are in the brown and tacky.

Pinning hopes on Stoz making the difference next week, to help get us over the line. It's looking desperate now, nervously looking over our shoulders. Feel sorry for Dan Wright and Billy Waters who have given their all today. Not sure why Jordan Cranston came on with 10 minutes left, why not Dan Holman? Game was already lost.
COYB
Benctfc wrote:Milton out of his depth im afraid need someone in the help asap or I seriously worry for our L2 status.
Russell Milton did not makes the mistakes on the pitch, the players did. I am sure he would have discussed team selection with Gary Johnson so it's down to the players. It's all very well having very young group of quick defenders but you also need experience when the chips are down.
I-Love-CTFC
Milton out.
Benctfc
COYB wrote:
Benctfc wrote:Milton out of his depth im afraid need someone in the help asap or I seriously worry for our L2 status.
Russell Milton did not makes the mistakes on the pitch, the players did. I am sure he would have discussed team selection with Gary Johnson so it's down to the players. It's all very well having very young group of quick defenders but you also need experience when the chips are down.
It's about motivating players or in game management he doesn't have it im afraid. If its all down to players why bother having managers?
Nesty
It is clear we have no leader on the pitch (or currently off it), I cannot believe we are in this situation after such a fantastic season.
Benctfc
Also how can the likes of Munns and Hall not get into this team? Pell is a shadow of the player he was last year and Rowe is a joke. Seems some players get more chances than others.
Reliant Robin
Suspect it's now between us and Newport for the drop (Orient virtually gone already)

Remaining Newport Fixtures: Predicted points
01/04 Home to Crawley: 1
08/04 Away to Exeter: 0
14/04 Home to Yeovil: 3
17/04 Away to Plymouth: 0
22/04 Home to Accrington: 1
29/04 Away to Carlisle: 1
06/05 Home to Notts County: 3
Total points: 9 (42 points in total)

Remaining CTFC games:
01/04 Home to Morecambe: 3 (optimistic)
08/04 Away to Wycombe: 0 (No Scotty)
14/04 Away to Crawley: 0
17/04 Home to Grimsby: 1
22/04 Away to Blackpool: 0
29/04 Home to Hartlepool: 3 (most critical game of season????)
06/05 Away to Portsmouth: 0
Total points: 7 (46 points in total)

If the above prediction occurs, we stay up by being 4 points ahead of Newport
Last edited by Reliant Robin on 25 Mar 2017, 17:51, edited 2 times in total.
Robin
I'm starting to dislilke Cranston it's not his fault he tries and gives his all but he seems to come on way too often for one of the weaker players in the squad. What has happened to Diego, he needs to start.
London Exile
5 game seasons now given that we have,at present, a 6 point lead.
Our 3 home games are absolutely massive. Win a hose and we'll be in L2 next year I feel
I-Love-CTFC
Robin wrote:I'm starting to dislilke Cranston it's not his fault he tries and gives his all but he seems to come on way too often for one of the weaker players in the squad. What has happened to Diego, he needs to start.
No point calling for Diego, don't think you'll see him in a Cheltenham shirt again.
jxb
Russ body language all wrong during post game video interview. Head down, no eye contact - the man needs some help
Jon Palmer
Video interviews with Russell Milton and Danny Wright now here: http://bit.ly/BarnetHiveAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COYB
Benctfc wrote:
COYB wrote:
It's about motivating players or in game management he doesn't have it im afraid. If its all down to players why bother having managers?

Yes motivation is key on and off the pitch but equally Russ Milton did not capitulate on the pitch, the players did. It's a shared responsibility ultimately but calling for RM to be replaced is not necessarily the answer. People are acting like we were flying high when RM took over, we weren't. We had won 3 x games and were still low down in the league. Everyone needs to front up but they'll all know that already.
I-Love-CTFC
In Johnson's last 4 games we 4 clean sheets on the spin. Under Milton's control we've conceded 9 goals in 4 games.
Tells you all you need to do know. No organisation and no leadership.
Ralph
Yep it's scary. We can not afford to go down. We won't be back any time soon. The new MD needs to be able to start off with us in L2

Russ is a legend here but he's not a manager
Daveangel
London Exile wrote:5 game seasons now given that we have,at present, a 6 point lead.
Our 3 home games are absolutely massive. Win a hose and we'll be in L2 next year I feel
Don't water the pitch with it ffs, would be a mudbath! :D
Nesty
I know I keep saying it but those 2 points we dropped............
Alf
I think it would be a futile exercise bringing in an interim manager for seven games. Now is not the time to panic in the same way we did after Mark Yates left. We panicked then, threw money around and look what happened.I just think it's unrealistic to expect an outsider to come in for a few games and get the players to respond.
I-Love-CTFC
Spot on tweet from Mark Halliwell: https://twitter.com/MarkHalliwell1/stat ... 8516680705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our players have been given an extremely easy ride.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I am not going to criticise Russ too much. He hasn't chosen to be in position and isn't manager - it is just an unfortunate situation he has been thrown into.

I would like to see him take the fight though. Against Cambridge we were 1-0 down and switched strikers and midfielders in like for like changes whilst keeping five defenders on. Russ needs the courage to change the shape and formation during the game.

But, another game down and Newport's challenge becomes even harder. We will be safe before too long.
Robin
If we had won yesterday against a bad Barnet team we would be on the verge of safety hence the huge frustration. We simply need to beat Morecambe next week.
Hubert Parry
I must have been to hundreds of football matches in my life but I've never known a team to play so defensively and completely buckle after realizing that the opposition supporters, in unison, were booing and shouting for the manager's head. Any team with a fragment of confidence would have sensed blood and put them to the sword.

It's a collective problem but I didn't sense any leadership from the dugout or the pitch.

Storer has to return as captain next week, and ideally, I'd like an experienced number two to come in to assist RM.
Del Boy
Robin wrote:If we had won yesterday against a bad Barnet team we would be on the verge of safety hence the huge frustration. We simply need to beat Morecambe next week.
But we didn't. I find it strange when people refer to other teams as bad - do you not realise how awful we are?? This is probably the worst side we've had since getting into the league and yet some think we'll be keeping most of the players next season.

This squad doesn't need a 'tweak' it needs a wholesale clear out. I just hope we can scramble a few points and that Newport and Leyton Orient don't get the wins they need.

And this is what it's come to. How depressing. To think a few years ago not making the play-offs was deemed failure.
Alf
I think you have hit the nail on the head Hubert. There's nothing wrong in defending a one nil lead if you have the players to do it. Steve Cotts did this often and was successful but with the Barnet team in disarray we should have gone for the kill. Instead, we handed the incentive back to the opposition and payed for it. We need a change of tactics and attitude, changing personnel every few months is not going to help. This is the same group of players who were world beaters a couple of weeks ago. We need to rekindle that.
London Exile
Daveangel wrote:
London Exile wrote:5 game seasons now given that we have,at present, a 6 point lead.
Don't water the pitch with it ffs, would be a mudbath! :D
Damn predictive text! Home, win at home that should read Dave. Definitively no hose :D
horlickfanclub
Outmanaged.Barnet figured us out by halftime. This has happened a lot this season. We should have been going for the kill not resting on a one goal lead. We need some leadership. Downes must start on Saturday to organise things. Why take Wright off? We needed experience on the pitch and his prescence at corners.
We need goals now from Dan Holman and he must start and try to get some shots in. Why did James Rowe come on?

Out tactics are poor and need changing.We may see more from the players if we had some width and balance.
Robin
Del Boy wrote:
Robin wrote:If we had won yesterday against a bad Barnet team we would be on the verge of safety hence the huge frustration. We simply need to beat Morecambe next week.
But we didn't. I find it strange when people refer to other teams as bad - do you not realise how awful we are?? This is probably the worst side we've had since getting into the league and yet some think we'll be keeping most of the players next season.

This squad doesn't need a 'tweak' it needs a wholesale clear out. I just hope we can scramble a few points and that Newport and Leyton Orient don't get the wins they need.

And this is what it's come to. How depressing. To think a few years ago not making the play-offs was deemed failure.
I disagree I would have this team above three of the seasons Yates was here and failing miserably. This team romped the league below last year and teams who come up normally do well, this is why I feel people are giving some goodwill. That said, if we find ourselves in the bottom third of this league next year I will not be so patient.
Del Boy
We'll have to agree to disagree - the only team I can remember that's worse is the one Buckle left us with.

The table doesn't lie and the lack of goals underlines what a miserable season this has been and just shows what a fantastic job Yates did.

It really is incredible it's little more than two years since anything but the play-offs was failure. Now third from bottom is success, it seems.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree - the only team I can remember that's worse is the one Buckle left us with.

The table doesn't lie and the lack of goals underlines what a miserable season this has been and just shows what a fantastic job Yates did.

It really is incredible it's little more than two years since anything but the play-offs was failure. Now third from bottom is success, it seems.
Agree with most of that. Dire season and the goals scored column is embarrassing.

I don't think anyone considers third bottom a success. It is just the least worst option and better than relegation. Time to write this season off and focus on trying to have some success next season