New away grounds for 2017/18

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Now the sun is starting to shine on the end of this forgetful season we can start looking forward to August and the next campaign.

None of the teams battling to come up from non-league will be new venues for a CTFC league fixture.

Looking at L1, Coventry are dead certs for the drop so the Ricoh will be a first. And Charlton are not out of contention.
Robin
Coventry will surely be a popular trip, really hope we can take 1000+ next season, assuming they are still at the Ricoh and they are sure to bring 2000 here if we could cater for them.
theidlerich
So pleased to see RCS and Robin so optimistic....... the dice is still rolling......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Coventry will surely be a popular trip, really hope we can take 1000+ next season, assuming they are still at the Ricoh and they are sure to bring 2000 here if we could cater for them.
Will be the first fixture I look out for.

Will Coventry be our closest away game next season?
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:Coventry will surely be a popular trip, really hope we can take 1000+ next season, assuming they are still at the Ricoh and they are sure to bring 2000 here if we could cater for them.

No. Swindon will be ;)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

No. Swindon will be ;)
Ha good point.
horlickfanclub
Forest Green will be our closest fixture.
Shade
horlickfanclub wrote:Forest Green will be our closest fixture.
No chance. Lincoln or Tranmere, whichever doesn't win the division, will win the play-offs this season. There won't be any surprises.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Forest Green will be our closest fixture.
April Fools Day was five days ago.

Unless they battle through to the FA Cup proper and draw us, we shan't be playing the non-leaguers.
longmover
We're not out of the woods yet, lets leave these threads will we're safe.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:We're not out of the woods yet, lets leave these threads will we're safe.
Same way Baker signed off another groundshare last March because the Board "didn't know what league we'd be in" when it was obvious to all we were Champions.
Shade
To keep the doubters happy ;)

Have we played at AFC Fylde before? They're going to be in the NL next season, so that could be a new ground.
I know we've played Maidstone United before but don't know if they've had a new ground since then.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
LOL you joker.
leohoenig
Shade wrote:To keep the doubters happy ;)

Have we played at AFC Fylde before? They're going to be in the NL next season, so that could be a new ground.
I know we've played Maidstone United before but don't know if they've had a new ground since then.
Technically, we have not played the current Maidstone United club, as the one we played folded in 1992.
The new club was founded out of a youth club called Maidstone Invicta, they moved to their current ground in 2012

AFC Fylde were formed in 1988 by the merger of Kirkham Town and Wesham, initially playing under the name Kirkham & Wesham
They won the West Lancashire League seven times in eight seasons at the start of the century, before moving up to the North West Counties League. This was only possible due to a move to an enclosed ground in 2006. This meant they could enter the FA Vase, playing their first FA Vase game on 8/September 2007, beating Worsbrough Bridge 3-1. This was my tick of the ground. They went onto Wembley, winning the Vase with a 2-1 win over Lowestoft.

It was Kirkham & Wesham's only FA Vase season, as they took up the name AFC Fylde in 2008. They moved out of Kellamergh Park after only ten years there, opening the Mill Farm ground this season. I am saving this one, as it appears almost inevitable that we will play them sometime soon. They have plenty of case behind them, but they are not making the sort of losses that Forest Green do.
Arny
WOW if ever a club needs a kiss of death this thread is it.
Already discussing next seasons away fixtures when it could be one of two is mind-boggling.
Should Cheltenham stay up as seems likely, there are a choice of two from five clubs coming up that Cheltenham have already played last season. Obvious Lincoln and Tranmere are favourites but FGR or D & G or perhaps Aldershot cannot be discounted. And remember last season Grimsby were 4th and got themselves promoted.
Coming down looks like Coventry, who have pitch as bad as ours, Chesterfield look doomed but there are about seven above those two that could fall, including our near neighbours Swindon.
And if Gillingham fall it will be an opportunity to renew rivalry with Ady Pennock.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
This season needs the kiss of death and forgotten. And the non-league stuff in this thread needs moved to other footy.
confused.com
It was you that started it lol
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Coventry relegation confirmed. Looking forward to my first visit to the Ricoh next season! Hopefully CTFC can take close to 1,000.

They should put us on as an early kick off and the Wasps vs Cherry & Shites match an evening kick off and sell a double header ticket option which may encourage some floaters/ruggers to watch CTFC.

I remember last time we played at Leicester the car park we used was full of Shirefolk in red in white: most of them going to Leicester vs Glos rugby match rather than the footy.
robinsrule
How many did we take to Leicester for our one and only visit? I know we got smashed 4-0!

I think numbers to Cov would depend on how we are doing but at least 1,000 seems reasonable. I look forward to taking another 6 points of Swindon - would much prefer to play them than a horrible trip to Gillingham!
Robin
I didn't go to Leicester but I think it was around 700 however we were having a nightmare season at the time. With Coventry only an hour away a thousand fans seems realistic.
Jerry St Clair
Call me Mr Old Fashioned, but I don't see the attraction of Coventry.

It's a big, white elephant of a stadium, on the outskirts of Coventry near the motorway. Miles from the station and miles from any decent pubs and it'll be almost entirely empty for our visit. So, no thanks.

Swindon on the other hand.......I'd be all over that like a rash.
confused.com
Jerry St Clair wrote:Call me Mr Old Fashioned, but I don't see the attraction of Coventry.

It's a big, white elephant of a stadium, on the outskirts of Coventry near the motorway. Miles from the station and miles from any decent pubs and it'll be almost entirely empty for our visit. So, no thanks.

Swindon on the other hand.......I'd be all over that like a rash.
very true and who knows if they will be there next year. The other white elephant is the train station beside it, short platform and very few trains
Robin
Coventry will be the biggest club in the division and also our closest fixture (if Swindle don't come down), they play in a Premiership standard stadium too. Granted it will probably only be a third full but I'd take that over a trip to Stevenage/Exeter/Accrington etc. in front on one man and his dog on some horrible away terrace.
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote:Coventry will be the biggest club in the division and also our closest fixture (if Swindle don't come down), they play in a Premiership standard stadium too. Granted it will probably only be a third full but I'd take that over a trip to Stevenage/Exeter/Accrington etc. in front on one man and his dog on some horrible away terrace.
We probably want different things from our football then. These concrete bowls, with their plastic seats surrounded by retail parks on ring roads are horrible places to watch football. Give me an old ground hemmed in by rows of houses and a terrace with a tin roof any day.
robinsrule
I see what you are saying Jerry but at somewhere like Cov we would have a decent view and we could make a good racket with 1,000 or so there. I do agree that it is sad to see a big new stadium almost empty. I feel for their fans, screwed over by the owners - a familiar tale of modern football.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
robinsrule wrote:I see what you are saying Jerry but at somewhere like Cov we would have a decent view and we could make a good racket with 1,000 or so there. I do agree that it is sad to see a big new stadium almost empty. I feel for their fans, screwed over by the owners - a familiar tale of modern football.
Stadium quite full every other week when its owners, Wasps, are at home.
London Exile
The new south stand terrace at Maidstone looks as though it provides an excellent view as does the AFC Fylde away stand at their new ground.

Let's hope it's festive fixtures against Coventry rather than Solihull Moors in 2017/18