New keeper

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Could well be: http://bit.ly/LoanCTFCGK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
confused.com
Hmmmmmm
Reliant Robin
He's a big lad. 6ft 4ins.

Higher League experience.

If he's keen to turn out for the Robins let's make him very welcome, even though it's just the one game.

If he stops Akinfenwa from scoring against us, job done!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nice free day out in Bucks for the lad if the Echo are right. No pressure on him and he can treat it like a friendly (and not risk in injury with 50/50 blocks). A clean sheet or let in four makes no difference to him. At least RL would be desperate to make an impression and help the club.
confused.com
Again RCS agree. Given choice between 3rd choice at a struggling league 1 and our own 3rd choice. Give the lad a chance. Hope our solo cap performs on the day
Shade
Except if he's third choice at Bury he needs to put himself in the shop window for a club in League 2.
CTFC03
We should use Lovett, saves us money and it gives a youngster a chance, if we lose the game because of Lovett then fair enough at least we gave the lad a chance. The games are important but if we go down this season it won't be because we played a youngster at Wycombe it will be because of games like Newport at home (2 dropped points), Plymouth home and away (conceding last minute goals) and poor recruitment in the summer.

"He is fantastic in training and while he is not the biggest he gets to shot he has not right to get to". Speaks for itself, play him!
Reliant Robin
So, if we played young Lovett, who would we have on the bench?

Young Lewis Clayton? Or is the risk too great, with two very young inexperienced Lads?

Would it be fair exposing them both to a highly pressurised away game, where either of them could find it extremely daunting - and be in no doubt at all that they would be targeted by Wycombe/Akinfenwa to see whether they were up to it and to maximise the opportunities against them.

Absolutely the right thing to do is to bring in an emergency loan 'keeper with League experience, as much to protect our two young Lads from a baptism of fire, as an aside to winning the game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Booky or no sub keeper on the bench. For one game it hardly matters.

Rejection like this must be a body blow to RL. Hope he proves people wrong in the future.
confused.com
It wouldn't be the first time we didn't have a keeper on the bench, so no real problem on that one.
I know I was not a great supporter of the 'give the lads a go in league 2'. But surely this young lad should be given the same backing?
horlickfanclub
We should play Lovett. He may be the next Les White.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fans want to see Lovett. I hope the FED makes this clear to the Board.
kora
Right lets play Rhys, Akinfenwa lands on him early on, can't continue, then what. Getting turned over 6-0 is the last thing our players confidence needs. Also bring someone in gives us a chance to have a look at him for next season, 2 proverbial birds ready for the pot.
Oldun
Once again the "wise" on this site are making complete idiots of themselves! The Johnson brothers with Booky and Russ have a bit of experience in the game and yet the all knowing on here want the youngster put in and the Board to be made aware of the displeasure of the fans! What absolute nonsense!
We do not know the reason why the Management have decided to go with an outsider and not our own lad. Maybe he himself feels he is not ready; maybe others on here are correct regarding the big opposition forward.
Who knows the reason? GJ et al know the reason and I for one respect their great experience in the game and their FULL knowledge of the player and the situation.
I wonder if one of these days will GJ and his team be given a break by the antis on here! No I know that is not likely!!!!!
BURYFC
Probably the best signing your tinpot club has ever made. I know your training facilities are probably a cows field but look after him will you.
Jon Palmer
Goalkeeper number 10 (+ Damian Spencer!) to play for the club in the Football League: http://bit.ly/10thCTFCFLGK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
confused.com
BURYFC wrote:Probably the best signing your tinpot club has ever made. I know your training facilities are probably a cows field but look after him will you.
Probably one of the most amusing posts ever
Reliant Robin
BURYFC wrote:Probably the best signing your tinpot club has ever made. I know your training facilities are probably a cows field but look after him will you.
Haha "Tinpot" just take a look at your Club's 'Honours' since you were formed in 1885. Reads more like a dishonour. That's Tinpot.

Your facilities are more like a medieval plague pit, somewhere to 'Bury' The Dead.

Get back in your box - we are happy to supply the nails ;)
andgarod
Our training facilities are excellent I will have you know
However you must be talking about our home pitch which has been described as a cow field but it is actually more like a beach with tussocks of grass.
Anyway we are away tomorrow so not a problem
Thanks for the loan
confused.com
Thank you for your opinion oldun, just as valid as any other expressed here
BURYFC
Reliant Robin wrote:
Haha "Tinpot" just take a look at your Club's 'Honours' since you were formed in 1885. Reads more like a dishonour. That's Tinpot.

Your facilities are more like a medieval plague pit, somewhere to 'Bury' The Dead.

Eh? You must have missed the part where we won the FA Cup twice. Spent more time in the first division that your tinpot club has spent in the Football League!
Oldun
You are right Confused. Valid! Also, which you failed to mention, positive and respectful!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lancs and Mancs not welcome on the RNF. Wanna be Northerners who in reality are post-industrial midlanders with grotty architecture.
Shade
BURYFC wrote:
Reliant Robin wrote:

Eh? You must have missed the part where we won the FA Cup twice.
1900 and 1903 :lol: Missed you posting on here, you delusional northern monkey.
confused.com
Oldun wrote:You are right Confused. Valid! Also, which you failed to mention, positive and respectful!
Fail to see what is negative about preferring to play our own player? Merely a difference of opinion which I believe has been respectfully put forward by all, whichever position they support. No doubting GJ etc experience, but don't believe they are annointed with papal infallibility ;)
confused.com
Still laughing about the best signing comment pmsl
dedwardp
Saw Lainton play for Bury at Colchester last season and he saved absolutely everything, he looked really good.
asl
Shade wrote:Missed you posting on here, you delusional northern monkey.
You're probably the only one that has... Isn't he the tool who'd trolled on here for fully three weeks ahead of a match between our two teams - only for us to win 4-1 or summat in their back yard?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
You're probably the only one that has... Isn't he the tool who'd trolled on here for fully three weeks ahead of a match between our two teams - only for us to win 4-1 or summat in their back yard?
He sure is. When he thought Bury would storm the title and we turned them over. They could well be dropping to L2 next season - so we can wallop them again.
BURYFC
asl wrote:
I think you will find its us who won 4-1 :lol:

As for the training facilities comment. We bought Carrington training complex off Manchester City when they moved to the Etihad Campus. Facilities Tinpot Cheltenham could only dream of, will be quite a come down for Rob that's for sure.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If he is so much above us, why is he not playing for you?
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 07 Apr 2017, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reliant Robin
BURYFC wrote:
Eh? You must have missed the part where we won the FA Cup twice. Spent more time in the first division that your tinpot club has spent in the Football League!
Jeez, you guys really have to scrape the barrel of 'success' don't you? Those FA Cup wins were in the days of not many teams, massive moustaches with shorts to match and hair greased flat and neatly parted straight down the middle. I expect you haven't changed much either, trying to emulate your heroes ;)

As for League 1, well, well, well, massive ambition there then eh? Never really progressed did you? Hmmm ... a decent definition of a Tinpot club.

Enjoy this beautiful black and white clip featuring 'Charles Charlie-Charles' to remind you of those glorious days of your youth:

https://youtu.be/y4CXY6TVBMc
tunnelvision
BURYFC wrote:Probably the best signing your tinpot club has ever made.
Obviously, you've never heard of Jack Butland then! :roll:
Shade
Don't feed the troll guys. I'm not sure it was when Josh Low scored a hat trick past them when we beat them 5-2, or when we still won 1-0 at their place on the opening day of a season when we were ultimately rubbish and were relegated, but I remember the trolling for weeks, then we beat them and not another peep was heard until...well, yesterday.
Nesty
one thing I hope we do in the summer is sign our own goalkeeper and not go down the loan route.