Tactics for Crawley

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Try and keep it tight, or gamble with three up front?
Robin
I'd rather we went there with intent to win, I believe we are a better team than they are based upon the game at our place.
Ctfc02
Go for it with 3 at the back because no cranners and Barts

Brown
Manny Tin Boyle
Winny Stoz Pelly Munnsy
Bill Holman Wright
FOD_Wyman_2010
If Davis or Barts are fit I would go:

Brown
Manny Tin Boyle Davis/Barts
Winny Stoz Pell
Bill Woots/Wright Holman

4-3-3 or 4-5-1 when defending could be perfect for the type of test that Crawley will provide which is likely to be big and direct.

I agree that we have a real chance to take at least a point here. They folded at Newport recently so are certainly no world beaters.
FOD_Wyman_2010
For what its worth, I feel Newport are going to drop points on Saturday against Yeovil.

They have been playing with a nothing to lose mentality and were expected to lose games such as Exeter and Pompy away. The mentality suddenly shifts when you get to within 3 points of escaping and are playing a very beatable opponent. It suddenly becomes very achievable which shifts the mentality completely. I expect them to be cagey and while the pitch is still in their favour, I feel it'll be a draw.

On the flip side, I think Hartlepool have a real chance of getting a win against Carlisle at home. Carlisle are in free fall and other than a win at Yeovil, have been losing games left, right and centre. Hartlepool are also in poor form but at home they are going to see this as a real chance to lift themselves before the Orient game. I believe they are going to take at least four points from the next two games so we need to match that if we can.
longmover
Just win, I don't care how.
westernshore
Again I ask
Where or what has happened to Daniel O'Shaughnessy. According to our acting manager in his pre-match video
The only person injured or sick is our reserve goalie. So what has happened to O'Shaughnessy. Imo O'Shaughnessy
Was the only summer signing that was relatively successful during the first half of the season, particularly in terms
Of the defense which didn't he function that well. According to the Statistics he has played 26 league games (in his
first season in the football league) scored 4 goals and has two Assists. He has also played in 8-10 cup matches. So
What has happened to him. Imo he has has quite good a season, defensively and his distribution is very good

FOD_Wyman_2010
He's injured and out for the season isn't he?
MSB
He's injured and out for the rest of the season.
Was reported a while back.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Barts is out for the season too isn't he?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:For what its worth, I feel Newport are going to drop points on Saturday against Yeovil.

They have been playing with a nothing to lose mentality and were expected to lose games such as Exeter and Pompy away. The mentality suddenly shifts when you get to within 3 points of escaping and are playing a very beatable opponent. It suddenly becomes very achievable which shifts the mentality completely. I expect them to be cagey and while the pitch is still in their favour, I feel it'll be a draw.

On the flip side, I think Hartlepool have a real chance of getting a win against Carlisle at home. Carlisle are in free fall and other than a win at Yeovil, have been losing games left, right and centre. Hartlepool are also in poor form but at home they are going to see this as a real chance to lift themselves before the Orient game. I believe they are going to take at least four points from the next two games so we need to match that if we can.
Could well be right. Amazing what impact pressure and psychology has on teams.

On paper, based on 41 games so far, the three strugglers (Newport, Hartlepool, Cheltenham) should all fail to lose. If anyone is going to buck the odds we need to make sure we do.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Hartlepool's season is going to be defined in the next three. Home against a Carlisle team in free fall, away to Orient which should be 3 points and then home to a poor Barnet team. If by the time they get to us they are still behind us (or only marginally in front), it will be very tough for them. They have Doncaster at home on the last day which will not be easy.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:Hartlepool's season is going to be defined in the next three. Home against a Carlisle team in free fall, away to Orient which should be 3 points and then home to a poor Barnet team. If by the time they get to us they are still behind us (or only marginally in front), it will be very tough for them. They have Doncaster at home on the last day which will not be easy.
Be worth watching Soccer Saturday on the last day if they need a win vs Donny to stay up! :lol:
FOD_Wyman_2010
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:Hartlepool's season is going to be defined in the next three. Home against a Carlisle team in free fall, away to Orient which should be 3 points and then home to a poor Barnet team. If by the time they get to us they are still behind us (or only marginally in front), it will be very tough for them. They have Doncaster at home on the last day which will not be easy.
Be worth watching Soccer Saturday on the last day if they need a win vs Donny to stay up! :lol:
Jeff is a national treasure. He got very excited on Saturday after they took the lead at Morecambe. I suspect if Hartlepool are still in contention come the last day then we will all be at Pompy wont we? :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Only if the free transport called for by the fans is provided.
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Only if the free transport called for by the fans is provided.
By fans you mean 'you'.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Only if the free transport called for by the fans is provided.
By fans you mean 'you'.
Not at all. I seemed to have cottoned on to the idea well after it was doing the rounds amongst the fanbase. I shan't be going to game so doesn't bother me.
Shade
Sounds like Davis won't be fit for Friday so we've basically got Manny and Winchester that can play right back, and nobody that can really play left back, unless we want to risk Plavotic there. I think 3 at the back and wing-backs might be a bit of a necessity. 3-4-3 with the wide midfielders getting up and down.
Robin
If Davis isn't fit who plays on the left then? I assume it has to be Dayton.
Ctfc02
Robin wrote:If Davis isn't fit who plays on the left then? I assume it has to be Dayton.
Or this guy we have called Jack Munns. I think he's played a couple of senior games at some point.
joes dad
Scotty
Manny Boyle Tin
Winchester Billy Pell Storer Rowe
Dan Wrighty
Shade
Robin wrote:If Davis isn't fit who plays on the left then? I assume it has to be Dayton.
Usually Billy, isn't it, although he's been further forward the last couple of games. I wouldn't have Munns on the left though. Whereas I would be for him getting some games, he's proven he's better off in the middle where he can move into either channel.
confused.com
irrespective of the tactics employed, with both Pool and Newport having winnable home games, we need 3 points tomorrow. Otherwise come Friday evening we could find ourselves 1 point from relegation zone.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I predict we will be four points clear come Monday 5pm.
everyman
Scramble a draw and expect the others near us to lose.