Next Year

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ctfc02
I think a lot of town fans after today are thinking we are safe and I think it is unlikely we will go down now

I think there is still a lot of recruitment needed for next year

GK - I think it's unlikely that Browny will come back so we need a new no.1 definitely
LB - I think Cranners has to move on. Liam Davis will stay but a LB should be on the list
CB - Downes won't play next year at CTFC (either moving on or becoming coach) and Tin and Manny are on Loan. If we could bring either one back that would be good but otherwise another position to strengthen
RB - Barts is good enough maybe a back up??

CM - Plenty of good options (I would keep Rowe)
LM - I think Munns will leave so a backup for Billy or Davis
RM - Dayton should stay and Pelly is obviously capable up there
ST - Both dans to stay but another target man option needed. Maybe another loan (someone who actually stays - unlike Diego)

Overall it's a big summer for our targets next year. If we go down this goes out the window but the core of a good side is there. Just time to pad it out with League 2 quality players.
Nesty
Ctfc02 wrote:I think a lot of town fans after today are thinking we are safe and I think it is unlikely we will go down now

I think there is still a lot of recruitment needed for next year

GK - I think it's unlikely that Browny will come back so we need a new no.1 definitely
a new keeper is a must - our keeper too and not a loan

LB - I think Cranners has to move on. Liam Davis will stay but a LB should be on the list
CB - Downes won't play next year at CTFC (either moving on or becoming coach) and Tin and Manny are on Loan. If we could bring either one back that would be good but otherwise another position to strengthen
RB - Barts is good enough maybe a back up??

CM - Plenty of good options (I would keep Rowe)
LM - I think Munns will leave so a backup for Billy or Davis
RM - Dayton should stay and Pelly is obviously capable up there
cant see Dayton being here

ST - Both dans to stay but another target man option needed. Maybe another loan (someone who actually stays - unlike Diego)

Overall it's a big summer for our targets next year. If we go down this goes out the window but the core of a good side is there. Just time to pad it out with League 2 quality players.
Oldun
We will need a keeper;two quality full backs; a Downsy type replacement; a creative midfielder and a 20 goal striker. Can't see Dayts staying or Munnsy so we will need some quality to be on bench.It has to be said that the quality against us this season has been awful and it won't take a lot to get out of this league. Can anyone name opposition teams that have impressed here this season?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Gary knows what is needed, and like the summer of 2015 I expect an influx of quality and determined players.
Del Boy
The opposition may not have impressed but most of them are above us in the table. We need a complete overhaul.

Not really sure who is contracted next season but I wouldn't keep many of them. Munns, Dayton, Rowe, Downes, Barthram, Storer, Waters, Wright, Cranston all easily replaceable.

I can't agree we've got the core of a good league two side. There must be some reason we've been so poor this season.
Shade
DO'S is definitely a keep - why would we let him go?

I'd like to see Munns stay, but only if he'll be given a chance to prove himself. I'd also like Dayts to stay but maybe I'm being sentimental. I do feel he has something to give still but it depends on him having a full pre-season and staying fit and playing for a long period.
Oldun
Would keep def keep Rowe and Waters as good to have on bench. DOS certainty to stay as well as he will be good.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Add up the points since (and including) the Accrington victory - i.e. when the current squad started to take shape - and we have 26 points from 19 games, or 1.368 points per game.

Over 46 games that would be 62 points, so a mid-table squad.
CTFC03
I hope we hold on to Davis, quality player on his day!
Robin
I will respond without reading the other comments. Firstly according to the comments from Pete Johnson we are looking at signing 5-6 players come the summer so a mass overhaul is unlikely. In my eyes of those 5-6 at least 3-4 need to be better than we have and considered part of the first eleven.

Keeper
I think it's an open secret we will try to sign Scott Brown, if Wycombe won't release him then we need similar standard experienced lower league keeper to come in, unless Dillon becomes available (may not be unrealistic depending upon what happens at Charlton over the summer). So Keeper is a definite. I suspect we will retain Callum and Rhys as cover too unless they want first team football.

Defence
I would release Cranston however the mgmt. seem to like him for what ever reason. I would hope Davis would stay as he has power and pace but he seems to be in and out of the team a little too much for me to be sure he's staying. Boyle and Bower have a contract, O'Shoggers you would imagine will follow. Parslow will go and I suspect Downes will remain as player coach and back up cover. I would keep Manny if he's released but I wouldn't pay a fee for him and I think he has one year left on his deal. Tin the same at Bristol City, neither player likely to make the first team so they could return on loan but I feel we could find better out there, especially a more powerful centre half. Right back is interesting, Barts has been in the freezer for large parts of the season, I hope he's offered new terms but he could go. Lymm is another funny one, he may be retained one more year but equally could be released. Either way 1-2 centre halves and 1-2 full backs must be on the hit list. Parslow as we know is likely to sign for York.

Midfield
Pell and Winchester are already signed on and will surely be in the first eleven next year. Storer has proven when he's on the field he's an asset so will get a new deal in my mind. Rowe is good at times and poor at others, I feel he is one that could be released but will most likely stay. Munns/Dayton I suspect are touch and go, neither has been used much and I feel one will go but both could do a job. Anyway come the summer I'd like to see a combative midfielder and a pacey wide player signed on. Given Asa Hall at York I suspect he will also be released.

Strikers
This is where we have problems in my mind. Holman is signed on, playing well but not scoring. Waters has been great and will surely be given a new deal, could other clubs come sniffing? Wright has largely struggled but works tirelessly and I would like to keep him as back up. 3 strikers is not enough, I would not keep Kyle Wootton, other than as cover, he's OK just not done quite enough. So we need a target man for sure and I think one other striker too. AMS will almost certainly be released and sign for York.

So I suspect we will release the following Lymm, Parslow, Hall, AMS, Munns and maybe one of Rowe/Dayton. I would add Cranston to the list if I could. Hopefully in to come Scotty, 2-3 defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 strikers so a busy summer in store if I am correct.
Robin
Also which players have deals already am I correct in thinking only Dan Holman, Matt Bower and Harry Pell?
London Exile
Robin wrote:Also which players have deals already am I correct in thinking only Dan Holman, Matt Bower and Harry Pell?
Add Winchester and Boyle to the list
cheltsaxon
How can most of you leave Billy out???! hes been on of the best players this season and gives 100% every game and has 12 goals to his name!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Billy player of the season, just ahead of Stoz/Pell/Brown, in my opinion.
paperboy
cheltsaxon wrote:How can most of you leave Billy out???! hes been on of the best players this season and gives 100% every game and has 12 goals to his name!
Given that Pell was offered and accepted a new deal it's highly likely that Waters hasn't accepted a similar offer and hence we should assume that he will move on.
As he's under 24 at least we can get a fee I imagine ?
London Exile
Would be fantastic to secure L2 status next week and start getting some contracts sorted right away for the likes of Waters and Storer.
Malabus
London Exile wrote:Would be fantastic to secure L2 status next week and start getting some contracts sorted right away for the likes of Waters and Storer.
Good point.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote:Would be fantastic to secure L2 status next week and start getting some contracts sorted right away for the likes of Waters and Storer.
Been clear since January we were staying up, so hopefully this has been in progress.
confused.com
As we with expectation start to look towards next year, all players and the management / scouts should come under scrutiny. The season has been a disaster. We should not hve had to be waiting so long into the season for our league status to be secured. Recruitment has to be beter, management and scouting has to be better and performances on the pitch has to be better. We look like a one half team at times and that can't go on. No sentiment this summer and better recruitment all round.
Robin
According to the Pete Johnson interview I posted a few weeks back we are looking to get our business done early and targeting 5-6 players who can get us fighting towards the top end of the league. Easier said than done of course but I strongly suspect decisions have been made on the vast majority of this group and at least 1-2 players have verbally agreed to join us.
confused.com
I hope you are right Robin and I also hope the 5 or 6 are people who can take a place in the starting 11. In my opinion, for what it's worth. Recruitment this year has been a disaster, with only Boyle, Manny and Winchester showing signs of success. Of course Manny is not ours, so the overall result looks even poorer. The goodwill earned from NFL has been spent in all areas. Next season needs massive improvement all over
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:I hope you are right Robin and I also hope the 5 or 6 are people who can take a place in the starting 11. In my opinion, for what it's worth.
I think 5 or 6 to improve the starting 11 is a given and the minimum expectation of fans, manager, and board alike.

Don't think anyone will be suggesting anything less than that this summer.
Robin
confused.com wrote:I hope you are right Robin and I also hope the 5 or 6 are people who can take a place in the starting 11. In my opinion, for what it's worth. Recruitment this year has been a disaster, with only Boyle, Manny and Winchester showing signs of success. Of course Manny is not ours, so the overall result looks even poorer. The goodwill earned from NFL has been spent in all areas. Next season needs massive improvement all over
I agree recruitment as a whole has been poor but I would add O'Shoggers, Liam Davis, Scott Brown and Tin to your list of those that have done well.

Pike I thought was fine too before he got injured. Diego pretty obviously fell out with mgmt. otherwise the January recruitment was fine.

Last summer was where it all went wrong both in the quality of signing and the way we approached our business leaving things late rather than striking early as we did the year before.

If we are to truly only sign 5-6 this summer than I would hope to have 3-4 in place before pre-season training so they can integrate and we can hit the ground running.
confused.com
Robin,
Don't think we will agree on Scotty. I never have and don't think I ever will see him more than a good shot stopper. I think at times he spreads panic in the defence by some self imposed rule to not come out for the ball. May be wrong on this one and probably am, but was wondering after they scored their goal on Saturday, would that long looping cross have given Scotty enough time to claim it? Davis is like the parson egg and would argue has not done enough quite yet to earn the tag 'a success'? Tin I have enjoyed watching butam kind of tainted by the fact he can not get into the LB slot ahead of JC. Had hoped we would have been signing a replacement in that area instead of cover. In saying that JC had a decent game on Saturday.
theidlerich
Interesting thread, but surely we should wait until we are mathematically safe? Then it may be sensible to bring our considerable talents to plan the squad next year. Just a thought....
confused.com
Always one doom and gloom merchant lol. But couldn't agree more
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:Interesting thread, but surely we should wait until we are mathematically safe? Then it may be sensible to bring our considerable talents to plan the squad next year. Just a thought....
Been safe for weeks. Relax and enjoy the spring.
confused.com
Have backed too many sure things, only to see them go at the last. Will put off counting my chickens until they have ALL hatched
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Have backed too many sure things, only to see them go at the last. Will put off counting my chickens until they have ALL hatched
I already sold mine and am enjoying the income.
theidlerich
....feathering your nest early then....:)
confused.com
Or he gets paid chicken feed